Project Alter-K-Tion II (1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe)

addicted2dunes

When you weld something like this you should be pre-heating the parts before you weld so you will get the right penetration. you also might want to do a few more passes on each side, their is going to be a lot of stress on that weld.

Difference between off and on road is if it fails on the street and you get into an accident the lawyers will be all over you. off road the most likely person to get injured is you unless something freak like king of the hammer a few years ago. My kids build crawlers and jeep speed cars plus work on a few class 1 cars.

I think at 3.375 raise of the boss will allow the steering arm to clear the trunnion boss on the end of the lower A frame. I have a set of Fat Mans dropped uprights and even after heating and bending the arms up at the rear bolt as much as possible they still hit the boss before they hit the stops. I have them mocked up on a 41 dodge front clip and have not installed them on my car yet but am afraid that they will limit my turn radius even with the stock steering.

I think at 3.375 raise of the boss will allow the steering arm to clear the trunnion boss on the end of the lower A frame. I have a set of Fat Mans dropped uprights and even after heating and bending the arms up at the rear bolt as much as possible they still hit the boss before they hit the stops. I have them mocked up on a 41 dodge front clip and have not installed them on my car yet but am afraid that they will limit my turn radius even with the stock steering.

I'm with James on this issue. I've got Fatman uprights, and I'm waiting for the time to pull them so that I can get the lower bolts replaced with countersunk allen head bolts to get some of my turning circle back.

Marty

• 1 month later...
What looks like a 37 olds?

I'm thinking he is talking about your first photos you posted.

Anyway, looks like you are doing a great job :D It's obvious while you might be new to old Mopars you definitely know your way around metal. I actually want to go the other way on my 50 Dodge, I like it a few inches higher over stock.

I would re-evaluate the fitment on your caliper. Your brake pads not fitting completely down over the rotor would worry me. It may cause failure for the pad material to have a ledge that will eventually be outside the rotor and can cause the pads to break apart. Just my 2 cents.

I would re-evaluate the fitment on your caliper. Your brake pads not fitting completely down over the rotor would worry me. It may cause failure for the pad material to have a ledge that will eventually be outside the rotor and can cause the pads to break apart. Just my 2 cents.

It is perfect. I have done lots of brake conversions. The brake pads are at the very top edge of the rotor, any lower and the caliper bolts will rub the rotor and you always want them high, if they are low it will create a ledge on the rotor and will be a pita to get the caliper off for brake changes.

Here are a few other examples:

trailering-brakes.jpg

hrdp_0706_04_zframeswilwoodbrakes_w_drilled_rotors.jpg

• 4 years later...

where did you go for upgrades for original suspension

Everything you need to rebuild the original suspension is available and not that expensive. It's a pretty beefy suspension, as good or better than a clip IMHO, without the work. Get a front shock relocation bracket from OldDaddy as well.

The chassis is pretty beefy as well, so you'll never run into any issues there that would require a frame swap.

I rebuilt mine on my 49 Chrysler a while ago. Easy and looks good, if you like, there are brackets available for Rack and Pinion and a couple of threads here on the installation of a kit bracket and a homemade bracket.

Before

FrontSusp_FrameBare.jpg

After

FullFrontalB4Springs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

using dropped up rights require the  steering arms to be re shaped,,,fat man  can do this for you,,  they did mine  turned out great,,here is how it sits if you can see  in this pic the 40 ply sittign next  to  my  40 dodge  is  stock  height

post-938-0-35104600-1464072540_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-45204400-1464072555_thumb.jpg

post-938-0-98354800-1464072578_thumb.jpg