OT--Transporting a Vehicle

Joe Flanagan

Thank you, guys. I got a call from the driver earlier in the week, letting me know he was runniing a little late and would most likely be here early tomorrow morning. The former owner called me to tell me that they couldn't get the truck started when they went to load it on to the trailer, but I'll figure that out eventually. Thanks for all the encouragement and the offers to co-pilot a trip out to Arizona. I will take plenty of pictures tomorrow and post them here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe,The truck looks good,now sitting in your driveway..and your wife is smiling :)

Hey Joe, nice truck!

Throw a blanket on the seats, add plates and you are good to go.

Seriously, I would not be in any hurry to restore that truck or even do much prettifying. There is a lot of satisfaction in an old vehicle that looks its age and runs almost like new.

You've said the Plymouth will get finished before you start on the truck (other than daily-driver prep) — that's great and I wouldn't be surprised if you end up leaving it just like it is once you've experienced the charm of driving a ratty-old-original.

Congratulations. You done good.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the good words. This truck doesn't have an oil filter, which took me by surprise. I guess you have the option of adding one. The gas was really stale and was almost a brown-orange color so I drained the tank and stripped the fuel lines out of it. I'll be installing new tomorrow. Don't know yet whether to pull the tank and clean it.

It has a way to go before I can drive it. Turns out it doesn't have most of its exhaust system--everything from the muffler back is missing. The wiring is interesting in some places. Can't believe how much space there is under the hood. More than the Plymouth.

I have an old 55 Chevy 3100 series pick up in beige epoxy primer and I get more comments about it than I do about the 48 P-15. Question, what is it about guys that like old vehicles also seem to like old houses? I live in a 90 year old house that requires maintenance of different types most of the time, most of which I postpone until later. You know paint, screens, window glazing, old plumbing etc. I have rewired to modern standards, striped the out side to bare wood and sanded it before priming and repainting,removed the old glazing on 33 windows and re-glazed before painting them. Still have the plumbing to do and the screens to rebuild and screen, so what an I doing with three old vehicles of which one is an 80 Triumph T R 7 convertible?

They have a very limited following..on the average these cars are affordable toys to play with...even the V8 seems to be rather so so on the market.

Isn't that the same basic V8 that was used by British Leyland in the Rover (which was originally the aluminum V8 produced by Buick)?

Johns Broken Kitty of Dallas, Texas makes a kit to install a Buick V6 into the TR-7s which is a tremendous improvement over the 4 cylinder. He has been offering kits for Jaguar cars for about 20 years now so he has it down pretty good. I think one could squeeze a SBC into the engine bay if one tried hard enough. The car was free and I drove it home 20 years ago, got the alternator rebuilt after the owner hooked the battery up backwards. Started trying to get it ready for state inspection until Joseph Lucas took over the headlight operation, decided it was a project for another day, there it sits one eye open and one eye closed still 20 years later.

Looks great Joe. I look forward to seeing it in person. Maybe when Chet brings his car to N. Va. we can get together with him and Rodney and our various vehicles.

Jim Yergin

That possibility may still exist for this year but not likely. My daughter has the house next weekend so I am not allowed out in Delaware even though it’s my house. Then we are moving down the road toward Thanksgiving & Xmas. Who knows if the weather will cooperate maybe the weekend of the 19th.

Joe the truck looks great. Whether I bring the 48 to Virginia or not would love to drop by for a look see.

Chet…

I'd love to have you come by, Chet. I'm up to my elbows in parts and grease now.

Joe,

No problem I could drink beer and watch you sort out greasy parts. Actually it would be a learning experience on getting organized. Don’t worry I won’t ask a lot of questions. My dad cured me of that at a very young age by rendering me unconscious after just one too many questions while he was trying to get the dryer working. My mom always would yell at my dad, “don’t hit him in the head he’s crazy enough.” Today this would probably be consider child abuse but back in the day it was considered a learning experience. I must say it works.., because I never interrupt, I know better.

Chet...

Joe, glad you got the truck home. I went thru some problems getting the Nova home from Calif. I didn`t lose any money, just time. Getting them to do things in my time frame was the problem. Well the project for Dad&Lad got home on Halloween. We have our work cut out for us, but that is what we wanted---work time together. We have some rust issues and we got the pieces already to fix it. If you guys don`t mind I will show pics and progress if there is interest........Thanks........Lee

post-1652-13585364613488_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585364614224_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585364614955_thumb.jpg

Wow, that looks like an interesting project. Was the body dipped? Good thing you got the replacement pieces. Your son will get some good experience with welding.
The kid is 36 now and works at a body shop----the whole body was media blasted. This is just a re-run of what we did for him when he was 14......that truck sure looks good, will be nice when you get it on the road............Lee Edited by BeBop138
more info

Your truck looks pretty good Joe, I hope you post progress updates so we can follow along...

I'm still in love with my first car, my '53 chevy truck. I've had it for 30 years now, and my 12 yr old son has his eyes on it. I think in a year or two it will get it's much needed face lift and some mechanical re-do's so he can drive it for his first ride too.

Pete