GAS tank springs

ggdad1951

Every truck I've come across has the inner fender spring from the carb.

I'm interested in a complete set of all the springs being made! sign me up Hank.

48D

huh, when I tore her down it soooo looked like a farm fix that I was sure it wasn't original!

Gas tank spacer dimensions: 13/32" hole, 1 1/4" long, 1/32" material thickness

Desotodav

so, the spacer is what the bolt tightens "down" on so the tank can deal with the frame flex? I assume with a .031 thick walled spacer the washers are pretty tight to the bolt?

so, the spacer is what the bolt tightens "down" on so the tank can deal with the frame flex? I assume with a .031 thick walled spacer the washers are pretty tight to the bolt?

Yes, the bolt does tighten down on the spacer to allow for frame flex. The spacer fits comfortably over the bolt without force required. The tank lip holes are threaded to cater for the bolt thread. I used zinc-plated spacers on mine with a smear of copper anti-seize paste (like Merle).

Desotodav

• 2 weeks later...
It's not held up by the springs. The springs are used between the bolt head and the frame bracket, along with some spacers, to allow frame flex without twisting the tank. The tank sits on top of the support bracket at the rear. My original springs and bolts were rusted tight. I was able to find springs of a similar size at my local True Value Hardware store for reassembly.

Merle

since I'll be getting my springs from DU soon (YAH!) I have a question: should the spacers be free to float thru the rear mounting bracket holes? I'd think that is the only way the springs would do anything. If all they do is compress on the spacer and that is between the nut (bottom) and bracket (top) they do zero for anything. If the spacer was free to float in the rear bracket, then the springs would have some use. I ask because I plan on SS tubing for spacers and may have to drill out the holes in the rear bracket slightly to let them float.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank Hank. I arrived home tonight to find the gas tank springs in my mailbox. He sent me a notice through paypal for payment less than a week ago. I sent him the money he requested and about a week later the springs were in my mailbox.

I have found that most people in the US are afraid to use paypal. Even though the people who own google own the site. If you know what money they make per year it is pretty safe. Anyway some people were afraid of this so I sent them a money order through the mail. They have received the check and I am still waiting for the parts. I am thinking that customs must be holding up the parts.

Again I would like to thank Hank. He was very professional and a pleasure to do business with. If he ever has anything else I need in the future I would be very happy to do business with him in the future.

I have mine and am just waiting for the bolts to show up from Fastenal to install. Any possibe word on the other springs in SS? Thanks to all involved in getting these to us!

Pedal return springs

carb/throttle springs

thanks!

LOVE paypal...prefer it over checks in a heartbeat!

ggdad1951 .... Any possibe word on the other springs in SS?

I have a clutch/brake return springs and door handle escutcheon springs presently being worked on Mark. The clutch/brake springs are different from the ones that you have pictured. Hanks and mine look like those in the attached photo. Unfortunately, they both involve a fair bit more work than the others and will cost considerably more than the gas tank springs.

I am hoping to see the spring maker on Monday about the two throttle linkage springs.

I am going to work with Hank to try and provide a complete spring package. I would like to have this available to forum members as soon as we can work out all of the springs that are required. All springs will be stainless steel and made as replicas of the originals. We still need to do some more homework in order to reduce freight prices, but I am sure that we can get something up and running in the near future.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585360567076_thumb.jpg

Like most, in the world of identity theft I was nervous at first. Subsequently what I've learned is that you are the only one that can authorize access your checking account. It's very similar to paying bills online. You buy the item by paying the vendor thru Paypal with a debit or credit card you register with PayPal. PayPal in turn pays the creditor.

One advantage is that you do not have to give the vendor the expiration date or more dangerously the 3-digit number on back of the card. When someone knows your credit card number, expiration date and 3-digit number, the only thing stopping a fraudulent purchase is (and not always) is if you ask for the item to be shipped to a different address than that shown on the card.

I was able to bill Mark and Richard thru PayPal. All I needed was their email address, nothing more. I don't think Mark or Richard had to have a PayPal account but only had to pay PayPal just like any other online purchase.

Paypal then in turn credits my PayPal account so I show a balance and here's the really good thing: I could either leave the funds there for use on another purchase or if I chose I and only I can transfer the money to my checking account.

Online transactions sure beat the heck out of writing checks, addressing envelopes and licking stamps.

Hank :)

I have a clutch/brake return springs and door handle escutcheon springs presently being worked on Mark. The clutch/brake springs are different from the ones that you have pictured. Hanks and mine look like those in the attached photo. Unfortunately, they both involve a fair bit more work than the others and will cost considerably more than the gas tank springs.

I am hoping to see the spring maker on Monday about the two throttle linkage springs.

I am going to work with Hank to try and provide a complete spring package. I would like to have this available to forum members as soon as we can work out all of the springs that are required. All springs will be stainless steel and made as replicas of the originals. We still need to do some more homework in order to reduce freight prices, but I am sure that we can get something up and running in the near future.

Desotodav

That's ok, if they are the right size but different looking I just want the SS!

Edited by ggdad1951

• 4 months later...

I'm in the process of figuring the SS springs for pedal return. If there is interst I'll order extra and pass them off at cost + shipping...

UNLESS Desotodave has made progress after all this time?

Edited by ggdad1951

Mark, I have a supply of the throttle linkage springs. I will arrange a post over the weekend to advise progress and gauge interest. I have spoken with Hank about them recently and should be sending a quantity of each to him soon for distribution.

I haven't been successful on the making of stainless steel clutch/brake pedal return springs or the door escutcheon springs yet though.

Desotodav

Apologies for the delays - work has had the better of me lately!

