New guy from so-cal with a 48 Ply SD/CC

Socal48

What a nice looking car. I am amazed at how many good looking cars are still on the road after 60 years. Of course I'm amazed that I'm still running after 60 years. I wonder if some of the cars built today will still be around in 60 years.

No...but I did buy it from an elderly gent in Irvine, Howard Lee Spilberg he owned it for the past 40yrs...what all are you doing to your flatty...Im still deciding on whether to hop up the flatty or go V8

JP

I'm in the midst of a major modification of my P-15. I drove the car for many years with the flat head. It is, and can be, a really pretty engine. It's a great looking car too. However, the flat 6 will never be fast,.....or even "sporty" to drive.

If you are of a mind to "modify", there are a myriad of things, simple to complex, to do. (Please don't put a Chevy in it.) Also, if this is a first time project, I strongly suggest that you start with some small items that will not disable the car for any length of time. Jumping in and disassembling the car or a major sub-assemby has the potential of turning into a multi-generational project. It's a shame when your kids are trying to figure what to do with that particially finished "dream" of Dad's.

Check my thread "I'm back" on this forum. I've obviously got a big project going. If you would like to know more or see it in the flesh, I love having visitors

JP,Welcome to the forum.Very nice car.I guess you know a fair amount of the history of the car,with the previous owner having it for 40 years.That's always nice.Hope to see more photos when you get the chance..Ralph

Hello,

I recently picked up a 48 SD Club Coupe in real good shape and wanted to share some pics...I am from California in the North San Diego County and hope to learn a lot from here in getting my 48 to a daily driver condition.

Thanks

JP

JP,

I have a 47 in Battalion Beige as well! Nice looking car and WELCOME! I'm up in the Bay Area so if you are out on a NorCal drive let me know.

Kirk

{Hey JP, Is that Al Butlers car? Looks a lot like his and I know he lives in SD Co. }

Heck Bill, I know the pics were small, but, anyway he wouldn't need a trailer(only @45miles) even if he was going xcountry. Plus he wouldn't have to worry about what to do with the engine, unless he wanted modern power. My car represents my era, (poor man's, lets do something with it,) kinda car. Not a Trailer Q, show car, or racer, but has never let me down, even when going past the 50 mile syndrome.

Was good to see you at gg. Keep up your good work.

AL

• 3 weeks later...

JP, nice looking Plymouth, I'd go with hopping up the old six, update the suspension via shocks, disc brakes, etc but don't subframe or Chev power it, it looks too nice.......I'm building this 230 cube six for the 41 Plymouth I have, the Edgy head came from Earl Edgerton & he's in Cali.........anyway welcome to the best Mopar 6 forum on the net............regards from Australia..Andy Douglas

post-1938-13585362641704_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585362644_thumb.jpg

Hi JP, I'll be in Encinitas, September 15 - 19th, at the annual WaveCrest Woodie Meet Up, driving PLYWOOD. Come on up and we'll have a beer.

Charlie Olson, an old iron fan with impeccable table manners

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the invite, I probably wont have the 48 ready by then, but I may just head over to check out the cars....sweet woody btw.

JP, nice looking Plymouth, I'd go with hopping up the old six, update the suspension via shocks, disc brakes, etc but don't subframe or Chev power it, it looks too nice.......I'm building this 230 cube six for the 41 Plymouth I have, the Edgy head came from Earl Edgerton & he's in Cali.........anyway welcome to the best Mopar 6 forum on the net............regards from Australia..Andy Douglas

NIce car...but i'm kinda thinking turbo'd small block..we'll see.

Although I enjoy many old cars that are hot rodded, V8 engines etc,. But when you have a car like this, in preemo shape, last owner had it for 40 years, my vote is a Mopar flat head 6, hopped up, if you want to add some juice to the stock engine, OD trans, plenty enough umph for the freeway.

Other mods that help in the handling and saftey, are front disc brake conversions, front shock relocation mounts, dual resvoir MC if you want.

This car is a Coupe, and a time machine that deserves to move forward in time, close to stock, or stock if possible.

Just my opinion, I see lots of cars, that were rodded, and that is great, if the car was rough, or no engine and drivetrain, but a car like this deserves better.

But it is your car, your money, I hope you enjoy it, whichever way you take it.

Welcome tho the forum BTW