218 Oil Filter question

Good morning-I believe that is the same as the one on my 230 a NAPA 1011 or something similar. Since you have the unit off, I'd take it to a local dealer and see if they can match it up for you. I bought one about a month ago for this year's cruising season. Mike

Farm equipment supply store. Lots of tractors, and stationary agricultural power plants (pumps, welders, generators, compressors) are still in use with that type of filter.

I do believe if you can use the NAPA 1080 or 1080 Gold as a cross reference number you should be able to come up with an element.

• 2 months later...

so I just bought a 1010 and it seems too short. it sits down in the filter bath about 3" below the top... do I have a different housing for the filter?

It's a 48 b-1-b and as far as napa goes or google that's the correct filter??? also will that hurt anything if it's sliding up and down in there????? YIKES.

I'll try to snap a shot and post it up later...

I am also interested in what the correct filter element is for the 218 with a bypass unit with a T handle. I am restoring a '51 B3C and the element that came out it is a cartridge that fits nicely, although it may not be original (there is no designation on it). I also used the search function (there is a ton of stuff, including the problems with the oversized sock) and found a 8/6/10 thread titled "Oil Filter Question". There is a post from John-T-53 that indicates that the NAPA 1080 will work but it needs a little help - spring under the element, two washers, and a 3/4" spacer on top to basically keep the element centered on the two holes in the center tube. I haven't gone to NAPA yet nor have I called Roberts to check on the cartridge they list for 34-59 trucks. If anyone has some information on this matter, I think that a number of us would appreciate it.

Barry, on my 48 (218) it has the bypass filter kit on it and I pulled out a Fram C120E it seemed WAY too big and I had to pull hard to get it out, but figured it had been in there for 7+ years and maybe it was swollen.??

I called napa and ordered the 51101 I think from what I've read they fixed the oversize problems but we'll see tomorrow when it arrives.

on my 37 MC bypass unit (without the T handle) It had a WIX paper element in it. Wix # 51080 and looked just right. hope that helps?

post-7989-13585362980256_thumb.jpg

post-7989-13585362980555_thumb.jpg

post-7989-13585362980871_thumb.jpg

Please disregard the previous post. I just noticed that you live in Australia, as does the seller. Thus, I will try to contact the manufacturer - Baldwin.

I found a Baldwin dealer in my area and stopped in and ordered a Baldwin P73 (the same one listed on ebay by an australian seller). It crossed to a Fram filter that is exactly the same (I didn't get the number). We will see if it works when it comes in next week.

Ok so for what it's worth. I got he wix 51011 yesterday. Didn't really like how it had no rubber gasket inside the filter around the skinny metal post that the t-handle screws to. Like the fram c120e I pulled out.

At any rate I had to roll it on my workbench with my arms pretty hard just to get it to squeeze in. THEN after much twisting and pushing with my bare hands to slide it in it was an inch too high. I put the lid on and cranked it down with the t-handle.(luckily it the threads were long enough.) hen I had to take it off and pound it down in gently with a hammer just so it wouldn't pinch the cloth in the seal. Hope I didnt clobber the stuffing inside too bad.

But it's in! However I can't wait to see what you end up with. There has GoT to be a simpler drop in filter ugghhh.