GAS tank springs

ggdad1951

Apologies for the delay, I still don't have the stats for the fuel tank springs from the spring maker. I will chase him up again throughout the week. He has advised that he can only make round wire springs.

I am working with Hank in getting a few items over there which will include various springs, a small supply wheel hubcap clips, and possibly spring shackle mounts.

I am sure that you will hear from myself (or Hank) when things come together.

Desotodav

Oz Desoto and Dodge 108's

I guess if I'm the contact in USA, I'll keep editing this post until everyone makes their request known. Logistics to follow.

Gas Tank Springs (I'll assume 2 springs unless you specify)

ggdad1951 Qty 2

hanksb3b 2

richardb 2

Kudos to Desotodav!

Hank :)

Edited by HanksB3B

I asked the same questions early in the piece and was told of the springs to allow for chassis twist under load.

I don't think that the load area of my truck will see much action either. I spent way too much time sanding those floorboards!

You can put a lot of twist in the frames pulling into some of the driveways we have around here. These frames flex a LOT.

I would be interested in buying a complete "small spring set" that you guys come up with. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time,,and would be glad to have any springs sitting on the shelf waiting.

If I can afford them anyway :)

+1 on the frame twisting in driveways. Mine twists a lot. Even my modern Fords,,I can twist the bed out of alignment from the cab by 3-4 inches pulling into a field. That is empty,,,weight has nothing to do with twisting. Watch your bed in the mirror next time you pull over a ditch.

Edited by razerface

yah, pulling into my driveway is going to be a joy....lots of twist will go on there!

As for the other spings we use (throttle linkage, pedal returns, etc) I'd be interested in those in SS as well. I'd think in a nice bulk package this won't be to bad of a cost from DU.

Looks like desotodav is coming through for us.

Springs.jpg

I don't know all the details, but when I receive the package I'll update.

6 of the Gas tank Springs are spoken for

ggdad1951 Qty 2

hanksb3b 2

richardb 2

The Glove Box Spring will be used as a template for possible remanufacture

1 pair of Gas Tank Springs is available

1 pair of The Front Shock Mounts are unassigned

There are 10 Wheel Clips but I'd like to maintain at least 1 of them

(if possible) for re-manufacture on a small quantity run.

Details to Follow,

Hank

Thanks for updating the post Hank. Hopefully you will have the package within the next week. I will work on other springs and should be able to send another package over soon. I need to confirm a couple of things first though.

Throttle return spring:

I have attached photos of the throttle return spring/s on my 51 truck. I believe the spring facing front to back is original (see picture 2), but I am not sure if you have the same spring over there (USA). If someone can confirm this for me from photo 1, I would be glad to have some made up.

I suspect that the spring from left to right side attached from the throttle body to the inner guard is not original. It (a similar spring) was on the 51 truck when I got it and seems to work well, so it can stay for now!

Brake/Clutch return spring

I assume that we are on talking the same language with the brake and clutch return springs. If someone can confirm this with me from photo 3 and 4, I will look into having them made also.

The door mechanism and glovebox springs are proving to be a problem at this stage. I will have to try and find another maker for them.

I would imagine that the emergency brake springs should be alright to have made, but I would need a sample as they appear different to my vehicle/s.

I have also had stainless steel springs made for inside my wheel brake cylinders (photo 5). I can have these duplicated it required. Apologies, wrong side of the ruler showing in the photo for you guys!

I have my springs made from stainless steel but I am sure that the spring maker can do them from steel if people require them in that form. The process for making and baking the differing steels varies as the differing steels react to heat in opposite ways. I don't think this poses a problem for the spring maker, but I imagine that it would be easier for him to make just one type of each spring.

Hank has a list of the prices needed for me to recover costs. He will need to add freight to individual purchaser's before establishing individual costs. I have conversed with Hank and he feels that the prices are quite reasonable.

Desotodav

ps.. Thanks to Hank for making this deal possible. I hope that I can assist other fellow Mopar enthusiasts in the process.

post-7583-13585360121523_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585360121845_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585360122114_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585360122394_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585360122699_thumb.jpg

Looking good there Desotodav,

I`d be interested in some of the springs your having made.

I will find the stuff I have for the post 53 trucks and compare them to what you have available.

On a side note, you are missing a spring on your carby linkage.

The horizontal sharft joining the pedal linkage to the carb should have a spring on it. It stops excesive force being put on the carb butterfly and linkages when you put the pedal to the floor.

DSC04803.jpg

I might have been wrong there. I just had a second look, is there a spring on the shaft or am I seeing things.

Edited by Tony WestOZ

Thanks for updating the post Hank. Hopefully you will have the package within the next week. I will work on other springs and should be able to send another package over soon. I need to confirm a couple of things first though.

