My 50 Dodge is moving

1just4don

Unfortunately not under its own power. Been stored in a garage for 30 years and now I sold the house and garage so it has to move.

Dog kennel is now gone so I can back up to her and load the motor into a pickup. Its going to a machine shop to 'see' if it is fixable or terminal.

IFI can fix it it is going to get it NOW. Then it will be running shortly. If its injuries are terminal I am back to square one looking for a donor block or good running motor.

She hasnt seen the light of day for many a moon. I know some glass got cracked while in there and some trim now missing,,,but overall might be okay.

Going to air the tires and see if they stay up for a week. If they do I will roll on them,,,if they dont they get changed to some that do hold air. trailering and moving around on flat tires dont work for me!!!

My options are to 'rent' a space but is so expensive if it stays there for years again. OR build a quickee shack out of pallets and throw a used roof(recycled lumber) over her somehow. Or find any old shed and move it home.

Setting outside it wouldnt last from noon to dinner cause doubt she sheds water or sun well for long!!!

What would you do,,,where is my best option???

I doubt her injuries are terminal. I hope you bring her back. Those of us with 1950 Dodges could probably have a convention in a phone booth so it would be a shame to see her go... I purchased my 50 Wayfarer in part because it was something you don't see very often.

I forgot to say. Reason I want to keep it is my grandpa bought it brand new. I always wanted to drive grandpas car!!!

That's a good reason to keep her. My own Grandpa had a 54 Packard Patrician until he died in 1961 that he was so proud of. I often thought of buying a similar car.

My 49 Plymouth sat in a dilapidated garage from about 1983 to 2002. I think it was already badly rusted out when it was parked. I dragged it out on flat tires so I'd have more room to work on it. Kept it covered for about two years with a car cover. It wasn't the greatest but it worked. I suppose as long as you don't have rain falling on it, you're OK. I'd look into a decent tent type of thing. It'll be much cheaper than months (or more) of storage, I would think.

My block was cracked just under the head from front to back. The crankshaft was also cracked. I got a replacement from forum member Jim Yergin, which he generously gave me. It was a 53 that I think used to be in his 41 Woody. The block was good but the crank on that one was also cracked. Finally got a good crank and rebuilt the engine I got from Jim.

The insides of my rims were so pitted from rust that I doubted a tire would seal against them. I had them sandblasted and then smoothed the pitting with JB Weld. Put new tires on them. They all leak, pretty much, but slowly. Every month or so I have to put air in them. I think there's only one I'll have to re-do or replace.

Anyway, sounds like a good project. Expand the brotherhood of 1950 Dodge owners so that one day you can hold your conventions in a bigger venue than a phone booth. Think big. Like, maybe the corner booth at the diner.