locked tranny

rivera11

rivera11,

Welcome to the forum! Lots of folks here from many walks of life and what we have in common is our stubborn tolerance of old WPC iron (we like that iron, too, most of the time).

I'm not familiar with your tranny but if it were manual I'd bet more that you have two shift levers and the one that controls first and reverse has come loose. They don't always fall to the ground when they come loose because there's a lot of busy-ness going on in that area of the car, so if you look under the car and don't see it then crawl under the car to where you can see the linkage and have someone inside the car move the shift lever all around and you'll soon see if it's working properly. "Properly", in this case, means is one of the little ears hanging down on the side of the tranny not moving?

You don't need a shop manual to do this but you will need one to do a lot of other things to the car so you may as well break down (don't use that word!) and get one soon. They're available lots of places for about $25-30. Different from a lot of shop manuals, the ones Chrysler wrote were aimed at the returning WWII GI who had learned to turn a wrench but didn't have much more money for tools that he had education, and they can actually be entertaining to read. The cars were built a lot the same way.

-Randy

my 46 dodge with fluid drive seems to be locked out of 1st. and reverse...it just happened don`t know why but i can`t shift into those gears. HELP PLEASE

Have you looked at the shift linkage for something obvious? Help is available but you need to give us more information.

sorry i was out of town due to family sickness...when i got back i tried to put car into gear..it was running, 1st. and reverse would grind and would not go into gear...would not go into 2nd nor 3rd with engine running..i shut engine off and put tranny into 2nd. gear and started engine. with clutch in, good thing i had the hand brake on cause even with the clutch in it wanted to go.. i do have the shop manual but it doesn`t show a trouble shooting page....is my clutch not going in???or is the pivot for the fork not in place??? thanks for any hints that you can give me...

• 2 weeks later...

one release eye bolt on pressure plate is broken..don`t know where piece went. i plan to replace pressureplate since the release levers have some wear

levers on tranny: it`s out of car,"gear shift operating lever" (upper one) moves foreward and back ok---"gear shift selector lever" (lower one) moves back but not foreaward of center. it just moves free..no feeling of resistance or engagement..

i will be replacing the throw-out bearing and clutch if it needs it..i haven`t seen it yet.

any suggestions will be appreciated as i`m not much of a mechanic..just working off advice and shop manual..thanks

one release eye bolt on pressure plate is broken..don`t know where piece went. i plan to replace pressureplate since the release levers have some wear

levers on tranny: it`s out of car,"gear shift operating lever" (upper one) moves foreward and back ok---"gear shift selector lever" (lower one) moves back but not foreaward of center. it just moves free..no feeling of resistance or engagement..

i will be replacing the throw-out bearing and clutch if it needs it..i haven`t seen it yet.

any suggestions will be appreciated as i`m not much of a mechanic..just working off advice and shop manual..thanks

the way you are describing it sounds like my fluid drive transmission M6. One lever has three locations and the second lever is just spring pulled with no resistance if the spring is not in place..or am i understanding you wrong? pics??

If your trans is like mine, the levers don't function the "normal" way. That is one lever is not 1st and reverse, and the other is not 2nd and 3rd. I took the side cover off mine and figured out that only 1 lever moves full travel with a "stop" in the middle. The lever on the top (of mine anyway) only moves a little bit, but it moves a tang inside the trans so that the other lever can operate either set of gears. Pull on the top lever, move the other lever and you shift 1st and reverse. Don't pull on the top lever, move the other lever and you shift 2nd and 3rd.

Granted, this is for a 55 C-3-B8 pick up, but yours may work the same.