218 Oil Filter question

FYI for the next guy, since this thread has no clear cut definitve answers...

I too meet this criteria;

"The Deluxe Prod. Corp. Laporte ID".

"Model JC filter-use JC cartridge JCUS-30 gasket".

Here are two that defiantly do not fit:

Wix 51011 - Way too big

Wix 51080 - Too short

20180622_082756-1328x747.jpg

The Wix 51011, or Napa 1011, are correct cross reference replacement filters for the Deluxe JC element. However, they seem to be manufactured too fat. They will fit if you roll them against the bench like kneading bread dough, then pressing it into the canister. Not much fun. I have found that the Baldwin JC405 is a much better fit. Slips in without much effort and fits nicely.

• Like 1

I'm still using the Napa 1080 / Wix 51080. Not too short, fits good and easy to change. I install with tight fitting steel washers on the top and bottom of the element to seal it to the tube better, otherwise there is no seal (EDIT: the felt washer integral to the element is too big to make a seal with the housing tube). And a 1/2" spacer at the top to hold it down a bit from the top.

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did my annual oil change and sent in a sample for testing, strictly for curiosity purposes. Included in this test is insolubles (particulates) in the oil that the filter is supposed to remove. Well it turns out that the Napa 1080 is doing a good job, see attachment. Next year I'll try the Baldwin JC-405 depth media sock element and re-test and post the results here. Although 0.1% would be hard to beat! No more assumptions, here is data:

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I have a bypass type filter housing just like Merle described on page two of this thread. Fortunately for me, Merle pointed out the "Outlet" marking at the top of his housing which I also have and hadn't noticed until yesterday. That made me take a second look at the oil lines going to the housing. It looks like I hooked mine up backwards. The line from the main oil gallery in the block goes to the "Outlet" of the filter housing which is obviously wrong. Not too big a deal. I'll remake the lines today or tomorrow.

20190328_233642_1553867348459_resized.jpg.45565456778f39497d53ced5b4cc9d38.jpg

I had no idea how much confusion swirls around these filters. Now I wonder if I bought the correct filter?  Can someone verify?  Here's my top cover and the filter I bought (I think it's correct, just not positive):

20190328_234129_1553867344435_resized.jpg.854337f2b3d2779ee623035a8257e8a5.jpg20190328_234213_1553867341075_resized.jpg.b49514a91310a3e4a19bbaacadba8b18.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Don,

I'm pretty sure your diagram pertains to a different style of filter housing from what I have in my '51 B3B truck. My filter housing looks different and is marked "Outlet" where the oil line enters the housing from the side near the top edge as my photo shows. Your diagram must pertain to your 1948 D-24.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Good catch Jocko. Yes, your lines are backwards in that photo, and yes, that is the ideal filter element for that canister. A Wix 51011, or Napa 1011 is also supposed to fit, but they seem to be a bit too fat and are a VERY tight fit. The Baldwins fit perfectly, in my experience.

Also, when you make up new lines, route the return line down to the fitting in a direct line, if possible. Avoid the loop that you have in there now. Tighten that fitting another 90 degrees, or so, so that the threaded port is facing upwards... However, when I look at a picture of mine I see that mine isn't perfect either, but it does maintain a downward run.

PC300174.JPG.825cc24ea568ddb718e49777980195ee.JPG

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Thanks 1

Here is a photo of the oil filter line routing for the 1/2 ton WC military trucks. I believe the civilian trucks that had oil filters used the same routing. I routed the oil lines the same way on my WC military. I do have the slightly larger oil filter canister that takes the paper element, not the sock type element. I use a Wix 51100 in my canister. 

A2FE0CA2-C71E-4B55-B2C7-5A154AE39AA1.jpeg

On 3/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, Dozerman51 said:

Here is a photo of the oil filter line routing for the 1/2 ton WC military trucks. I believe the civilian trucks that had oil filters used the same routing. I routed the oil lines the same way on my WC military. I do have the slightly larger oil filter canister that takes the paper element, not the sock type element. I use a Wix 51100 in my canister. 

A2FE0CA2-C71E-4B55-B2C7-5A154AE39AA1.jpeg

I use the same setup in my civilian '47 Dodge truck and I believe it to be all original.  I can look and/or take a picture if anyone really needs to know exact routing.  

Hace 33 minutos, Al Peterson dijo:

Utilización de la misma configuración en mi camión Dodge '47 civil y creo que es todo original. Puedo ver y / o tomar una foto si alguien realmente necesita saber el enrutamiento exacto.  

Yes please

• 3 years later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:48 PM, John-T-53 said:

I did my annual oil change and sent in a sample for testing, strictly for curiosity purposes. Included in this test is insolubles (particulates) in the oil that the filter is supposed to remove. Well it turns out that the Napa 1080 is doing a good job, see attachment. Next year I'll try the Baldwin JC-405 depth media sock element and re-test and post the results here. Although 0.1% would be hard to beat! No more assumptions, here is data:

53 DODGE-180811-1.jpg

53 DODGE-180811.pdf 17.35 kB · 2 downloads

Was there a follow-up to this analysis for the Baldwin filter?

On 10/13/2022 at 7:54 AM, JBNeal said:

Was there a follow-up to this analysis for the Baldwin filter?

Not yet, thanks for the reminder. I have yet to install a Baldwin filter as I am missing the internal parts to make the canister work with that type. Maybe next year....