Pilot house rear axle conversion

50DodgeRod

Anyone tried to put a Cherokee rear axle in a pilot house? I have access to entire vehicle and was thinking that this might work. I believe the axle has 307 gears.

thanks

only partial help here, as i have a Cherokee with straight 6, and 5 speed, and mine are 3.07 gears, the auto trans versions have 3.55s and the 4 cylinder jeeps i think are 4.10

I did my own lift on the Cherokee and they are usually either 8 1/4 rear or a Dana 35.

rick.

If you use the search function, you can find many references to rear axle

I switched to a Grand Cherokee, which has 3.73 gears and disk brakes.

My Pickup is a 49 and apparently the 50 thru 54 has a different u-joint which allows for a conversion U-joint. I had to get my drive shaft modified.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Search "Perches" and find my thread which chronacles putting a 97 CHerokee rear axle in my 52 truck. Had to change the perchs otherwise a bolt in. I have a 3 speed tranny. RESULTS: FANTASTIC and easy 65 mph and 14 GPM.

• 10 months later...

would appreciate any info & advice on a better rear ratio for my 49 deluxe coupe. would just like to get a little better cruising speed without overloading engine.

ou may get more repsondences by posting on the Car side forum.

Really need to know what rear gear ratio you have now to get a good answer.

Best,

Doug

In my 55 Fargo, have a rear end from a 1989 Diplomat, slightly wider than stock, very simple swap, as others have mentioned, perches need to be moved to accomodate spring width. I have a 251 6, 4dp trans, and 3.23 gears, very nice, in all conditons expcept against a major cross wind at times, just on take off, hills may cause some issues, but once your rolling no issues. P 235 75 15 tires, 60 mph @ 2350 rpms or so