47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

Other news getting a few more things going. Swapped the carb out on saturday and got it to start! However no exhaust and no radiator meant it couldn't run for long. The radiator appeared quite clogged so today its off to get cleaned out. Ordered a lower radiator hose too. Skipped the upper for now as I'm still hunting for a non external bypass thermostat housing of some sort. I did buy one for a 318 which fits on the engine side but uses a 1.5 upper hose rather than a 1.75. Also hunting for a radiator cap. The box of new ones I bought are all too small!

• Like 1

• ggdad1951 changed the title to 47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

Just bought one from Champion Radiator for my Studebaker truck for 209.00.  Local place wanted 300 for anew core and then 170 to 200 for the labor.  They listed through 52, mine is a 56.  We talked demensiions and it was close, just had to cut 2 mounting tabs and mount it about 1 inch offset.  Check out the measurements listed for Desoto. Its listed for 185 for two row.  My Studebaker v8 runs at 170 with a 2.5 psi cap.

https://shop.championcooling.com/Performance-Radiators/DeSoto/Desoto-Coupe

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Bad news radiator is full of holes! 150-200 bucks to fix it. I've got them holding off on fixing it for now while I investigate alternatives. 

Did you see the aluminum radiator on ebay ? item number 162555758432 at $342 . Located in Michigan . Perhaps you can sell some of your other old  parts to help pay for it . 

3 hours ago, wallytoo said:

i'd jump at $200.  damn.  i just got a quote to recore the cj radiator - $500 or more.

that's not a recore that's just to solder the holes. Also check champion. They have a jeep radiator for both of us for 185

Edited by Young Ed

Got a second OEM radiator being checked out. Should find out Mon-Tues is that one is any good. Tried to post a couple updated photos but the bucket seems to be having issues!  Edit: Got them posted!

IMG_20170716_183352.jpg

IMG_20170716_183326.jpg

Edited by Young Ed
  • Like 1

Promised myself on this project I'd do the firewall pad before putting a bunch of wires and control cables through the firewall that would be in the way. So started on the firewall pad. 

Starting on the drivers 1/3. This was originally all 1 piece but I'm making it in 1/3s.

IMG_20170718_201613.jpg

Finished except for insulation and mounting holes. Old on the left new one the right.

IMG_20170718_204312.jpg

and a trial fit

IMG_20170718_204618.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last think I did for the night was test bending the material on a piece of scrap from the first side. Looks like it will work out well. 

IMG_20170718_204947.jpg

11 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Last think I did for the night was test bending the material on a piece of scrap from the first side. Looks like it will work out well. 

IMG_20170718_204947.jpg

I have a little experience in bending plastic...might even have some tools for it laying around.

Couple goodies in the mail today. Brake line part # found by our favorite curmudgeon Norm that can be used as a oil flex line for the gauge. Temp sender for my later dodge gauges. 

My second stock radiator out of the shop just as leaky as the first one.

IMG_20170720_201907.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, M.Klapp said:

Hey Ed,

Whats your wheel and tire spec?  Digging those red lines.

M.Klapp

I sold off those redlines. They didn't fit my look. The wheels are 15x6.5. Not sure what size radials I need to look for those wide rims. 

On 8/16/2017 at 3:13 PM, Young Ed said:

I sold off those redlines. They didn't fit my look. The wheels are 15x6.5. Not sure what size radials I need to look for those wide rims. 

Yeah, been trying to figure out what wheels I want to run.  I'd like something fat out back and narrower up front.

M.Klapp

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2017 at 9:05 PM, Young Ed said:

Leo has informed me he wants the truck to be done by the time he's my age. Whew no pressure that gives me 32 years to finish it! He also named it turkey truck. Didn't have a name yet so I guess turkey it is!

Today he wanted to work on it again but he's given me an upgraded timeline. Now it's by the time he's driving age. He just chopped 22 years off the deadline!

Edited by Young Ed
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...

Getting a few more pieces done. Got a bunch of stuff painted. Close to installing the gas tank as soon as I make up the rear bolt, collar, and spring combination. 

IMG_20180818_162151.jpg

Got a muffler and made a temporary hanger for it out of some stuff I had laying around. 

IMG_20180905_202113.jpg

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that should be a relatively easy fix....even if both your buckets have areas such as this, there should be enough metal in the third bucket to cut repair slabs....this is whee the FUN comes in....

of course they both do!   even a couple pin holes further around towards the top

the pin holes can be a problem if they are spread out over a large area that has thinned with rust over the ages...requires large sections there also...you may run out of donor material...now is the time to buy that English Wheel you always wanted.......it's justified...!  There are no animals of this nature in my area or I would do some junkyard purchases for you.

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the pin holes can be a problem if they are spread out over a large area that has thinned with rust over the ages...requires large sections there also...you may run out of donor material...now is the time to buy that English Wheel you always wanted.......it's justified...!  There are no animals of this nature in my area or I would do some junkyard purchases for you.

I know where you could likely get some in really good shape, but you'd have to go the Q at Tim's!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Getting a few more pieces done. Got a bunch of stuff painted. Close to installing the gas tank as soon as I make up the rear bolt, collar, and spring combination. 

IMG_20180818_162151.jpg

Got a muffler and made a temporary hanger for it out of some stuff I had laying around. 

just gotta sand blast some parts and you'll have some more practice parts!  :)