• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 yourpc48

yourpc48

Guru, have been a long time contributor

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

I just looked them up and there are at least 3 on ebay right now. The number of the tool is S-9470C if you want to buy one. Thanks to the forum I will be making my own to make my water pump swap a little easier. It will sit with my custom flathead valve spring compressor.

Attached File  visegrip.jpg   80.55KB   39 downloads

Today I love my P15! Maybe not tomorrow. But today I love my P15.

47 P15 Special Deluxe Coupe
99 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso
97 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd

#32 Rodney Bullock

Rodney Bullock

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:58 AM

I hear about the speal tool to remove the bolts is this needed or can I just use a socket? Can someone show what bolts need to be removed to take the pumpm off? Are there studs or bolts?

#33 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,733 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN
  • My Project Cars:40 Plymouth PT105 1/2ton, 46 Dodge WC 1/2 ton, 48 Plymouth club coupe

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

You can use just a wrench or socket. The tool just makes it easier. Look at the new pump when you get it and you'll see what bolts need to be removed. The quote from the shop manual above says studs but a 51 engine should have bolts.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." Captain Lance Murdock
Ed J

#34 desoto1939

desoto1939

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:56 AM

Rodney,

The special tool that I am refering to see the early post with the picture is used to remove the four bolts that hold the fanblade onto the pulley. You can not use a socket and racket to get the botls out because of the small amount of space between the fanblade and the radiator. You can use an openend wrench or a box wrench.

Rich Hartung
Desoto1939@aol.com

#35 greg g

greg g

• Members
  • 15,030 posts
  • Locationmanlius, ny

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

This is a spot where the gear wreches (ratcheting box wrenches) come in handy.

But I do not have enough clearence to back the bolts out even if I got them loosened

You have the right to freedom of choice. But, you are not free from the consequences of those choices.

#36 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,733 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN
  • My Project Cars:40 Plymouth PT105 1/2ton, 46 Dodge WC 1/2 ton, 48 Plymouth club coupe

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

Pulling the radiator on a p15 is relatively straight forward. Two hose clamps and I believe 6 bolts. Then you have more room to work on the pump. I got the bolts out of my fan but the fan itself wouldn't clear the hub of the pump so out came the radiator.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." Captain Lance Murdock
Ed J

#37 desoto1939

desoto1939

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

On my 39 desoto I would still have to pullthe fan blade off the waterpump to get enough clearence to pull the radiator out. If the fan blade was still on the WP I could not lift the unit out without damaging the inside fins of the rad.

I know we are talking about a Plymouth that is 2-3 years later than my 39 but I would think the process of taking the WP off the car still would be the same. I will check my motors repair to see what it states about the Ply.

This also has me stumped.

Rich Hartung

#38 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,733 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

Your 39 still has a butterfly hood. That probably explains the differences. The p15s with the more conventional aligator hood you can pull the radiator straight up and out with the waterpump fan etc still in place.
Edit 39 plymouths have butterfly hoods-does your desoto?

Ed J

#39 Rodney Bullock

Rodney Bullock

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

OK that makes sense. Rich and I have to contend with the butterfly hood. The tool has to do with removing the fan. The vise grips though me:confused:

#40 desoto1939

desoto1939

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yes the 39 Desoto has the butterfly style hood and my radiator is more into the radiator shell.

Rich Hartung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users