Interior product that lasts.

Todd B

Anyone try the sound insulation kit from Quiet ride? or would I be just as good off using This stuff from Amazon?

I used the Quiet Rides insulation kit and I've been very happy with it. If you browse through my "Interiors" thread ( http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=13189&highlight=Interiors ) you'll see pics of my installation. Their kit incluses strips of Dynamat and a layout map as to where to place it. Then it all gets covered by the insulation panels. The stuff you reference from Amazon looks like Dynamat knockoff. It possibly works just like Dynamat, but it's not insulation. The Dynamat works by adding mass to the metal panels to take the "ring" out of them from vehicle vibrations. It does help with sound deadening, but it isn't insulation.

Merle

I used the Quiet Rides insulation kit and I've been very happy with it. If you browse through my "Interiors" thread ( http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=13189&highlight=Interiors ) you'll see pics of my installation. Their kit incluses strips of Dynamat and a layout map as to where to place it. Then it all gets covered by the insulation panels. The stuff you reference from Amazon looks like Dynamat knockoff. It possibly works just like Dynamat, but it's not insulation. The Dynamat works by adding mass to the metal panels to take the "ring" out of them from vehicle vibrations. It does help with sound deadening, but it isn't insulation.

Merle

I already ordered the insulation kit from Quiet ride as well as the interior kit I just wonder if the insulation will quiet it down or if I should add the sound insulation as well.

Thanks for the link, I was wondering how hard the firewall pad would be to install, I'm already taking out the heater to redo it so may as well add a firewall pad too.

Edited by TheMoose

Is the plastic $123 better than the cardboard?

I'm putting one in from Roberts. Putting some lacquer on the back of the cardboard first. I figure if I pulled a 60 year old piece of cardboard out that was in decent shape after years of abuse, a new one in a pampered truck shoudl be ok.

I really like the authentic look of my black cardboard interior. (even though on my green factory truck it was originally brown). I live in California about 2 miles from the beach and it's not too ofter that the moisture warps the panels. Gary Roberts was nice enough to send me new door panels (with the correct hump) without me even asking, once he learned I had the straight ones for the 48-50 series. I do however have Quiet Ride envy when it comes to the firewall. Roberts was more than a bear to install. I had to make my own cut-out for the emergency handle and the footstarted hole needed some enlarging for correct positioning..(hmm maybe now I'm starting to think not only were the door panels for the 48-50 series, maybe the whole package was not meant for my 51-53 series) anyway back on topic...The Quiet Ride Firwall does look a lot more substantial (and it should at that price, but spare no expense when it comes to getting our trucks looking good and wearing well). Don't get me wrong I really like my Robert's Interior (I didn't but like the idea of clear spray lacquering the back for moisture resistance) I get a lot of compliments on it!

Hank :)

P.S. I might give Gary a call. (he always wants to make things right)

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd do an update to this old post to show all what I have been up to with my interior. I wasn't happy with how the Upholsterer did my firewall trim so I decided to rip it out and do it properly. I also thought I'd finish off my floor while I was at it.

I have just finished installing the Dynamat on the floor and under the seat. I still have to do behind the seat and the firewall but I'm happy with the progress so far. I finally managed to find some pyramid rubber matting that closely resembles the original factory matting - I just need to cut the floor section to fit now.

I suppose that the proof of the effectiveness of the Dynamat is in the driving. I can feel a drive coming on !!!

Desotodav

post-7583-1358537092921_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585370929617_thumb.jpg

The floor mat that I found here in Oz is called pyramid floor matting. It appears to be made of either anti-static hard foam type material, rubber or PVC. It comes in varying thicknesses as well. The stuff that I have used is 3mm thick and has been great to work with. It is said to be PVC but looks more like rubber. Link for product info from supplier... http://www.matting.com.au/mats/mat_runners/pyramid_runner_935.htm .

I found that I needed to buy about 3.5 metres (900mm wide) in order to cover my truck floor, under seat, and behind seat area. The cost of matting was around $35 per metre. Cost of Dynamat was about $200 for a 36sq ft kit. I may use sticky sided velcro to hold the mat in place on top of the Dynamat. I'm hoping to cut the floor section tomorrow afternoon if I get time. I am still considering how I could shave some pyramids off the outer edge to make it look how the original mats were made. I may just end up sewing a black webbing type material on the outer edge of the mat to give the edges a bit of extra strength.

Attached photos: #1 and #2 are original floor matting pics courtesy of Mark (ggdad1951), #3 and #4 are products that I found here in Oz.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585370931099_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585370931418_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585370931806_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585370932136_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

You must line the door with plastic behind the interior panel. All cars come this way from the factory. Rain water always runs down the window, into the door, and out the bottom (if the drains are not clogged). The dampness will warp ANY door panel made of hardboard, pressed board, Masonite or wood panelling which is practically all of them.

Take the door panel off any car, you will find a plastic sheet sealed to the door with mastic or calking. You must do the same if you want your upholstery job to last.

You must line the door with plastic behind the interior panel. All cars come this way from the factory. Rain water always runs down the window' date=' into the door, and out the bottom (if the drains are not clogged). The dampness will warp ANY door panel made of hardboard, pressed board, Masonite or wood panelling which is practically all of them.

Take the door panel off any car, you will find a plastic sheet sealed to the door with mastic or calking. You must do the same if you want your upholstery job to last.[/quote']

Good advice. I would not have thought of that. Thanks.

Barry

I spray all my new door/kick panels with clear thinned varnish or enamel plus the plastic liner.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been waiting since early Dec for my Quiet Ride interior parts. I sent them my originals to copy since they didn't have some of the panels. I was told that I'd get my parts LAST week. I even called them...are they normally this slow? Over a week late on promise dates?