How Many Drive Their Old Mopars In Rain

55 Fargo

I believe Mr Coatney has one of those cannisters also........

I don't - my wipers only work so-so and are even a inch or so

shorter than a sedan due to the smaller convert windshield.

Fogging of the windshield during a rain is the other problem.....my

defrosters don't work all so well either.

My rigs live outside, rain or shine. Drilled some drainage holes. Not really necessary in my 69 Sweptline, those things have pasta strainers for floorboards anyway. Every place it CAN leak, it DOES leak. No biggie, the Dodge motored Ford armed wipers work great, the defroster works (eventually, sometimes), the door trim is factory fiberglass and the door bases are rotted out. Let it rain, I'll just stay out of the pasture (truck gets stuck on fresh grass clippings). :mad:

My 49 Dodge? Driver's door gets secured by a bungee or a gate hook. Every place it could even remotely dream about leaking, leaks like crazy. And it doesn't even have wipers anymore. My stepson's 54 English Ford has vacuum wipers, pretty much less than worthless.

When the 49 gets redone it won't be driven in the rain unless absolutely necessary. I have a VW Bug for lousy weather.

In 2007 when my friend Henry and I took our 4800 mile trip out west in my 48 P15 to Reno, then Grass Valley and Folsom Cal area then on to Bonneville Utah for speed week it rained all the way from Amarillo Texas through Colorado and Utah. It did not stop until we hit Nevada, I have installed aftermarket electric wipers on mine. The rain leaks around the wiper towers and drips on the drivers pants leg, other than that no problems. I do not take any extra precautions in case of rain before driving the car, if it rains it rains. Now if driving it would make it rain at two in the morning I would be out on the streets driving it. It was the driest April in recorded history. We have been having 30 to 40 mph dry winds off and on since the first of the year and no rain. Half of the state is burning because of the drought.

Hey thanx for all the posts on this thread.

Today it was misty.cloudy, but not rain, so went for a 25 mile ride, it was cool outside about 55f. My engine at this cooler ambient tmep was running at about 155-160, so witnig for a hot day to see what temp she will sit at. I find here running cloeser to 160, with my new stat in, the old 160 was not working well.

Glad the topic veered to the vaccuum thing, I am lucky and have electric wipers, but it looks like some of you have upgraded your wipers witha vaccuum storage container, all the best ......

Well I just installed the newport 12 volt wiper motor in my car so driving in the rain will not be so scary anymore. With the sunvisor though and some rain-x it really wasn't that bad. I usually don't like to take it out in the rain if I can avoid it, but if it comes a flood after I leave, so be it.

Now if I can just figure out how to keep it from flooding the engine compartment through the molding holes in the hood I would be alright.

Steve pull the center strip put some clear silicon in the holes and reinstall the hood strip before the goo dries.

I just drove mine in the rain a few 100 feet. Having severe weather with reported 2" hail in the area so I borrowed an empty garage stall from a neighbor.

Thanks for the tip Ed. I'm driving to Nashville next weekend and trying to get all the quick fixes done I can. As much rain as we have had the last month or so it is a safe bet it might rain a bit.

I installed this vacuum can on my car several years back. I can get 4-5 swipes after I shut my engine off.

vacres.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Don. I was looking through your photobucket but didn't see it. I'm gonna set something like that up.

Thanks for the tip Ed. I'm driving to Nashville next weekend and trying to get all the quick fixes done I can. As much rain as we have had the last month or so it is a safe bet it might rain a bit.

If you come to Nashville on Friday head down to the Boro for the Friday evening cruise in.

2011 Cruise-In Location Information:

Where:

The Avenue Murfreesboro

2615 Medical Center Parkway

Murfreesboro Tn. 37129.

When:

Every Friday Night

5pm - 9pm

May 6th - September 30/ Weather permitting

Event:

2011 Cruise-Ins

The Murfreesboro Hot Rod Club is proud to announce it's weekly Friday Night Cruise-ins. The Avenue Murfreesboro. The Cruise Ins will be held behind Belk's, 2615 Medical Center Parkway. The Cruise-ins are open to all makes & models. Participants are asked to donate $1 to enter, there is no charge to spectators. All profits, after expenses, go to local charities

Edited by Don Coatney

About 20 years ago a young couple brought a 48 P-15 CLub Coupe out to my shop that quit running just when the husband decided to teach his new wife how to drive a std. trans. I found the problem (hole in the intake thru into the heat riser) fixed things and shortly after that when she went in to labor they were forced to drive the Plymouth through the foul weather to the hospital. Their MK 4 Lincoln wouldn't start!

Fluid DRive

If you come to Nashville on Friday head down to the Boro for the Friday evening cruise in.

2011 Cruise-In Location Information:

Where:

The Avenue Murfreesboro

2615 Medical Center Parkway

Murfreesboro Tn. 37129.

When:

Every Friday Night

5pm - 9pm

May 6th - September 30/ Weather permitting

Event:

2011 Cruise-Ins

The Murfreesboro Hot Rod Club is proud to announce it's weekly Friday Night Cruise-ins. The Avenue Murfreesboro. The Cruise Ins will be held behind Belk's, 2615 Medical Center Parkway. The Cruise-ins are open to all makes & models. Participants are asked to donate $1 to enter, there is no charge to spectators. All profits, after expenses, go to local charities

Hey Don,

That sounds like fun, but I may not get down there until after 7pm or so on Friday night. Might be ready for a cold drink and a dip in the pool by that time. Anything going on down there Saturday night?

• 6 years later...

If I did not drive my cars in the rain, I would not get to drive them at all.   When I licensed my 52 Fargo last March, I am certain it rained every day I drove it for  the next three months !

I discovered to my delight that the electric wipers are two speed and to my dismay the windshield  leaked  a lot !    

I don't take the cars out if the roads have been salted.    Rain washes most of this away  so it is a mixed blessing.  

Looking out the  window today I am going to consider building an ark .