driveshaft Info needed

Lou Earle

well,put the old taxi back onthe road fter a long rest. The driveshaft adn universals are pretty well done in.

I have tried to find the post about the new parrts needed for "modern" universal joint conversions. Would someone please direct em to the post or re post the info?

thanks

Lou

well,put the old taxi back onthe road fter a long rest. The driveshaft adn universals are pretty well done in.

I have tried to find the post about the new parrts needed for "modern" universal joint conversions. Would someone please direct em to the post or re post the info?

thanks

Lou

1946-48 Canadian Plymouth or Dodge D25, have modern type u--joints and yokes as did Desoto and Chrysler for the same years.

They utilize a Precision #302, which is a readily available u-joint from any parts store.

Now the thing is to either get those parts, or go with some type of modern conversion....

Here is a picture of the type of "modern" driveshaft Rockwood is talking about found in quite a few Canadian P15's and the Plymouth based Dodge D25. I have one on my '48 Dodge D25 and I have another one on a parts car. If anyone is interested, PM or email me. You would have to have the correct differential yoke as well but I have those also. I believe I will be getting access to another one from a hot rodder as well. They should be a direct bolt in for the ball and trunnion once the yoke is replaced.

DSCN5357.jpg

• 10 years later...

I bought the u joint kit for my 48 Plymouth from AB. The cross pin came out easily.  I had a local shop press the new one  in. Tried to put it all  back together  and the pin was swollen.  Rollers and balls would not fit.  Should the pin or the hole been heated?

2 hours ago, jgreg53 said:

I bought the u joint kit for my 48 Plymouth from AB. The cross pin came out easily.  I had a local shop press the new one  in. Tried to put it all  back together  and the pin was swollen.  Rollers and balls would not fit.  Should the pin or the hole been heated?

I looked thru the manual. Doesn't say anything about trouble with the rollers or balls. Most of the discussion is about the boot.  Only other thing is making sure the cross pin has no more than .006 difference of ends sticking out.

I did exactly that last fall. I had to cut I believe 2 rows off the small end and 1 off the big. Was hard to do but I managed to push it through the bell and out the other side. Reused my clamps and reassembled the bearings. Can't say how long it'll last as I only did it a couple weeks before winter storage but they seemed nice and flexible and I believe they'll last. 

Dorman 614-001 Uni-Fit C.V. Joint Boot Kit Outer up to 3.58 In. Diameter Compatible with Select Models https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000C13Q6W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3YPG8S339C5C3N073XPC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

most are till they rip.....just saying more have remarked on ripped boots than successful installs over the bearings..word of caution only....

I serviced the driveshaft last year and was going to replace both boots. But after struggling with the first one before finally getting it installed I had second thoughts about the other old boot. It had a split in it so I applied fusing silicon tape to the split as a bandaid. It is still intact but the new boot now is split.

I think I'll try the off-road motorcycle gaiters this time....cut to fit then clamp in place.

https://p15-d24.com/topic/55542-shock-gaiters-as-drive-shaft-boots/#comment-595919

shopping.jpeg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2011 at 12:19 PM, Lou Earle said:

thanks

Lou

I didn't realize how old this post is, maybe my response will help others.

This what you might want, this bolts right up to transmission or rear axle.  This is what was used to connect my newly made driveshaft to the transmission.  Also check ou the ideas in a thread I started.  I eventually went with a Cherokee rear axle and had a driveshaft made.  

Edited by 48ply1stcar
I didn't realize how old this post is, maybe my response will help others.