Marvel Mystery Oil ??? OT

55 Fargo

Hi all,what is the general concensus on using Marvel Mystery Oil in our old flatheads. I can get the product here in Manitoba, but it is going to have to be ordered in by special request by the local TrueValue store. Apparently it is not being aggressively marketed in this part of Canada. Is there any other product on the market that does the same things as Marvel. I would like to try the MM in my flatties oil and gas, as the engine runs fine, but did sit for 25 plus years before I awoke her in 2005............Thanx guys Fred

Lots of people put a quart of straight 30 weight oil in 15-20 gallons of gs to provide upper lube. I have used it but not impressed by it- any thin oil will work I think.

Also one product I do swear by is sea foam for cleaning up the insides of an old engine and the varnish on the carb.

I have actually seen the results of that stuff.

It is for both gas and oil

Lou

Sea foam and MMO are the only two "snake oils" I keep in my garage. It helped me break my engine loose in my Datsun. Looks a lot like kerosene. I add it to my gas sometimes. I add it to my oil sometimes. I add it to my coffee sometimes. Just kidding, I don't drink coffee. I just drink the MMO straight.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I believe MMO can be found at WalMart here in the states.

Probably at other discount stores as well.

Can you find a web site for Marvel and ask who their

dealers are???

I have put some in my gas tank from time to time.........can't say it does anything

noticeable, but I figure it can't hurt.

I dumped a can of Rislone down the carb and let it sit over night. It freed up a stuck intake valve that driving around town could'nt fix. Created so much smoke when we fired it up, that the fire dept showed up. This happened 45 yrs ago when you could get away with stuff like that!

I'm not sure if we accomplished anything, but occasionally in the olden

days would pour some of that real thick motor honey stuff down the

carb (very slowly). The car would smoke like crazy during the process.

No guys in a big red truck showed up, though.

I hope not to offend anyone but I am really skeptical about any of these addititves.

Marvel mystery oil has been around a long time and I know my dad used it in his cars before, but what does it really do?

People tell me in this forum that today's engine oils are so much better than those these cars were designed to use, so why add MMO?

And why add it to the fuel? I thought the flatty was already equipped with hardened valve seats, so why the need for this stuff?:confused:

I have the same questions about Seafoam. If folks are so worried about ethanol in the fuel, wouldn't something like Seafoam, claimed to 'clean out' your fuel system and insides of your engine if added to the oil play havoc with any non metallic components like seals, pump diaphragms, etc?

Just asking the question, no criticizing:)

Lots of people put a quart of straight 30 weight oil in 15-20 gallons of gs to provide upper lube. I have used it but not impressed by it- any thin oil will work I think.

Also one product I do swear by is sea foam for cleaning up the insides of an old engine and the varnish on the carb.

I have actually seen the results of that stuff.

It is for both gas and oil

Lou

IMHO, I wouldn't add more than 1 oz. oil to 2 gallons of fuel.

The sea foam, I can say works for what it was made to do. It cleans valves i pour it in a running motor while slightly reving the motor. It does make the car smoke, it's burning the crap off the valves. I would not put it in the gas tank as it would smoke while you were driving and continue until it's all gone. I have used M.M.O with an oil change until I saw the Lucas oil additive. I think to gaurd against dry starting lucas works the best. I have heard, I can't confirm or deny that using MMO in the gas leaves a film of oil on the rubber parts in the fuel pump and keeps the paper inside of the carb from drying out during long storage.

The sea foam, I can say works for what it was made to do. It cleans valves i pour it in a running motor while slightly reving the motor. It does make the car smoke, it's burning the crap off the valves.

Pour tap water into the cabuerator and it will burn (actually steam clean) the crap off the valves. If you like I will sell you a few bottles of water at an inflated price to make you feel better:rolleyes: