? Oil smoke!

JIPJOBXX

I'm actually having an extremely similar problem.

(1951 DeSoto Custom with the 251 Flat 6)

I took a video of the problem, hopefully you guys can shed some light on this problem for me.

It seems to smoke more when the car is in gear and not moving (e.g. going up to a traffic light), and that is how this video was made.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

- Grant

were you to do a compression test of the engine cylinders, I would bet that you would have readngs in the 70 to 80 range. An engine in new condition would have about 110 to 120 per cylinder. The rest of yours is passing the piston rings and pressurizing the crankcase. This is commonly attriuted to worn or broken piston rings, and taper worn cylinders. Many of these engines will actually have rigs broken so badly, that they may have also broken the top of the pistons as well.

Your engine can run for years like this, or you can chose to have it rebuilt, or at least, bore the cylinders and buy new pistons and rings sized to the new demensions.

the other critical indicator of the condition of the internals of your engine are oil usage, oil pressure, and manifold vacuum reading and interpretation.

Edited by greg g

My goodness what a sick DeSota!

That DeSoto kinda sounded like it had a stuck valve-intake and or exhaust and maybe some piston and ring damage. Compression check time.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

get a vacuum gauge and see what you find. Oil smoke and condesation fumes come from the crankcase not the intake exhaust area. Although a stuck/burnt valve will effect how it runs, it will nor cause the breathers to belch.

Again a vacuum gauge and compression gauge reading will answer a lot of your questions.