Fingertip overdrive control

Robin (UK)

Thanks 52,  I appears on your diagram that there is a two wire switch betweent the ignition and the the 86 terminal on the relay.  That would have to be a two wire switch.  In the case of the shift rite knob, there is only a one wire coming from it.  So hence my conundrum...  maybe someone that has wired one of these can tell me how the diagram you've supplied is modified to accomodate the single wire knob?

Sorry I should have noted that the car is 12 volt ground. To answer your question ( I think) the switch is grounded to where it is mounted? The switch is either supplying or not supplying power to post 86 on the relay. If I remember relays correctly this is the power that closes the switch in the relay and then sends power from the other posts to the gov. and solenoid??

• Like 1

Crudely drawn diagram I used for my R-10 Mopar OD  several years ago in my 50 Ply. 4 dr.  :rolleyes:

post-3654-0-36163100-1427844729_thumb.jpg

The Shift-Rite shifter knob is the momentary ground as shown on the diagram. The latching relay used is early  VW headlight switch which is available in 6V. or 12 V. versions. The knob is grounded  through the shifter knob on the shifter arm if cleaned and 1 wire goes to the relay to ground when the button is pushed. Button CANNOT be held in- will destroy the relay- it is Momentary use only!  But once button pushed and released in-out of overdrive will not change until throttle is released momentarily.

• Like 1

I happened to be sorting through a bunch of stuff at the garage last night and found this little gem stuck inside the carton that the ShiftRite was shipped in.  Somehow overlooked it when I received the package last year.  The illustration on page two in the lower left does indicate that the knob makes electrical contact when screwed to the shifter.

This whole thing is starting to make a little more sense to me now.  Appreciate everyones patience while I wrap my head around this. 

Mark

post-3941-0-12116800-1427893745_thumb.jpg

post-3941-0-24077800-1427893747_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Poured over several versions of the diagram including the geo asche version. To help me get my arms around it, so I fired up Autocad and I threw together what I think is simplified version that includes Geo's two way switch.  Looking for feedback to make sure I didnt exclude anything or get anything wrong.

thanks gents.

post-3941-0-68152100-1428082280_thumb.jpg

What is the part you have ID'ed as OD lockout? The reverse lockout switch?

1. can you post George's diagram?

2. will you tell us how you want the OD controls to work.

Your current diagram has me confused, but that's really new to me! :rolleyes:

Thanks Don.

I understand Georges. Seems to just bypass the governor with the switch and still uses the original kick-down switch,

Just not sure what Mark D wants his setup to do. Sometimes too many options for the operation does confuse. But it's fun to me to have those options. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am very confused, I have a 6volt VW headlight relay can anyone tell me exactly how it should be wired up with a shift rite knob please? Have looked at all the diagrams and am now very confused. I want the most basic wiring set up available.

Where does the governor and reverse lock out switch come into it? Doing lots of head scratching at present!!!

Never was able to get my shift-rite knob to work. I diagnosed it as not being able to achieve ground (earth) at the shift lever.  I do have ground at the lever handle, but the knob wont bond to it for some reason.  So its on the future to-do list.  Nice work on the diagram, should be easy to temp up a circuit with a test light in order to test your theory.  Pretty much how I handle all things electric before I commit. 

I like the Overdrive controls as they were intended to be but have often wanted a fingertip control for the occasional kick down such as found in the Chrysler with M6.   The problem is that in order to achieve k-d , the engine must have the ignition briefly interrupted to break torque.  It is possible to achieve this simply by turning the ignition switch to off then back on , (quickly).   A normally ON pushbutton or a relay controlled by a pushbutton mounted somewhere convenient.... like the gearshift lever... which would kill the ignition (and the power to the OD relay ) would do all this without any major or permanent wiring tear ups.

Me, I have just continued my practice of turning the ignition off and on.   I have not blown out any mufflers yet.   Yet.

• Like 1

Concerning the ignition break accomplished with the factory set up. What does it do? Drops rpm to relieve pressure in the trans allowing the OD solenoid to kick in or out of OD. A quick blip off the throttle does the same thing.

With my OD wiring setup the ignition break is left out and I just give my Shift-Rite button a push just before I want the OD to shift in or out and a blip off the throttle allows the shift change. Has worked very fine for several years now.

DJ