47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

just a quick update-went to the junkyard and managed to salvage the springs and spacers for the gas tank. Now I can get that installed. Any suggestions on what to clean the tank out with? Looks clean on the inside but it's been laying around so I'd like to rinse out the dust etc..

I might consider using some Stabil 360 in it.  Supposed to help reduce corrosion and whatever amount of it that doesn't come back out will mix easily with fresh gas.

• 3 months later...

Wow its been a while since I made any updates here! Yesterday I managed to get some time in. Started welding up the lower angle for the bed front. Got the bigger side all patched in and mostly welded. I only took a before pic so far but you can see most of the bottom was gone!

IMG_20190112_133816.jpg

• Like 2

Good to see that you are back at it. Not a lot a “W” series activity here so I have been hoping to see some updates.

Gotta love those MN winters. I grew up south of you in Austin and spent my high school days patching up rust on my buddies cars.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Also picked up a champion 49-52 Plymouth radiator off eBay for cheap. Missing the cap but I was likely to replace that anyways. 

No problem with the missing radiator cap, they come with a 16 Lb. cap. A little to much for the old motors. The radiator is built for it but a flathead, I don't think so.

DJ

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

No problem with the missing radiator cap, they come with a 16 Lb. cap. A little to much for the old motors. The radiator is built for it but a flathead, I don't think so.

DJ

ya honestly all I would have used the included one for was to match up to a 4lb replacement. 

• 2 months later...

Still haven't gotten the new bed angles but I got started on the flooring

IMG_20190616_153637.jpg

Edited by Young Ed
fix photo
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

still using photobucket?

yup and apparently it doesn't work too well from my phone. Just got the photo fixed. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 9:07 PM, Young Ed said:

To get this back together for the front I'll need new pins and new shackles. The one might be ok but the one shown here is clearly loose until you get right to the last thread. The new one in the picture is a Jeep part that has the same threads but it slightly shorter. Other than the obvious that this will slightly lower the truck is there a reason not to use one of these Jeep ones? They are about 1/4 of the price of the dodge ones.  

IMAG2290.jpg

IMAG2288.jpg

Im new here so just gone right through this thread, really enjoyable, thanks.

Any idea what model of Jeep the shackles come from?  Im in the UK so they may be easier for me buy them here depending what model they come from.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 42halfton said:

Im new here so just gone right through this thread, really enjoyable, thanks.

Any idea what model of Jeep the shackles come from?  Im in the UK so they may be easier for me buy them here depending what model they come from.

I ordered them from Rockauto I believe and just looked up early 50s jeep. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:16 PM, Young Ed said:

Still haven't gotten the new bed angles but I got started on the flooring

IMG_20190616_153637.jpg

Looks awesome! 

• 1 month later...

Annoying setback yesterday. Mocking up the bed floor I put one bolt in each end of the 5 strips to check for width. I came out a little over so gotta take it back apart. 4 of the 10 carriage bolts wouldn't come apart. Somehow the threads were defective. One bolt and I ended up using a nut splitter on 3 others. The worst is I dinged up the square holes in the strips fighting with these bolts!

If those were stainless steel bolts, you can expect that.  Relatively a common occurrence with stainless, a nut will spin on easily but start to bind on removal occasionally.   Anti seize compound is almost  a must.  Do your mockup work with common steel bolts, then replace with the stainless on final assembly.

• 1 month later...

Part of the delay in this bed is I've been having too much fun with my new "project". However this one doesn't need much. Picked this up end of May and haven't done much other than drive it. I had to replace the battery cables and I swapped to some plymouth division hubcaps. 318 with push button auto and power steering

20180421_143537.jpg

IMG_20190601_174220.jpg

20190214_161512.jpg

• Like 4

Nice family truckster!  64 or 65??  Reminds me of my dad's 65 Coronet 500.  That was a 318 three speed.  Was a nice car.  It was a drivered car the only standard in the 4 cars that were supplied to the school.  Had 800 miles on it when he got it used.

Just now, greg g said:

Nice family truckster!  64 or 65??  Reminds me of my dad's 65 Coronet 500.  That was a 318 three speed.  Was a nice car.  It was a drivered car the only standard in the 4 cars that were supplied to the school.  Had 800 miles on it when he got it used.

64 Belvedere