Progress downUnder

Hi Guys, here is the progress of my dump truck to date - what do ya think? What started with just getting her running has developed into a full blown strip down and rebuild! My engine has finished being machined and in the process of being rebuilt from the ground up. The cab and all tin panels have now been sandblasted and primed ready for prep before final top coat. The chassis is soon to be finished once I drag her outside and give her one final clean up. I figured the best way to do this was the front half first (chassis, engine, cab and brakes) before I tackle the tray, chassis and rear end. I seem to manage about one day per week to disappear into the shed and play. Any thoughts welcome...

post-7428-13585361152877_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585361153453_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585361154172_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585361154926_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585361184591_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just a little more progress on the truck. Engine is now back together after total rebuild (pistons - 60 thou o/s, rings, valves, guides, springs, bearings, timing chain, bushes etc) and I'm in the process of slowly getting it all back together before it meets the chassis again.

Cheers

post-7428-13585362026817_thumb.jpg

post-7428-1358536202769_thumb.jpg

looking great! Its fun putting it back together!

.060" over on the cylinders? Was there that much taper/slop? Mine went .030" over.

Me engine seemed to have a rebuild somewhere in it's earlier life as it was already 0.020". I'm not sure if it did have excessive taper but one cylinder was particular bad, hence the reason to go 0.060".

Edited by Jason Hyde

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

G'day folks. It's been awhile since I've posted but life's been busy and progress is continuing - albeit slowly. The engine is now sitting back in the chassis with the front half of the chassis sandblasted and coated with POR15. All of the panels have been sandblasted, primed, worked on, re primed and now ready for top coating with colour in the next month or so. Front springs about to come off and be reset. Happy New Year.

post-7428-13585365691104_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585365691685_thumb.jpg

Well done Jason - looking good!

I was playing with an old 48 about the same size as yours a week or so ago. I may end up buying it yet for a few more parts. I haven't had much to do with the mid-sized trucks to date. It's interesting that your gearbox appears the same size as the smaller trucks. I know someone after a gearbox like that.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585365700635_thumb.jpg

That transmission is the standard spur gear 4 speed used in the 1948-50 F and G series Std. duty 1-1/2 tonners.

Nice job on the restoration!

• 4 months later...
Progress has slowed somewhat but the cab is now mounted back onto the chassis. All the paint work is complete, glass is in up upholstery completed. Coming together now!

Looks great, love the colour.

Karl

ps: remember even when your falling on your face your still moving forward...lol