Looking for Engine Rebuild Advice

new_castle_j

Last year I bought a 1936 P2 Deluxe 4 door, I keep regular license plates on it and drive it all around. I rebuilt the brakes this spring and would like to do some engine work. I've read about a whole bunch of things other people have done to their flathead motors, but don't know which things would give me what I'm looking for. I would appreciate very much if I could get some advice on a few points.

Right now the motor has quite a rattle in it at a certain RPM and I am getting enough blowby to make it unpleasant to ride in unless the windows are down. I have 40 LB oil pressure when it first starts up, but that goes down to 5 lb or so after it warms up. What I want is to have the engine run strong and smooth and last a long time, 55 MPH on the top end is good enough for me.

So I was thinking I would just get an engine rebuild kit from Kanter for my 201 CID. Then I started reading different forums and saw how many other things were being done to these old motors. A lot of things I read were dealing with making flatheads go fast, but I just want it to be smooth and durable.

For anyone who’s gone through an engine rebuild before, should I be putting some modifications on my to do list? Things like:

Cross drilling the crankshaft for better oiling

Adding a pcv valve

Shave the head or mill the block

Grind the camshaft

3 way valve job

One final thing, I've been told by some that Chrysler products used babbit bearings and others said that they used insert bearings in 1936. Has anyone had a 1936 engine apart and know what's inside?

post-7965-13585362000675_thumb.jpg

Edited by new_castle_j

Where you at in Minneapolis? I'm in Columbia Heights. You should have insert bearings as far as I know. If you get ready to do the engine or even just for advice about it check out adelmann engines in Blaine. He built both my flatheads and is a flathead guru. He built a flathead ford that set a record at last speedweek.

I'm in Richfield. I was at Back to the 50s this weekend checking out the old mopars, but wasn't lucky enough to find anyone standing by their vehicle so I could gather advice. Thanks for the lead on the engine rebuilder local here. I'm motivated to do the work myself, it was part of the reason I got this old car. I've done a lot of my own auto maintenance, but never an overhaul.

I'm sure he'd do as much or as little as you want. If you need any other sources locally let me know. Also consider joining the plymouth club.

(snip)

For anyone who’s gone through an engine rebuild before, should I be putting some modifications on my to do list? Things like:

Cross drilling the crankshaft for better oiling NO

Adding a pcv valve YES

Shave the head or mill the block NOT TOO MUCH

Grind the camshaft YES

3 way valve job YES

(snip)

My 2 cents worth are above. I would add that a 3 angle valve job is sort of wasted if you haven't confirmed that your valve guides are tightly clearanced instead of worn out. The PCV valve won't make it run any better, but might eliminate an annoying oil drip. Forget the cross-drilling unless you are planning on racing it. On second thought, there's not much point to grinding a camshaft if you aren't making intake and exhaust upgrades first.

And personally, I'd add installing a full flow oil filter, but that's just me.

Marty

Edited by martybose
addition thoughts.

Were it me, I might look around for an engine, lots get tossed when folks street or hot tod these cars. My rule of thumb is if you massage a 201, you end up with the performance of a stock 218, if you build a 218, you will end up with an engine that feels like a stock 230. If you build a 230, well you get the picture. And since the costs are going to be pretty much the same the biggest bang for the buck is to build a slightly modified 230. Shave the head to boost the compression, bore it of needed, put a less restrictive exhaust system and maybe an adapter for mounting a 2bbl carb. then you will have an engine which should run comfortably at speed, and still retain the look of a stock power plantand be dependable. A mild regrind on a cam is Ok but the biggest improvement in my opinion is more compression. bearing are inserts. Doing the work youself on an alternate engine gives you a bit of flexibility regarding time and money, and also allows you to flog your car around in aticipation of renewed motivation.

When I did mine, I had the machine shop put it back together till it was what is called a short block, I needed to put on the head, manifolds, oil pump, and pan, timing cover, and electrical stuff. and do the installation and get it operational.

You could also look for a chrysler or Desoto engine but they are longer and would require some additional work to put them in the car.