Wiring Signal Stat 900: Yes, another one

Joe Flanagan

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will be wiring my turn signal switch. It's the 7-wire model. I did a forum search and came up with several wiring diagrams. The colors of the wires on mine don't exactly match what is in the diagrams, but I think I have it figured out to the point where there are only two wires that are a mystery (white and orange) and they will go, I think, to the stop light switch and the flasher. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I'll be getting into this tomorrow and may be back with some head scratching and whatnot.

My Signal Stat did not have a band with which to attach it to the steering column, so I fabricated one out of sheet metal. It turned out really nicely. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I have my flasher but not the dual filament bulbs. Tomorrow I will just install the wiring and see how far I get.

This might be of help...

Joe the directions for my signal stat 900 instruct you to clean off the columb where the band will be so it grounds. I made myself a ground wire from the clamp to a good ground. Do you have an older unit? My directions have neither white or orange wires. FYI a headlight socket works great for the flasher.

Ed, I don't know how old this unit is. I got it on E-bay and it looks new. So did you scrape paint off your steering column or did you use the ground wire?

I made a ground wire from the clamp to the steering column support. My unit doesn't have a ground wire.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my turn signal switch mostly wired up but I'm confused about what happens with the tail lights. As I understand it, the two wires coming out of the new dual contact sockets are for the flasher and the brake light. So how does the regular wire for the tail lights figure into it? Doesn't this mean three wires are going to each tail light? Or does the tail light lead splice into one of the other two? Dumb question, I know. I'll just own up to it ahead of time.

Today I finished wiring the turn signal switch and everything works as it should. After reading about some of the problems people have had with this job, I figured I wouldn't get off this lucky, but I've got directionals in all four corners plus hazards. I do not have the rear brakes installed yet and there is no fluid in the system so I haven't tried the brake lights yet. There is only one small glitch and that is my pilot light doesn't work. Instead of using the pilot light on the turn signal switch, I decided to use the green light on my speedometer. I connected that wire to the prong on the flasher that is marked "P." I assume this is correct, but am not positive. Anyway, the blinking green light on my speedo didn't blink. I attached the blue wire from the turn signal switch to the "P" terminal on the flasher to see if the pilot light on the turn switch would work and it did not. I tested the "P" terminal on the flasher with a volt meter. It's flashing with intermittent voltage as it should but the maximum reading I got was one volt. The flasher is a new one from NAPA but it is made in China, so I'm wondering if maybe I've got a bad one. Or maybe I've buggered the wiring up somehow.

I discovered 2 things when doing both my signal stats. I am using the light in the unit and I switched it to the proper 6v bulb per the directions. The light is very sensitive to a good ground. I also discovered that so far all the modern flashers I bought have sucked. I only wired my turn signals a couple years ago and I think I've gone through 5 between car and truck with at least 1 being defective right out of the box. Typical failure mode has been first the indicator fails and shortly after no signals at all.

Crap.

So the indicator light is sensitive to ground? I do have one extra wire that's not attached to anything so maybe that's a ground wire. I got the switch off e-bay and there were no directions with it. I had to research the wiring here and elsewhere on the internet. Only problem is no other post--anywhere--mentions an orange wire, which is what this extra one is.

Crap.

So the indicator light is sensitive to ground? I do have one extra wire that's not attached to anything so maybe that's a ground wire. I got the switch off e-bay and there were no directions with it. I had to research the wiring here and elsewhere on the internet. Only problem is no other post--anywhere--mentions an orange wire, which is what this extra one is.

On my switch, the orange wire went to the brake switch.