Headbanging 2011: cool Mopars!

Cpt.Fred

I just cool down from a great weekend in Finsterwalde, about 150km from Berlin.

There's a 1/8 mile race for pre59 american cars every first weekend of september and it's always one of the biggest events here in Germany.

2 days of hot sun, cold beer and roaring engines.

I raced the P10 for the first time with the new setup and was very happy to see

that i was 1second faster than last year, so i guess i can be quite satisfied with what we did to the engine.

i ran 13,2 seconds (yes, still that slow...) and that was enough to beat a P15 with a 218, dual exhaust and carbs,

and a 1950 NewYorker with a hopped up straight8 that ran 13,8 seconds versus the same P15.

He really hated his fluid drive afterwards:eek:

Afterwards i found my master when i had to race a 27 Ford roadster with an 8BA in it, driven by a woman called Therry.

Those things are just too light for my old grey wandering dune...

P10 vs P15 (very close)

P15 vs '50 NewYorker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXB0WQ8jueo

P10 vs 27 Ford (ouch..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0SG5pBQN3M

amazing how slow most of this is when you see it from the outside...

nonetheless it's thrilling and just great when you're i the driver seat

some great footage of the general atmosphere i found on youtube shot by someone i don't know:

evil 50 (?) chrysler big butt coupe with a brutal bigblock in it:

There were tons of great cars, and a surprisingly large number of Mopars among them!

I didn't take too many pics myself, but a friend filmed some races and i have taken some pics i borrowed from the web and post them here,

so thanks a lot to the people that took them, including Majo from the Hot50s board and Tankwart93 from HotRodFactory.

my rusty boat and it's honorable oponent after the first race:

8133922zza.jpg

a great P10 busy coupe in original 60s race trim, featuring a poly engine:

8133920nfj.jpg

8133921zzi.jpg

hemi powered blown slingshot (that unfortunately looked a lot better than it ran):

8133923stg.jpg

great spitfire block with homemade triple carb setup and headers in a swedish Ford roadster:

8133924ovb.jpg

another swedish roadster hopefully powered by Mopar technology:

8133925srj.jpg

amazing weekend, had to share! this is what it's all about for me...

Fred

Edited by Cpt.Fred

Super!

Fred, You've had really good time past weekend, eh?

Do not feel bad for the result against the hot rod ford - taken in account the difference in weight you fight surprisingly well what we could see by the video.

I recall I first learned of this Finsterwalde Iron Feast from you an year ago.

Some other year I would really like to come there just to watch the races.

However the journey would need to be done by my D24 - Do they even allow visitors in modern cars?

The event is really cool, insisting in pre 59 cars only - Well done!

Cheers,

Pekka

Do they even allow visitors in modern cars?

hey Pekka,

they seperate the meeting into an infield and an outside area (often referred to as "mordor" or "the projects" :D)

where everyone can park and camp in modern vehicles and/or vehicles that don't fulfill the rules made up by the hosting car club.

cars are marked in different race classes and with a banderole on the steering wheel if they're allowed on the infield.

drivers of infield cars don't have to pay the entrance fee and are allowed to compete in the race if the car is built in the US before 59.

motorcycles have to be pre 59, too, but here they also allow UK built vehicles.

if you decide to make the journey you could team up with my friend Sampo who is also from Finland,

i gave him a ride back to Berlin and he will go back to Helsinki on tuesday.

actually i hope to make it to some scandinavian meetings next year, the plymouth is ready for that now and i always enjoyed the partys in sweden,

denmark and norway. unfortunately i didn't make it to Finland yet, but who knows?:rolleyes:

Fred

you're right greg, roadsters have a far better weight/power balance, but that was totally ok with me.

fuel consumption is steady at about 15mpg, 55-65mph cruise speed.

i set the pump stroke of the middle carb to the middle hole and ran 10° advance for the 2 races.

afterwards i set everything back.

the carbs aren't finally adjusted yet, i admit that i drove all the time and didn't do any more work...

hehehe.