OT--Transporting a Vehicle

Joe Flanagan

I've had just enough goading from you guys that I've been to Orbitz to price flights to Phoenix. Not that I'm actually going to do this or anything. Funny you should ask if there is someone who is "punchy" enough to go with me. I was just talking to my wife about this and we agreed that my brother John, the black sheep of a family of eight children, AKA Peena Boy, AKA Plant Ears, AKA Quince Head, Quincy, and John Q. Peen, would accompany me at the drop of a hat. He's living with a woman who's about to toss him out and it would probably be perfect timing. On the other hand, he eats like a horse and drinks like a fish, so it would be an added expense. Hotels wouldn't be an issue because he's the sort who would be perfectly happy sleeping under the truck.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Lady Michelle and I are in a hotel room in St Anne de Beaupre, Quebec this morning.

After my last post moments ago I was telling my beloved bride about you and your truck and the challenge of getting it home from AZ and that there were a few voices on the forum suggesting you drive it back to DC.

She asks me "does he have the mechanical skills to do that?" I say yes. She asks "does he have somebody to go with him for the trip?" I say don't think so, nothing's been mentioned. So then she says "That sounds like something you would really enjoy — maybe you could offer to go with him."

Isn't she just wonderful?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joe, my wife says I should help you drive that truck back to Virginia if you go that route. I don't want to cross her, so if you decide to drive it back and we can find a week that works for both of us, I would be delighted to be your co-pilot and co-mechanic.

bring her low across the southern states and I could be available for emergency repairs and recovery services within a resonable distance that is..I can't go with you..I know I would see too many cars for sale along the way..I get strung out like a junkie..would end up buying a Rambler or something like that..

Chris, if your wife hadn't married you, I'd ask her to marry ME!! Let me think about this. Still trying to figure costs and get some idea whether the transporter will do anything within the next month. I'd be happy to have you along for the ride.

Niel, my father was a cop, the spitting image of Joe Friday, and believe me, the Peena Boy used to work his nerves. Once, after one of his antics, my father said, "I don't have a gun big enough to shoot him with."

I appreciate all the offers of assistance. I'll keep you posted. Based on the limited research I've done, flights to Phoenix and Flagstaff look a little pricey.

Take the middle Tennessee route and I will offer my services.

I'm just off I-80 (middle route). Welcome to spend the night if that would work out.

I just had another thought. A friend of a friend is into collecting antique tractors. I guess there is a forum somewhere, and these guys are buying and selling tractors across the country.

He mentioned sometimes these guys are looking for something for the trip back (or deliver something on the way to pick one up). He said a guy he knows had a car delivered very reasonable this way.

I'll keep you posted. Based on the limited research I've done, flights to Phoenix and Flagstaff look a little pricey.
Buy a motersickle and drive it to Arizona, load it on the truck and drive back!

Heck, take the scenic route and come by this way (Upstate NY)! I'll help and I'm sure there are a few others within spittin' distance that would help also if ya need it.

Looks like you can get a one way fare from BWI to PHX for $235. Sounds cheaper than a motorcycle, gas, food and lodging for riding across the country.

http://www.kayak.com/

Looks like you can get a one way fare from BWI to PHX for $235. Sounds cheaper than a motorcycle, gas, food and lodging for riding across the country.

http://www.kayak.com/

Southwest BWI to PHX leave on Saturday October 8 one way $169.00

http://www.southwest.com/flight/select-flight.html?disc=0%3A16%3A1317246020.452000%3A12048%40AAF1F7DEA43EFC71F9FA485733D7F75B3438ADB1&ss=0∫=&companyName=&cid=

Look here, I am a professional vehicle transporter, for .70 cents a mile, I'll fly out to Phoenix and drive it to you in VA. It's about 2500 miles according to Bing Maps. Airfare from Syracuse is 164.00, I'll buy gas from the proceeds, you pay for hotels and 1 meal per day, and parts and repairs if needed. DC to Syr return flight is 136.

I can leave on Oct 5th. Should be there no later than 10/10.

check Hemmings for reputable transporters. forget the brokers. deal directly.

my 1.5 ton came from michigan. i intended to drive it home, but the brakes weren't good. i ended up using an insured pro hauler that i found in Hemmings, and he back-hauled it to nh for me. cost only $1000.00, but that was 4 years ago.

if the truck hasn't been driven much, i don't know that i'd want to drive it across country. it might be fine, but too many small things to go wrong.

wally

I've had vehicles transported in the back of a moving van as Don C suggested (from my past experience,most economical for a longer move).

Also used my truck and trailer,and lastly I've taken a bus,(taking along tools), to pick up a vehicle .As long as the vehicle is safe being driven on the road ,the last option while not for everyone definitely is the most fun.:)

I just had a 48 Plymouth Sedan delivered today from MN to Alvin, Tx. and only cost me 700.00 dollars from door to door. The companies name is Centrekin trucking Inc. contact Charles at 281-234-7752 or Kevin at 281-234-7015. Got the quote from Classic Car Transport,LLC call Jeremy at 913-749-0936 or cell # 816-267-3869 and he can help you. Move took place with no hitches. They require 200.00 down and the rest COD. They did a good job for me.

Larry

Edited by Labrauer