door handle/window crank removal

Plymouthy Adams

sometimes these can be a pain..get a bit stuck over the years and having to use one hand to hold the spring compressed and then tyr to use a punch and hammer..forget about it..so I was removing handles from the doors of the Suburban last night..laying on the floor board was this tool..so I say why not..its spring loaded ought to move it it a bit..the shaft is the correct size, the snapping action punched the pins straight out..simple quick process...another use for yet another tool..

these are inexpensive and handy to have as pockets on a shirt...seen these sell for between 3.00 to 5.00 at most places like Harbor Frieght, Northern tool etc etc

post-7-13585361091693_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is probably a better use for the tool than its original intention. From my experiance when used as a center punch they do a good job marking the hole but I always have to follow behind with a real center punch so this tool only adds an extra step.

In the past my tool of choice was the trusted scribe..but as I said, if a pin is reluctant to move you have to use a driving force of some nature..thats when the third hand is needed..this tool eliminates the need for the third hand...simply push in on the escutcheon to compress the spring with palm up and using the sides of the thumb and forefinger leaves a cup for the pin to fall into..if pressure is need and the spring of the tool releases..it will shoot the pin right out I found..

hey Don, walk up to the side glass of a modern car and press this tool..its a most shattering experinece..

I was sitting in my truck a few years back when a guy was weed wacking close by. This was a shattering experiance and got my attention pretty quickly.

glass1.jpg

I know the tool of which you speak, it is hard to imagine spending 40.00 buck on a tool to remove a door handle pin..I guess if for some reason you had a job that had you doing upward of 40 of these handle in a hour..8 hours a day....and at that rate I would expect the employer to have this specialty item for shop/employee use

I noticed nobody mentioned the tool that's made for that. Does that tool really make it easier to pop them pins out? I thought about buying one but it's kinda tough to spend 40 some bucks. I use a punch myself.

Tom

I bought one on Ebay, but I didn't pay near that much for it.

BfwiDgBmkKGrHqQH-EQErfgTnKjBLCgI2TpL_12.jpg

I was going to make one myself, but this one was cheap enough to justify buying it versus taking the time. It works well, much easier then using the punch and holding back the spring. The bezels on my car are scratched from someone taking it apart in it's past life, but I gotta say it would be hard to cause much damage with the tool.

Pretty simple to make if you really wanted one and didn't want to spend the money.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...