Well here it is vicious boat

Lou Earle

Been puttering around with boats lately. Have discovered several things

1 not nearly as expensive as cars

2 if you stick to old pre 1965 or so 40 hp and les engines they are VERY reliable especially Johnson eventide and gale- they did not change 35 and 40 hp engine for about 15 years.

3 uses points (dual) and coils and magneto

4 carb is easy to rebuild- one barrel easier than an A model.

5 cables for shifters can usually be cleaned oiled and revived

6 steering is usually very easy to rebuild-the old cable spring system is very safe and reliable new cable is available at almost all hardware stores

7 parts are very easy to find actually napa has points carb Kit condensers etc. here are a few pics of my just finished 54 feathercraft all aluminum and the 57 blue star made for and sold by sears. the feathercraft has a 35 hp evinrude1959 star has a 61 40 hp

they are a lot of fun to work on now lets see if they are fun on water!!

By buying older "junk " boats and motors I put these 2 together for less than 2 grand each- including everything like tire and bearing new lights or old if usable.

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

I always heard that getting a boat was like getting a wife..you tickled to death when you get it..happier when its gone..be careful with that boat Lou..either you going to scare the heck out of some drunk fisherman or worse you round the bend in some lazy southern river and hear the tune of dueling banjos..

Lou;

It appears you have exceeded the legal limit on the number of toys one is allowed to own. If you dont ship the P-15 vert/boat combo and the Mustang vert to me today the toy cops will raid your stable tomorrow and you must forfit everything. Act now before it is too late.:rolleyes:

Here is my combination camper/boat. The boat can easily be taken oft the top and flipped over and use as a row boat. Kind of a throw back to the Popular Mechanics ideas of yesteryear. Just something to do for me and cheap!! Jon:)

004.jpg

Edited by JIPJOBXX

lou, i have had boats for over 30 years. they are great and you are right, they can be less costly if you go the way you have. just a freindly reminder. if they have cable steering, it was made illegal for a good reason. if you are running at speed and the cable breaks or comes out of the pulleys the boat will go out of control and people can be killed. in some states it is banned even in older boats.it is a little costly to convert to modern steering, but it is worth it. i love the finned boat. capt den

Not aware of anyone making it illegal but it can be hazardous if not set up right. The securing of the springs and the tension on them is critical.

All the set ups I read about recommended no more than 80hp on that steering system. another problem is stretching when you tilt the motor up.

You should disconnect the cables from the motor before you tilt or have longer springs- some times double them up.

I appreciate the warning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how ti rig a kill switch on a magneto engine?

thanks

Lou

is that second boat a redfish?

Guess I've exceeded my toy quota! About 20 boats and 10 old mopars! Don't turn me in to the toy police!

Also, as to towing you boats, check your insurance. Most collectable carriers will cancell your coverage, actually the call it "void fron inception" ie, you never had coverage- if they find you ever pulled a trailer. these include Hagerty and most of their equals. There are a few that will cover you, but none of the big names will.

lou, i looked up these cable steering systems and did not find anything illegal about them, but they do require maintenence and the parts need to be in excellent condition and adjusted properly, and then they can be very nice to use. i have this old pulley in my boat parts and i did not know what it was for. turns out i saw it on a post while looking up cable steering. it is no use to me so if you want it i will mail it to you. email me at captden29@peoplepc.com. if interested. i may even have 2 of them, but definitely one. dennis