47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

Didn't snag a picture but I got all the front edges of the boards undercut for the bedfront. When you have thinner than stock cross members and thicker than stock bed floor your bed front won't fit......

I do not know what a turkey build truck is ... I had a 77 toyota, they knocked the Wind shield out of it and was a bunch of drunks hunting birds .... shooting through the windshield.

Again, not saying it is wrong.

Just that in 30 years, has not changed much.

I stuck a wind shield in that truck and drove it for 5 years,

Just saying, not a big turkey shooting fan.

Just now, Los_Control said:

I do not know what a turkey build truck is ... I had a 77 toyota, they knocked the Wind shield out of it and was a bunch of drunks hunting birds .... shooting through the windshield.

Again, not saying it is wrong.

Just that in 30 years, has not changed much.

I stuck a wind shield in that truck and drove it for 5 years,

Just saying, not a big turkey shooting fan.

My 7yo son named the truck. He kept saying this turkey starts funny. So its a truck named turkey. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

not thinner this...not thinner that......we talking customized.....

oh ya I also upgraded to all stainless hardware! certainly having a little fun with this one

8 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

Hopefully I can see it in person this weekend....maybe even turn a bolt so I can say I worked on it ..lol.

48D

heck no we are doing body work on TODD!  :P

16 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

You can't monopolize all of his time... ? Remember, he needs to take his California grass to Ed's house for Brent... ?

his Kalifornia grass would take one look at the future cast and just say no

On 9/11/2019 at 1:51 PM, 48Dodger said:

Hopefully I can see it in person this weekend....maybe even turn a bolt so I can say I worked on it ..lol.

48D

Tim did get to see it although I can't say we actually worked on it...

Also found 2 great looking hubcaps for the project while at the junkyard with 48dodger and GGdad1951. Dug them out of 2 pallet sized boxes of random caps. I think even if I can't find 2 more I'll run them on one side of it!

IMG_20190915_134905.jpg

Liked them so much I even dug out a wheel to see how they looked "installed"

IMG_20190915_122558.jpg

• Like 1

Got the second bed angle welded on. No pic it looks the same as the other side :)

So now I should be able to start assembling the bed. Is the conventional wisdom to assemble, drill holes, and then paint so the holes are coated? Or just paint assemble and not worry about paint in the bolt holes? 

We know that the wood was painted black from the factory , but paint will peel , as will some of the gloss varnishes . I used linseed oil on both sides before installation , most of which just ran off . After a couple of years i gave it another coat of linseed oil that penetrated better . My holes were pre-drilled from Bruce Horkey . My wood is a hardwood , perhaps hickory . 

• Like 1

If I remember right you have white oak Ed?  won't really rot (your kids will be old before it goes bad) so I'd not worry too much on getting paint in the holes you drill.  Half the time dropping the bolts thru you knock it off anyway.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

If I remember right you have white oak Ed?  won't really rot (your kids will be old before it goes bad) so I'd not worry too much on getting paint in the holes you drill.  Half the time dropping the bolts thru you knock it off anyway.

ash for this one. and its going to sit outside so the wood will be seeing some weather!

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

ash for this one. and its going to sit outside so the wood will be seeing some weather!

you need a bigger shed!  :P  I'd then protect as much as possible.

18 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

After a couple of years i gave it another coat of linseed oil that penetrated better

I know this is not concourse restore, as a old carpenter, I sure love oil. Is so easy to work with.

You will get dinged for points if you put it in the show.

Oil is just so easy to work with, just hose off the old dirt and brush on a new coat. The oil actually soaks into the wood and protects it from weather.

And then add more oil as needed.

Seriously, wash your truck and then add some fresh oil and take it to the car show. Looks like a brand new bed wood again.  ooops, got some on the shovel strips, go ahead, metal likes oil also.

Just let it dry, you wont be getting oil on everything you haul.

While paint, although it is correct for the truck. It is a covering over the wood. The weather gets to it and it eventually fails and needs replaced ... You have to scrape and wire brush loose paint, you get it on the shovel strips and will look like crap.

I simply would refuse to paint the wood on my truck, but that is just my opinion.

The only thing I do not agree with Jerry on, I would not use linseed oil on the truck. I would use it on my wooden handles for my tools, shovels etc...

I would get a better quality oil for my truck so it would last longer. And Jerry could do that, just go right over the top of the last coat if he chooses to do so.

While paint does look nice when done, it is just so needy for future maintenance.

Since I cant get the sikkens with cetol D here, $60 a gallon.  I am now trying the penofin on a few projects as others from this forum suggested. $30 a gallon.

4 hours ago, Todd B said:

White ash or black ash. Big difference with rotting. I do agree with Mark white oak will last a lifetime. 

any obvious ways to tell on wood that's already milled?

When putting a outdoor long lasting, non peeling paint or oil based finish the first two coats should be thinned down to a very thin watery viscosity.

This so it will soak deep into the wood.

Cut and drill all boards then coat. After two thinned /dried coats a final one or two full viscosity top coats.

No peeling.

JMO. My woodie has had the same spar varnish on it for 40 years and still looks as good as the day I applied it in 78.

• Thanks 1