Throttle return spring:

I have attached photos of the throttle return spring/s on my 51 truck. I believe the spring facing front to back is original (see picture 2), but I am not sure if you have the same spring over there (USA). If someone can confirm this for me from photo 1, I would be glad to have some made up.

I suspect that the spring from left to right side attached from the throttle body to the inner guard is not original. It (a similar spring) was on the 51 truck when I got it and seems to work well, so it can stay for now!

Brake/Clutch return spring

I assume that we are on talking the same language with the brake and clutch return springs. If someone can confirm this with me from photo 3 and 4, I will look into having them made also.

The door mechanism and glovebox springs are proving to be a problem at this stage. I will have to try and find another maker for them.

I would imagine that the emergency brake springs should be alright to have made, but I would need a sample as they appear different to my vehicle/s.

I have also had stainless steel springs made for inside my wheel brake cylinders (photo 5). I can have these duplicated it required. Apologies, wrong side of the ruler showing in the photo for you guys!

I have my springs made from stainless steel but I am sure that the spring maker can do them from steel if people require them in that form. The process for making and baking the differing steels varies as the differing steels react to heat in opposite ways. I don't think this poses a problem for the spring maker, but I imagine that it would be easier for him to make just one type of each spring.

Hank has a list of the prices needed for me to recover costs. He will need to add freight to individual purchaser's before establishing individual costs. I have conversed with Hank and he feels that the prices are quite reasonable.

Desotodav

ps.. Thanks to Hank for making this deal possible. I hope that I can assist other fellow Mopar enthusiasts in the process.

I had a similar "odd" spring on my 51 throttle return that was hooked to the inner fender...so...maybe someone had the same idea across an ocean, or it was a "standrd" fix?

I think the pedal return springs look about right, at lunch I can take a picture of mine if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I'd be interested in the throttle springs (all 3?) and the pedal returns.

thanks so much! this is AWESOME!

still looking for any info anyone has ont he spacer and bolt size for the rear of the gast tank for use w/ the springs....thanks, mine were cut apart to get the tank off and have gone missing!

here are my pedal return springs...overal length of ~6.25"

2011-03-22104030.jpg

here are my throttle linkage springs

2011-03-22104555.jpg

here is the "odd" spring that went to the inner fender...and I'm missing one end!

2011-03-22104715-1.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

still looking for any info anyone has ont he spacer and bolt size for the rear of the gast tank for use w/ the springs....thanks, mine were cut apart to get the tank off and have gone missing!

I have to R&R my gas tank at which point I will document what is there (provided it looks original)

Also, while your pedal return springs look like a good fit, I don't think they are original.

We'll know how much and how to pay once the package arrives.

the rear of the tank is held up by springs, I assume to deal with frame flex.

I never knew about these springs.Merle,can you show us some pics about this?I don't have pics in my manual.Thanks.:eek:

The photo attached shows the bolt/spacer/spring for the gas tank. The bolt appears about 3/8 with a fine thread (UNF?).

Do they use Dyna-bolts in your part of the world ggdad1951? The Dyna-bolts in the attached photo show a spacer that is used in order to tighten the bolt whilst it is in the ground. I would imagine that they would almost be an exact match for the spacer if you had the correct size Dyna-bolt. The skinny Dyna-bolts in the photo are long with 2 small spacers + a split spacer. You might get the 2 spacers that you need from 1 Dyna-bolt by purchasing a 3/8? bolt in a longer configuration?

I will speak with the spring maker again once we have a better idea of what needs to be made. I will ensure that sufficient quantities are made at the time. I may look into the Dyna-bolt spacer idea and include them in some sort of spring package once we have all the particulars sorted out.

I do have a spring on the pedal shaft Tony. After viewing your photo, I notice that mine is attached to the tab at the front of the shaft and not to the rear like yours. Maybe I will have to look into having it made into stainless as well?

post-7583-13585360124567_thumb.jpg

yah , those types of anchors are around. I was thinking of turning some stainless spacers so they don't seize up on the bolts again, hence some dimensions needed.

Wonder just how much an order of 24 would cost from Down Under to Up Over?

lol....."yo dude, like, I'm from Up Over"....I like it.:D

48D

I had a similar "odd" spring on my 51 throttle return that was hooked to the inner fender...so...maybe someone had the same idea across an ocean, or it was a "standrd" fix?

Every truck I've come across has the inner fender spring from the carb.

I'm interested in a complete set of all the springs being made! sign me up Hank.

48D

Frankly, all this fuss over fuel tank mounting hardware has been interesting. As many of you probably found, my rear tank mounting bolts were rusted solid to the spacers and springs. When it came time to reinstall my tank I made a trip to my local True Value hardware store and picked up a couple of springs and spacers that appeared close to what the old ones were. They worked just fine for me. I slobbered them all up with anti-seize when I installed them to help prevent them from rusting together again. So far no issues.

Merle