47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

You are making me want to get started on my Plymouth Truck!  But I promised to do my 1937 Dodge First!  LOL

If I only remembered to ask Tim about the radiator cap on top of his fridge in his garage....  I often wonder if that may have originally came from my truck. It was a farm truck from Lodi.  

After many issues we got it ready to install. Who knew you had to pull the pulley off to install the front mount????!!!!

IMG_20170409_154128.jpg

My helper

IMG_20170409_161203.jpg

IMG_20170409_161531.jpg

Almost in. The upper left bolt on the rear mount has a captive nut. So far I can't get it lined up. The other 3 rear bolts are in along with the fronts. 

IMG_20170409_172405.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Making good progress. Fix the flat front tire, throw in a milk crate, and time to go cruising...............at least around the block.:eek:

That tire rapidly went from a slow leaker to an instant leaker. We had to fill it twice just to push the truck back in the garage! Going to need to get a better roller tire for that corner. 

they can change instantly.....I rolled the Austin off the lift and into the yard...mind you a tire that though checked and weathered did well in and about the shop...this time out I surmise the morning sun caught this tire I guess....whamo the tire blew out a 14 inch section.....have put off installing the new tires on the freshly prepared and painted rims till body paint is in place...

Now with drivers door. Had to completely swap the internals out from my parts stash. The originals were completely rusted solid by mice. 

IMG_20170422_2015551.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

Progress, progress!

Isn't it great to have a stash of spare parts. I keep parts I think I will never need and often they will sit forever but once in a while I will need a part and go looking and there it is.......just waiting to be cleaned up and put to good use. Just recently, I needed a part for the distributor in my '48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe and went to my collection of distributors and pulled a perfect part out of a rusty looking distributor I had already cannibalized once previously.

11 hours ago, Young Ed said:

door is back off the truck and ready

whenever!  Maybe I can swing down and see the truck this week or weekend!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leo has informed me he wants the truck to be done by the time he's my age. Whew no pressure that gives me 32 years to finish it! He also named it turkey truck. Didn't have a name yet so I guess turkey it is!

• Like 2

Next project I need to get done is the firewall pad. I promised myself I wouldn't get a bunch of stuff installed just to have to remove it all later to install the pad. Thinking of using something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YG4X7C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FWWCVO9POVQF to make the covering and kick panels. Any suggestions for what else to use to insulate?

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, Young Ed said:

Leo has informed me he wants the truck to be done by the time he's my age. Whew no pressure that gives me 32 years to finish it! He also named it turkey truck. Didn't have a name yet so I guess turkey it is!

you weren't listening Ed, Leo said    TURN-KEY    truck..you got your work cut out for you....

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

That's similar to the material that Quiet Rides uses for their panels. The firewall pad then has an insulating pad glued to the back side, and it is contoured for the firewall. As I recall the insualtion was a Jute type material, about 1/4" thick.

I have some extra Jute I think if you want to try it/need it/see it.

After some additional measuring I ordered a 24x48 sheet. Looks like that will do it except the firewall pad will have to be in 2 or 3 sections. I don't think having a left center and right side pad will hurt anything. 

so we did some horse trading yesterday....Ed got his coveted tailgate off my wall (sad to see it go) and I got a door from my hometown.

20170517_164328.jpg

20170517_164406.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nice trade, but I see 2 problems...

1. Ed, you're building a Plymouth truck... That's a Dodge tailgate... ;)

2. Mark, that door won't fit on FEF... or TODD... or Puma... :P 

but it will fit on my wall...

46 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nice trade, but I see 2 problems...

1. Ed, you're building a Plymouth truck... That's a Dodge tailgate... ;)

2. Mark, that door won't fit on FEF... or TODD... or Puma... :P

Look back. I long ago veered off and starting building a 47 dodge instead. The 40 plymouth is a more in-depth project that is on hold....

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Look back. I long ago veered off and starting building a 47 dodge instead. The 40 plymouth is a more in-depth project that is on hold....

want the title changed?

• ggdad1951 changed the title to 47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build