Blue dot lens

Joe Flanagan

Probably depends on the state. However, the law is so old that most cops don't know about it. And most cops don't care,....that is if you're not driving like a goof.

However, understand that they are even less visible then stock on a older car unless you can find a LED/lens assembly with blue dots.

I drive a fenderless roadster (in Calif) and the "current" tags are not displayed. Never (knock on wood) had a problem. Maybe it's the gray hair! I took off the blue dots in order to get a brighter tail/brake light.

Edited by mrwrstory

I called Missouri Hiway Patrol about this one time and they said that the blue dots on taillights weren't legal unless the vehicle was regestered specially. I don't remember the classification. When I explained that my brake lights and tail lights were physically seperated and it was the brake lights that I was looking at for blue dots, he wasn't aware of any limitation. I haven't done it yet but I've got the lenses for "someday".

Joe,

This is from the Virginia Motor Vehicle Inspection manual:

"19VAC30-70-150. Rear lamps: tail lamp; license plate lamps and rear lamp combinations.

Inspect for and reject if:

5. Lens on rear lamps, or lens area in combination rear lamps (tail lamps) are not red or contain a dot of another color."

Jim Yergin

If you have the plastic lens then you can drillthe lens to have a blues dot but it is much harder if you have glass lens.

i HAVE SEEN BOTH BUT WHEN THE BLUE DOT IS USED THE TAILLIGHTS ARE NOT THAT BRIGHT AT NIGHT. SINCE MOST OF OUR OLD TAILLIGHT LENS ARE SO SMALL AND NOT VERY VISABLE I WOULD NOT CHANGE TO BLUE DOTS.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.

RICH HARTUNG

Lots of guys run blue dots on their cars here. I have been running them on my pickups here in Oklahoma for a number of years...never stopped, or questioned about them, (or anything else, for that matter), and I have been looked over very close in my 46 Ford in several routine roadblock stops. The laws didn't know, notice, or else didn't care, I suppose, if it's not legal here, and were just curious to see the truck at all, way I got it. We don't have vehicle inspections. Joel

post-2269-13585362672987_thumb.jpg

a good number of states ahve reintroduced blue dots as legal and many more are following suit. However..even these rules are being twisted by a good number of people. The laws each are different in most state but pretty much they follow the same guidelines that state what cars are applicable for use. I assure you a Chevy HHR is not in the lineup but seem to be a leading offender. The antique, historical and classic value plus a stated age of the car is usally the defining factors.

Some folks like them, other hate them..last time my car was out a got a number of folks yelling from behind, "love the lights"

On my '54 I have very translucent plastic lenses and blue dots that are installed at time of manufacture..they do not restrict any light..

If you have question about legality..just type in your state and and question the legality..

I have had blue dots on the 40 Dodge sedan since 1975, as it is a Oz built bastardised 40 Plymouth & used 40 Plymouth tailights a guy here in Oz offered them to me back then & haven't had a problem. When I bought the 41 Plymouth 4yrs ago I noticed a blue dot centre tailight for it on ebay in the US, bought & innstalled it & thought it was "rare" but have since seen them listed 3 or 4 times. Both lots of blue dots are glass dots installed in glass red lenses, "Lynx Eye" brand......legal?.........nope, not here in Oz but as there are othere things I could be stung for I haven't worried, and have never had a problem, most local police here wouldn't notice them anyway I'd think.........andyd

post-1938-13585362673722_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585362700032_thumb.jpg

Are all P15 lenses glass or were plastic aftermarket available?

I believe they were all glass including the aftermarket ones. I also believe that the factory did not offer nor sell blue dot lenses. LYNX-EYE made replacement lenses in both blue dot and non blue dot.

Tail1.jpg

Hey..I recognize them lenses...LynxEye for sure was one of the companies that were done in glass but on my 54 I believe another company, Glo-Brite??? made blue dots..but the 54 is in plastic so may be difference in company names..I think the big lead in to plastic was with the 49 models..they do not survive over the years near as well...I know glass were available through 52 in both blue dot and amber glass front lenses as I have these here at home also..I have seen them in glass for 53 but not beyond that year have I seen glass..

Joe your factory lens is plastic and they are more translucent than the older glass on the average..they are available is aftemarket and beside..they are totally illegal in Virginia...I do believe there is pending legislation to pass these as legit..but not a done deal to my understanding..

I had the glass Lynx Eye blue dots on the convert for probably 20 years here in MO.....never stopped

or any problems. Also had the blue dot stop light.

But.....one day a friend said he was behind me on the road a few nights

previously and had trouble seeing my tail lights. So, I switched all back

to original lenses.....they do show up better. Keeping the blue dots for

keepsakes, just 'cause I like them.

I once made plastic 1951 Ford lenses into blue dots, using some loose

dots I had. That was pretty easy, but adding them to glass would be

rather tricky.

101_8305.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15