resister question

steve57dodgetruck

I have been reading all the past threads that included the term resister and I think I've gotten more confused. I have a question about whether or not I should be running a ballast resister...

218 block, 12V system. When I bought the truck it had a 12v coil and an external ballast resister. When I tuned up the engine I sourced a 12-volt "internally resisted" coil and deleted the ballast resister.

Am I going to fry my points without a external resister? Prior threads suggested that the "internally resisted" coils are not a good substitute for the mopar flathead electrical setup. Please advise. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen

NO..your call between which coil to use...DO NOT add an extenal resistor to the internal reistance coil..your spark will suffer greatly...

it is said that the internal resistance coils give shorter life to the points as it conducts higer voltage for a longer period of time as the coil/resistor heats..and of note if your points are closed, the ignition sw on and the car not running, then the 12 volts will be seen across the coil since the resistor has not heated up (as the resistor heats it increases in resistance cutting back the actual voltage applied) this explains the shorter points life as the voltage is higher on for a longer period of time compared to the external dropping reisitor or resistor wire whatever the system is using in the external configuration..