Peking to Paris 1939 Dodge Coupe

Andydodge

The 2nd issue of Street Rodder Premium magazine has an article on the 2010 Peking to Paris Rally with a feature on the 1939 Dodge Coupe from Yakima, Washington. Heres a pic from the article, its a neat car, suspension upgrades front & back, 1952 Chrysler 265 six with Edgy finned head, twin carbs etc.......perfect thing to go hunt some Subaru rally cars.........lol........overall a neat setup....owned & driven by Bill Shields and Co-pilot Danny Day its a real credit to them.........apologies if its been mentioned b4 but 1st I've seen it...........regards, andyd

post-1938-1358536293204_thumb.jpg

Hi There Big Boy!!!!..........really great looking car, am surprised that it doesn't seem to have received any mention on the Forum previously, when the rally was held, ie, last yr, 2010.........there was also a 1939 dodge Sedan in the rally as well.........as they mention there is a class that goes up to 1940, and while you can modify/update the cars mechanical specs they must be of a similar style so being that 39 using an independant front suspension they can update the original suspension with a combination of 70's chev, nascar etc parts but still have an independant front end.........andyd

My guess would be VW transporter mirriors. I posted a pic just about when the event ended with 2 or 3 pics. I believe there was also a 49 Plymouth that ran the same event.

For you fans of long distance ecents the folks who organize the P to P are putting on a NY to Vancouver, BC then Vancouver, BC to Ancorage, Al deal here next year. If you have a decent car and 15K for etry fee, you can participate. The fee covers all lodging and meals and other various expenses, gas and oil and AAA membership not included.

Hey Tim, is the 54 Up for a little shake down cruise???

http://endurorally.com/transam/index.html

http://endurorally.com/transam/recce.html

Greg, sorry I didn't see those pics you posted, the SRP magazine has a 1 page picture feature as well as referring to the owners & what was done to it so you get to see some of the ways it was updated for the rally, even tho they have cut the guards and modified some other parts of the car I really think this would have to be one of the best of this sort of updated, ok hotrodded cars around..........nice & purposeful......andyd

wow, great photos! thanks, greg.

i already wondered about the hweel wells your first pic, andy...

brutal choice of wheels!

but i guess you need those on a trip like that -

i know i won't creep through all these countries on my skinny

white wall bias ply skins with a 3" drop in the back :rolleyes:

only gets harder when you go for it without a roof.

these roadster guys are truly insane! great respect.

My guess would be VW transporter mirriors. I posted a pic just about when the event ended with 2 or 3 pics. I believe there was also a 49 Plymouth that ran the same event.

For you fans of long distance ecents the folks who organize the P to P are putting on a NY to Vancouver, BC then Vancouver, BC to Ancorage, Al deal here next year. If you have a decent car and 15K for etry fee, you can participate. The fee covers all lodging and meals and other various expenses, gas and oil and AAA membership not included.

Hey Tim, is the 54 Up for a little shake down cruise???

http://endurorally.com/transam/index.html

http://endurorally.com/transam/recce.html

Shaked down maybe..shake apart..nah...! I be honest with you even if somone paid my fees..I cannot in anyway see how I could get free for the event..everyday finds me with more to do and less time to do it in..so it seems anyway..

• 4 weeks later...

the dual aluminum intake does not mate with the exhaust manifold to form a heat riser oven. they blocked off the top with a plate and cut a hole between the four bolts in the bottom and used another plate this time with a exhaust flange.. genius !

the slides are below the text on this page:

http://billanddannysgreatadventure.com/Home.aspx

post-169-1358536348953_thumb.jpg

Did you notice that the dual pipes from the manifold went into a single muffler and then exi out a 2.5 inch pipe to the rear. I guess on a car set up for that purpose the less stuff hanging under the car the better.

Interesting that the front suspension looks to be a combination of the original lower arms and the fabricated upper arms along with new jackable spring mounts.

The gear vendors od spliced into the drive shaft is a nice feature also. Can any one tell what transmission they used?

Edited by greg g

• 6 years later...
On 16-8-2011 at 10:34 AM, Andydodge said:

The 2nd issue of Street Rodder Premium magazine has an article on the 2010 Peking to Paris Rally with a feature on the 1939 Dodge Coupe from Yakima, Washington. Heres a pic from the article, its a neat car, suspension upgrades front & back, 1952 Chrysler 265 six with Edgy finned head, twin carbs etc.......perfect thing to go hunt some Subaru rally cars.........lol........overall a neat setup....owned & driven by Bill Shields and Co-pilot Danny Day its a real credit to them.........apologies if its been mentioned b4 but 1st I've seen it...........regards, andyd

post-1938-1358536293204_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I start to prepare my 1933 Dodge 6 roadster for the 2019 Peking to Paris rally. Could you sent me the full article please? 

This 265 flathead six is the best option to put into my Dodge I suppose?

Regards Patrick 

Been looking for a a good  mechanic for some work under my car. :rolleyes:

DJ