Overdrive indicator lights

Jim Yergin

On my overdrive, I am using a Shift-Rite gearshift knob switch with a locking 6 volt VW headlight relay to operate my overdrive. Because the Shift-Rite switch is a momentary switch I had no visible way to tell whether the relay was on or off. I therefore installed a light that is wired to the power terminal on the overdrive solenoid. It lights up when the relay is in the “on” position and the solenoid is energized.

Since I no longer use the original relay or the ignition interrupter function of the kick-down switch to operate the overdrive, I decided to use the original relay to control a second indicator light. The ground terminal of the relay is wired to the ignition grounding terminal of the overdrive solenoid. When the solenoid plunger engages and places the car in overdrive, the relay is grounded and the second light comes on.

None of this is necessary but I enjoy the light show. I am just posting this information in case it may be of some use to others.

Jim Yergin

Shift-Rite.jpg

ODlights.jpg

Ed,

Good idea too, and maybe if I mounted all three of them on one of those deodorant Christmas trees ,,, or maybe not but I couldn't pass up the thought.

Jim, would you consider this thread stolen yet or shall we keep it up?

I really do think the lights are a good idea, especially after seeing how Chris (Bamford) had his dash labeled, etc., and even if I wire the OD in the traditional manner they would be useful to a bone-head like me. I'll admit to burning a parking brake lining once or twice in my short life so there's no telling what I could do with an OD. Thanks again for posting this thread, Jim, you can have it back now because we've about exhausted our sophomoric humor for the night.

-Randy

• 6 years later...

If the search does work out, post again as I wrote down that 6V. # from Jim's post.

along with the 12V I used I version used from later VW's in my notes for my R-10 overdrive setup. I will have to get them out to locate,  if needed.

I also applaud Jim for his response! :)

DJ

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:53 PM, greg g said:

Do you hear from Rodney B or Joe F these days?

Greg,

Not in quite some time. Joe retired and moved to, I believe, Florida. He sold his Plymouth before moving.

I haven't been to the Sully show in a couple of years and that is where I usually saw Rodney.

Jim Yergin