I have finally managed to get a batch of stainless steel throttle linkage springs together which I plan on sending over to Hank within the next week. The springs are made from stainless steel and are as close to original as I could have them done. I have attached a few pictures to try and explain things to the best of my knowledge.

The springs are labelled 14-06-1 and 14-14-4 from the workshop manual diagram .

The 14-06-01 spring can be better seen in the 3rd attached photo that Tony posted earlier on this thread. My truck set-up shown in the 4th attached photo has the 'clip' 14-14-5 set to the rear of the 'cotter pin' 14-14-4 for some reason (although I have seen other trucks like this). I have had springs made for both set-ups, but would imagine that most trucks would be similar to Tony's.

I found that the 14-14-4 springs came in 2 different diameters (0.380 and 0.440). The wire gauge seems slightly thicker on the one with the larger diameter too. I had a supply of both diameters made - but those requiring these springs will need to specify the diameter of this spring to Hank when ordering them.

I am yet to find a solution to the spring that mounts from the throttle linkage to the inner guard as I have not been able to establish what an original (if there was such a thing) one looked like. The inner guard spring installed on my truck seen in the 4th attached photo is very similar to the 14-06-1 spring - I have just had the spring arms lengthened so that the spring entire length is about 7 inches. I have bent the legs of a split pin and used a couple of washers when inserting the split pin through an existing hole in the inner guard. I can have others of this spring made up quickly if this style meets with approval from others here.

I have discussed the supply of springs with Hank over numerous emails and he has agreed to distribute the springs for those requiring them in his part of the world. I would be pleased to distribute them to any of our Oz members. We had considered offering them as a package, but this would depend on requirements and there would be no issues selling them individually. It is difficult to establish cost of these springs until the cost of freight is known. Hank and I will sort something out once he has the springs - but the prices won't be exorbitant.

I would appreciate any feedback with regard to these springs. I believe that they would not greatly differ between trucks and cars.

I am happy to help out members with other stainless steel springs as required. My spring maker generally works with rounded spring wire. I have not been successful with having him work with flat wires (yet!!!). I have found that freight costs are pricey between Oz and USA, but this varies with the quantity and the weight of the items sent. I am open to suggestion if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to Australia Post freight.

Desotodav

post-7583-1358536320908_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363209372_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363209684_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363209978_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363210259_thumb.jpg

I'm IN for the springs you can supply thru Hank. When he gets them I'll make sure to order the right one for the one with two options. For what it's worth mine has a diameter of ~.385" and wire diameter of ~.048". The mystery spring on mine had one end broken off and the coils bent out so they'd hook, so I DOUBT mine was "original" Didn't someone think it may have been a after market "fix"?

Any luck on the pedal return springs?

Edited by ggdad1951

I saw your photo earlier in the thread about your inner guard spring Mark. I thought that I'd throw the idea out there for comment and see what we got back. I have a suspicion that the springs were possibly factory installed because I have come across a few of them on the trucks that I have had or seen. I am happy with the one fitted to my 51 truck, and I think Hank was going to try and hook his up the same.

I haven't got a reply on the pedal return springs yet. The spring maker said that they were factory wound, but he will have a think about them and come up with something. He is quite talented at what he does. I just had him make up some springs for Richard's 47 Deluxe seat rails - oh by the way Richard they were sent a few days ago.

I will get back to all down the track if I have any luck on the pedal return springs. I would love to have them installed on my truck too.

Desotodav

My 51 has two holes (one larger, one smaller) close together in the Passenger Side Inner Fender. I'm not certain two holes are stock but rather suspect the previous owner (s) may have drilled the hole so that the curved end of a spring could be worked into the inner fender. Somehow I think what is stock is a fender washer with the same inner diameter as a cotter pin that is used to hook the spring end into is stock.

The reason I can't wait is that no matter what I seem to do or fiddle with shortening the throttle return spring, the last little bit always makes my idle creep up to (I'm guessing) 600-700rpm and it'll idle nice and quiet at 450rpm (where I think it's supposed to be) Pretty sure the side mount spring is going to do the trick without making my gas pedal too spring loaded and hard to push.

P.S. Desotodav, The only unique or "special" thing about the pedal return springs is how they taper before they terminate. This is nice but it's mostly cosmetic. Finding the correct gage and length and tension is something your spring maker could easily do. A conventional stainless spring would work just as well I'm sure.

Edited by HanksB3B

My 51 has two holes (one larger, one smaller) close together in the Passenger Side Inner Fender. I'm not certain two holes are stock but rather suspect the previous owner (s) may have drilled the hole so that the curved end of a spring could be worked into the inner fender. Somehow I think what is stock is a fender washer with the same inner diameter as a cotter pin that is used to hook the spring end into is stock.

The reason I can't wait is that no matter what I seem to do or fiddle with shortening the throttle return spring, the last little bit always makes my idle creep up to (I'm guessing) 600-700rpm and it'll idle nice and quiet at 450rpm (where I think it's supposed to be) Pretty sure the side mount spring is going to do the trick without making my gas pedal too spring loaded and hard to push.

P.S. Desotodav, The only unique or "special" thing about the pedal return springs is how they taper before they terminate. This is nice but it's mostly cosmetic. Finding the correct gage and length and tension is something your spring maker could easily do. A conventional stainless spring would work just as well I'm sure.

my pedal return springs have no taper, nor do the ones that VPW sells. Might that be a year of production issue?

I'm actually getting some joy from one vendor. I need to send my spring in and have them check it over. I'll let you know what its looking like for a spring cost. Warning they might not be all that cheap. Who is seriously interested?