Chrysler-Corvette?

DLK

At the Back to the 50's Event today it was nice to see a number of old MOPARS among the hundreds of 55-57 Chevys. My wife wondered why I kept gravitating to the old Chrysler products. I am not a fan of putting Chevy engines in Chrysler vehicles and this was really unusual. A newer Corvette engine in a 49 Chrysler sedan? I did see Young Ed's car but missed him. I wish I could have afforded the 33 Plymouth PB that was in the Mecum Auction. What a beautiful car restored mostly original except for hydraulic brake conversion and o.d.

post-578-13585361931516_thumb.jpg

post-578-13585361932221_thumb.jpg

post-578-13585361932688_thumb.jpg

Sometime back I saw a late model corvette engine put to good use in a 52 Chevy. The car had the ultimate sleeper look. The hood and top had rust stains from where the paint had gotten thin, the seats were ragged but everything was all original. The car had that just pulled from a field look, had all the suspension from the vette too hidden behind the old steel wheels and tarnished caps. I'm not into vettes or that model chevy but it was well done.

one would think that with a title of Back to the 50's, that cars modified with modern drive trains, ie those not available in the 50's would be excluded from the show field.

I attended a show yesterday in my class 40 to 49 productioin in addition to my car, was a 49 chevy that was recently brought back to life with a 59 stovebolt 6 and powerglide, not stock but certainly in reason, my car with an original style engine and period performance up grades, and a 46 Ford with a 302 automatic overdrive, and interior out of a modern Mustang. Guess which car got the first place trophy???

So at back to the 50's a vehicle with a 60 or newer powerplat should not have been included.

There was at yesterdays show in the modified production area a 41 Plymouth coupe with a 52 Oldsmobile with 6 dueces, and the hydamatic. Car was you guessed it low gloss black with red wheels and had some period looking interior. It would have been back to the 50's stuff. The 56 Chevy Pickup with the typical 350/350 would not.

...I wish I could have afforded the 33 Plymouth PB that was in the Mecum Auction. What a beautiful car restored mostly original except for hydraulic brake conversion and o.d.

What makes you think the hydraulic brakes were converted in the 1933 Plymouth DeLuxe Six (engineering code PD)? All Plymouths ever built came from the factory with hydraulic brakes.

Did the placard state it has O.D. or were you taking the freewheeling/automatic clutch control to be a O.D. control?

Greg its called back to the 50s but it allows in anything 64 and older and modern engines are not only allowed they are everywhere! Dave looks like you saw my car in the afternoon after we left for lunch. Dads 51 convert ended up right across the road from mine.

Did you happen to get any more shots of the 49??

Looks like he swapped in the GM air conditioning as well. Looks like a nice clean job, thanks for posting!

I wish I had - the car was gray and looked stock from 20 feet.

Greg its called back to the 50s but it allows in anything 64 and older and modern engines are not only allowed they are everywhere! Dave looks like you saw my car in the afternoon after we left for lunch. Dads 51 convert ended up right across the road from mine.

Yes I saw your Dad's and another sedan right next to it!

post-578-1358536199896_thumb.jpg

post-578-13585361999648_thumb.jpg

one would think that with a title of Back to the 50's, that cars modified with modern drive trains, ie those not available in the 50's would be excluded from the show field.

I like your way of thinking but...... Doing so would eliminate the sponsorship for all the major magazine advertisors and the show promotors could no longer afford to fund the show.

I like your way of thinking but...... Doing so would eliminate the sponsorship for all the major magazine advertisors and the show promotors could no longer afford to fund the show.

I spoke to a guy that did a frame off rebuild of a 37 Packard rumble seat coupe but put a modern big block engine and drivetrain in it. I winced when I looked under the hood - but he made a good point. He feels comfortable driving the car from Minnesota to Florida (and apparently does), with a rebuilt Packard 8 or V-12 if a drivetrain part breaks on the road he is dead. So there is room for both lines of thinking but I do hate to see such a rare car so modified.

I do not believe there are any major magazine advertisors promoting this show. Its put on my MSRA. However same deal if you didn't allow all those engines in it would go from 12,000 cars to probably half or less. And then should they block all the stock cars? After all its put on my the street rod association.

What makes you think the hydraulic brakes were converted in the 1933 Plymouth DeLuxe Six (engineering code PD)? All Plymouths ever built came from the factory with hydraulic brakes.

Did the placard state it has O.D. or were you taking the freewheeling/automatic clutch control to be a O.D. control?

The window sticker said it was original "except for the hydraulic brake upgrade" - maybe they just put in more modern brakes. They said it would cruise all day at 70 so I took the liberty of assuming they put an o.d. or different rear end ratio in it. A stock PD would not have cruised at 70 OR would it?

I do not believe there are any major magazine advertisors promoting this show. Its put on my MSRA. However same deal if you didn't allow all those engines in it would go from 12,000 cars to probably half or less. And then should they block all the stock cars? After all its put on my the street rod association.
Fifties is a giant get together for old car lovers---be it stock,modified,custom,streetrod,ratrod ect. It is not a judged event--it`s 10 to 14 thousand cars and 100 thousand people getting together for a good time---IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO FIFTIES PLEASE GO, YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT--- we here in Minnesota are very lucky to have it..........Lee:D