How to use Bumper Jack

RobertKB

I know this sounds stupid but I have always used a screw jack under my Dodge D25 which has the same bumpers as a P15. I got hold of an original jack in a parts car I have and am wondering how it is used. Looking at the picture of the P15 jack below, the only way I can see it being used is have it under a bumperette with the lug wrench facing the side of the car. There is no way you can put it directly under the bumper as it barely catches it because of the curvature. The bumperettes do have little hooks that catch the bumper on the bottom. Any advice appreciated. I want to clean up the jack and put it in the car. However, I still think it would be easier to use a screw jack which also won't mark up the chrome. Thanks.

100_35571.jpg

simple answer don't!!!

If you gotta try it to kill the curiousity cat, Put the car on a level surface precerably concrete as tar based stuff thed to crush. Jack up the rear, because it's the light end. Select a corner and chock the oposit corner wheel. Assemble the jack withthe post i the foot and the ratchet deal on the post. Select the ratchet position that allows it to climb the post. the little lever under the fulcrum point controls the direction. Put the foot under the bumper, and slide the ratchet deal into position with the hook under the bumper near as possible to the bumper bolt connected to the inner bumper bracket. Use the lever end of the lug wrench to work the ratchet deal and lift the car.

If your interest is satisfied, select the other position on the control level and lever it down.

Now put it back in the bag or box and put it behind the spare tire and forget it's there.

simple answer don't!!!

If you gotta try it to kill the curiousity cat, Put the car on a level surface precerably concrete as tar based stuff thed to crush. Jack up the rear, because it's the light end. Select a corner and chock the oposit corner wheel. Assemble the jack withthe post i the foot and the ratchet deal on the post. Select the ratchet position that allows it to climb the post. the little lever under the fulcrum point controls the direction. Put the foot under the bumper, and slide the ratchet deal into position with the hook under the bumper near as possible to the bumper bolt connected to the inner bumper bracket. Use the lever end of the lug wrench to work the ratchet deal and lift the car.

If your interest is satisfied, select the other position on the control level and lever it down.

Now put it back in the bag or box and put it behind the spare tire and forget it's there.

I second that!:eek:

Hi Robert,Here's a couple of photos plus the instructions.My jack may be a little different from the one shown in your drawing.There's a slight curve to the part that contacts under the bumper and it seems to grab well.

post-423-13585362046666_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362042153_thumb.jpg

post-423-135853620438_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362044669_thumb.jpg

post-423-13585362045429_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I wasn't really planning on using it as I carry a different jack in the car. I was just curious how it worked as there seems to be so little to catch the bumper with. The jack in my '53 Plymouth works on the same principle but is curved nicely to fit the bumper. The '48 jack seems pretty worthless. Greg's advice is best. I will clean and paint it and put it behind the spare wheel just to be able to say I have an original jack........and then forget it.

Ralph, my jack is identical to yours so a bit different from the one I showed in the first post. Also, like yours, the base has the round hole in it rather than the rectangular one.

Bob, glad to know it works in a pinch.

Edited by RobertKB
Grammar

There was no bumper jack in my P-15 when I bought it. But I did find this pictured jack in the pictured P-15 a few years back. This jack has a "hook" that catches the bumper unlike the one you pictured.

shawnjack.jpg

Don, that looks a lot more like the one in my '53 Plymouth. This style of jack works fine to change a tire but I sure would never want to work under a car supported by it. I think a lot of dead people did that though.:P

My car came with a different type of bumper jack. It is not an original Mopar jack, but some aftermarket type. There is a decal on the base that looks like it might have said Allstate over a map of the country. Sold by Sears? It looks pretty substantial and works on screw thread. I don't intend to use it, but I carry it in the trunk as a period accessory. Someday I may even clean it up and paint it.

Dave

post-1278-13585362052473_thumb.jpg

post-1278-13585362052719_thumb.jpg

post-1278-13585362085002_thumb.jpg

post-1278-13585362085202_thumb.jpg

My car came with a different type of bumper jack. It is not an original Mopar jack, but some aftermarket type. There is a decal on the base that looks like it might have said Allstate over a map of the country. Sold by Sears? It looks pretty substantial and works on screw thread. I don't intend to use it, but I carry it in the trunk as a period accessory. Someday I may even clean it up and paint it.

Dave

I had on of those back in the '70s. Worked pretty good.

Tom

I don't recall ever having a bumper jack slip out, if you use the right jaw. Also, we used to force a tire off of the safety bead with a bumper jack and a piece of chain. We'd lay the chain under the tire, which we positioned under the bumper of the car. Then we'd hook the chain up in the frame, and set the jack on top of the tire, with the base right at the edge of the rim. Start jacking, and because the car can't go up, the jack forces the tire off of the safety bead. (we were tight wads....:o)

I've done that same thing minus the chain. When the car starts to lift the weight of the car will make the tire come off even without it. Probably just have to lift the jack a little higher. I did this in the junkyard with the 16" rims on my truck because I didn't want to have to dispose of the tires on the rims. Much easier to leave them behind.

I've done that same thing minus the chain. When the car starts to lift the weight of the car will make the tire come off even without it. Probably just have to lift the jack a little higher. I did this in the junkyard with the 16" rims on my truck because I didn't want to have to dispose of the tires on the rims. Much easier to leave them behind.

Used to use a bumper jack to pop the tires free of the rims too. But I don't have a car with a bumper jack anymore. Last time I did the tires on the '33 I used a bottle jack and just found a "unmovable" object located at the right height for the tire and jack to slip under. The bias ply tires only seem to get 12K to 15K miles, so I'll be doing this again pretty soon.