air conditioner

• 4 years later...

I recently improved the air conditioning in my old Plymouth by simply moving to the beach. So far that has kept the temperature at or below a reasonable 72°F at mid-afternoon. Unfortunately it sounds like it will get up into the mid-80s for record highs early next week.

Please don't be such a pansy driving a old Pilot House and needing AC Paul!!

• Like 2

Does it get to 112 degree F. in Woodieville?

Just askin ??  ;)

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

103 degree's....no need for AC

Does it get to 112 degree F. in Woodieville?

Just askin ??  ;)

DJ

Lol, that is kinda the way I thought when someone from southern CA was looking for a wiper motor a few years ago :D

• Like 1

Lol, that is kinda the way I thought when someone from southern CA was looking for a wiper motor a few years ago :D

:P Yes....not much in the way of rain. But I sure needed the wipers a couple of weeks ago. I was headed down to Dana Point for a day out on the water......and it sure was foggy on the way down. The fine mist that collects is harder to see through than rain. Sure glad I rebuilt my wipers this spring.

Jeff

• Like 1

I used  huricane system  and run the AC compressor off of a dual  alt pulley.  6 or 7 years later it still runs great.

you can hear the compressor over running at 60+ and you will need  electric fans.

also I have a 6volt system still...  but I don't think they build my system anymore.  I contacted them directly and they built one with a 6v blower.  I run the compressor controls off of a step up transformer.

I used  huricane system  and run the AC compressor off of a dual  alt pulley.  6 or 7 years later it still runs great.

you can hear the compressor over running at 60+ and you will need  electric fans.

also I have a 6volt system still...  but I don't think they build my system anymore.  I contacted them directly and they built one with a 6v blower.  I run the compressor controls off of a step up transformer.

Is this on a flathead engine?

there is a thread called flathead A/C that has pics and sketches of my system.....  http://p15-d24.com/topic/29644-flathead-ac/page-2 

yep its on a stock flat head engine.  don had several pics of other installs that I copied.

Edited by p24-1953

from the old posting....

I mispoke earlier. I used the stock crank pully, so i am runing crank, fan, a/c.

I dont think it is a oil issue, because it did it from the very start, on a brand new prefilled compressor, but really it is not an issue because most of the time I have the overdrive engaged.

I started by purchasing a complete underdash kit from Hot Rod Air. The Interior Unit is mounted under the dash on the passanger side. The lines are ran to the dryer which is located under the passanger hood hinge. the supply and return line are ran tight along the top of the fire wall and driverside fender well to the compressor and condensor. The lines were bought un-crimped so i could run them a little long.

Now, heres where it gets a little weird. I am running this A/C on a six volt positive ground system. I had the Blower fan replaced with a six volt unit, and i run the compressor off of a buck boost convertor. this unit will take a 6 volt charge and up it to a 12 volt charge. Since the conversion causes you to lose half your amps i upgraded to a 105 amp 6vlt alternator. the convertor is wired directly so that i did not have the large current running through the dash harness. The fan and saftey switches are wire with everything else so that when the keys off it shuts off.

The originaly buck boost convertor that i used was a home built unit that originally supplied power for a cb radio in a old bug, but it hummed loudly. there is a austrialian company that makes these new that are solid state and so far extremely reliable. it is mounted under the dash. They are extremly easy to wire.

All in all did i do it the best way? or would i do it again? It was simple to wire and charging system was in good shape , since i had rewired the car and i didnt want to have to change out all the wiper, heater, blower, overdrive relays ect.... and i didnt want to lose the tube radio. Yes it was the long way around to get something done but honestly isnt that half the fun, But if i had a car with a stock wiring harness and various other bits that need to be replaced i would thing that a 12 volt system would be better.

One last note. On the quality of the Hot Rod Air system vs, Vintage Air. Vintage is 1000 time better quality. Several Hot rod air Parts have failed or broken. I had 2 hose end split when i recived the kit. There were no instructions, the dryer bracket was oversized so i had to wrap the dryer with a rubber sheet to get it to hold. The fit and finish of the Vintage air kit is higher. But the money i saved covered the cost of the additional relays, electric fans and 12v convertors.

Edited by p24-1953

Just a FYI. Hot Rod Air is long gone.  Maybe due to problems like yours?

DJ