How Many Drive Their Old Mopars In Rain

55 Fargo

On 5/9/2011 at 10:39 AM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Hey so here is the ?

How many of you Guys drive your Old Mopars in the rain. My area seems to be soggy this year, and if the weather forecast includes a lot of rain, I might start driving on rainy days, up to this point have not driven in rainy weather if possible.

So this is todays not overy useful question/discussion. I have been grounded by both winter, rainy weather, and of course dirty dusty gravel road, that I live on, which is alomost 3 miles from pavement.....

Every day

This count????   Nearly drown several times.   Doors leak but that also lets the water out!  One doesn't sign up for this but it has never intimated me from enjoying the moment.  Ya get hero points too!

Rain Shot.a jpg enhanced.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory
added text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've never let rain stop us! If we have something planned with a car and it rains, we don't let it stop us. That's why they have wipers! Lol, how else do you know if your windshield leaks? 

It adds to the fun in my opinion and actually gives me reason to wash them other than from dust. 

On my 61 Ford convertible, you can see daylight very clearly in the top corners of the windshield frame where the top meets it, and it never leaks any water. My truck with a new windshield seal and glass leaked like a garden hose at first. 

• Thanks 1

Occasionally, even here in sunny southern Alberta, we get a little rain.

5a57e9952ab27_Imnostrangertotherain.jpg.2065f8499d0d2c121c648d224a52e614.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pffft to you all. 

Trying driving with external contracting brake bands in the rain....:(

But its does rain much around here...:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 9:33 PM, DrDoctor said:

It’s a lot like when I rode a hard-tail chopper (9’1” of total joy, S&S 117, Baker trans, PM wheels, upper and lower controls, … and if you couldn’t get something into your pocket, it didn’t make the trip, oh, I could wax on . . . but not here nor now), ie: you don’t run out and say, “it’s raining, let’s go for a ride”. We drive our ’46 Club Coupe whenever we want—rain or shine, but we don’t wait for it to rain to go for a drive.

I have heard of the hard tail choppers and the soft tail choppers. I personally much preferred riding the split tail choppers.:wub: Much better comfort zone when lubed up well.

• Like 1

Don................lol..........you run out of meds again?..............lol............and Mrwrstory.........nice 32 Roadster, especially with the correct engine..........btw, what sort of headers are they and engine details........andyd

On 1/10/2018 at 7:42 AM, DrDoctor said:

Upper controls (clutch (before suicide setup…), and front brake)—on the handlebar operated by hands. Lower controls (transmission gear selector (before suicide setup…), and rear brake)—on the frame operated by feet. I’ve ridden motorcycles for well over 40 years, but gave it up about 10 years ago. Still miss it, tho’!!!!!

Never heard them referred to that way, thought maybe you were talking about forward controls. I don't currently have a hand shift, foot clutch motorcycle but with British and Italian bikes I have a good selection of shift patterns and right or left side shifting.. Keeps the mind nimble..

Generally avoid getting the P15 out of the garage if rain is in the forecast, but a couple of years ago, we were heading back from Ocean City, Md.  About a 260 mile jaunt, and it rained most of the way home.  That poor Plymouth was a filthy mess by the time we arrived home.  Took a lot of work and time to get her shiney again.  :(

On 1/9/2018 at 6:29 AM, MackTheFinger said:

I've ridden Harleys for 50 years and never heard of those...

He probably had OE placement controls, and forward controls...  My guess.

When I worked as a technician at Outpost Harley Davidson in Pueblo Colorado, I seen some interesting custom built bikes out there.  It really made me appreciate stock motorcycles.  I was there when the evo's were on top of the world.  I quit working their after the first year of the twin cam.  Some of the lowest paid years of my life, but definitely the most fun I ever had at work.  What an experience! 

On 5/9/2011 at 11:21 PM, daddyo23 said:

It doesn't bother me to drive it in the rain. I do like the idea of a vacuum canister, though. Have to look into that.

Don’t waste your time. I looked into a vacuum canister once, didn’t see a damn thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, Andydodge said:

Don................lol..........you run out of meds again?..............lol............and Mrwrstory.........nice 32 Roadster, especially with the correct engine..........btw, what sort of headers are they and engine details........andyd

Andy, I'm real proud of the Hemi.  It's a '57 Dodge at 325 in.  Built it myself as well as the headers.  Also has a 5 spd manual trans.  When I drive it, rain or shine, I'm 16 years old again. I just love this car.

Img_3829.jpg

MR...........so that'll be the last of the Red Rams isn't it?.........we never got anything Hemi, only the 318 Polys.........does the 325 RR use the same block & heads as the 240 & 270 or is it physically larger but still smaller than the DeSoto/Chrysler hemis?...........btw thats a nice set of headers you made, any other engine pics......shame about the Frod body but we'll forgive you.................lol..................and you do look like a 16yr old...is that a bit of bumfluff on your chin.............lol...........andyd. 

20 hours ago, Andydodge said:

MR...........so that'll be the last of the Red Rams isn't it?.........we never got anything Hemi, only the 318 Polys.........does the 325 RR use the same block & heads as the 240 & 270 or is it physically larger but still smaller than the DeSoto/Chrysler hemis?...........btw thats a nice set of headers you made, any other engine pics......shame about the Frod body but we'll forgive you.................lol..................and you do look like a 16yr old...is that a bit of bumfluff on your chin.............lol...........andyd. 

Hey Andy, I'm livin large!!!! 

241 and 270 Dodges were smaller versions concurrent with the Chrysler 331 and 354 starting in 1953.  Desotos were somewhere in between.  When Chrysler raised the deck and increased the stroke to yield 392 inches, Dodge decks and strokes were increased to yield 315 and finally 325 inches in 1957.  The 270 and 315 Dodge Polys are the same block as the Hemis.  The 318 Poly you mention was a new architecture, 1958-59........I think.

I've got a gillion engine pics but won't "abuse the privilige".  Here is a link that is way outta date.  You'lI see I attempted 180 headers but threw in the towel in favor of getting the car on the road.  I gave up on  Photobucket

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wstory/library/HEMI build?sort=3&page=1