Will JB Weld fix it?

stewdecky

So i broke off one of my exhaust manifold studs today and tried to drill it out. I got it out but the bit wandered a little and ate some of the threads on the block. I put thread sealer on the stud and reassembled with a new stud. You guested it. It started a slow leak of antifreeze on my manifold. Nice white steam comming up from the engine. So my question is will JB Weld spread on the stud threads and dabbed into the drilled area before resembly do the job and stop the leak?? It is a small leak and i took out the top threads when i drilled it out. What do you guys think is the best way to fix it?

I broke off an exhaust stud once on a 69 Roadrunner years ago. I put "Liquid Steel" in the hole and let it set and tapped new threads and "voila" fixed it right up. But of course some guys have a different approach which is good also. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Tom

I had the same issue with the outlet for an oil pressure sending unit on an old Ford engine several years ago. Did the same thing P-12 Tommy did, but with the JB Weld. Same results, no problemo. Unsure how the JB Weld will hold up under anti-freeze and more heat than the side of the block, but it won't hurt anything to try it, or the Liquid Steel.

I agree with the others...can't hurt to try. Just make sure everything is really clean and dry before you attempt the repair. And make sure you give it a ton of time to set up. My Grandfather fixed a cracked block in his old Farmall McCormick tractor with JB weld. It dripped a bit of antifreeze but that was it.;)

I just went to the next size stud and drill and tap it to fit the larger size. On my old Dodge there was enough room on the header to do this.

I think this is the best answer as far as a guaranteed fix.

It won't hurt to try JB weld as it won't harm anything.

Besides temporary fixes are only temporary unless it works.

Read that bit of wisdom from one of the signatures here and LIKED it.

Thanks for all the good info. I like the idea of drilling it out and tapping to the next size stud. I already put the jb weld to the test and will let you know.

Thanks for all the good info, i am so glad I found you guys as flathead six info has been hard to come by until I found this site. Thanks again.

Loctite makes a kit called "stripped thread repair" and it shows it being for manifolds etc. Basically you mix an epoxy (probably like JB Weld) and then put some in hole and thread you bolt or pipe in, let it set and you are supposed to be able to remove the bolt and have "new" threads. I got it a a local parts store here and it worked well for the small repair i had. My 2 cents