GAS tank springs

ggdad1951

ok, I admit it, I have a spring problem.....:o

I cut off the springs for the rear of the gas tank, but can't find the leavings to find replacements...any help?

PS....still looking for the e-brake spring....:(

I took my old ones to a local spring maker here in Oz and had some stainless ones made. They only cost a couple of dollars each. Here is a photo in case it helps...

Those look super nice! Wonder if he still has the specs as I plan on dropping my tank this summer to fix or install a new gas gauge.

Please PM me I know shipping will be pricey. Could probably throw in a jar of Vegimite and it'd be the same.

Hank :)

thanks, can you get a wire diameter and do you rememner how stiff they were?

I THINK I have a gas tank with the springs hanging off it. If they aren't too much I'd be interested in a couple new ones. Also the hardware store my buddy works at has a couple racks of springs and might have some off the shelf close ones.

I THINK I have a gas tank with the springs hanging off it. If they aren't too much I'd be interested in a couple new ones. Also the hardware store my buddy works at has a couple racks of springs and might have some off the shelf close ones.

ok, stainless sounds like a good idea!

I especially like that they are stainless steel and by the look of them the spring manufacturer knows what he is doing. I forget how many springs are used on each gas tank. Wonder just how much an order of 24 would cost from Down Under to Up Over?

YAH!

I will drop down and see the local spring maker tomorrow for the specs. There are 2 springs at the rear of each of my tanks and the front is hard-mounted. The photo is of the rear of the old tank under my 55 Desoto 108c truck which is next in line for restoration. The fuel tank is not as good as I remembered it. The hornet nest and cobwebs give it that old 'rustic' look! I have found that freight is pricey between Oz and the States.

post-7583-13585359796761_thumb.jpg

get us what specs you can and I'm sure we can find a "up over" vendor! Biggest thing is the wire diameter, uncompresed length and srping rate (k-factor).

I dropped in on our local spring maker today. I should have the stats that you gents require for the springs on Monday.

I asked him to make me a couple of other stainless steel springs for my throttle body while I was there.

I believe stainless is the way to go. I have also used stainless inside my external door handles and inside my brake cylinders (see photo). The minimal additional cost is well worth it for something that should last forever. There is no substitute for quality!

post-7583-13585359840922_thumb.jpg

yah, for doing my resto I'm cheating in several areas and using stainless fasteners and parts where I can and not look out of "original".

the rear of the tank is held up by springs, I assume to deal with frame flex.

It's not held up by the springs. The springs are used between the bolt head and the frame bracket, along with some spacers, to allow frame flex without twisting the tank. The tank sits on top of the support bracket at the rear. My original springs and bolts were rusted tight. I was able to find springs of a similar size at my local True Value Hardware store for reassembly.

Merle

I asked the same questions early in the piece and was told of the springs to allow for chassis twist under load.

I don't think that the load area of my truck will see much action either. I spent way too much time sanding those floorboards!

post-7583-13585359847811_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585359848396_thumb.jpg

It's not held up by the springs. The springs are used between the bolt head and the frame bracket, along with some spacers, to allow frame flex without twisting the tank. The tank sits on top of the support bracket at the rear. My original springs and bolts were rusted tight. I was able to find springs of a similar size at my local True Value Hardware store for reassembly.

Merle

sorry, I had it wrong, but I had no spacers...just bolts and springs, my memory had the tank between the springs and bracket.

I dropped in on our local spring maker today. I should have the stats that you gents require for the springs on Monday.

I asked him to make me a couple of other stainless steel springs for my throttle body while I was there.

I believe stainless is the way to go. I have also used stainless inside my external door handles and inside my brake cylinders (see photo). The minimal additional cost is well worth it for something that should last forever. There is no substitute for quality!

I agree on the Stainless for sure but what is of most importance is that you have a guy that obviously takes pride in his work. As far as MOPAR springs go they are rapidly approaching extinction.

What I am proposing (screw the shipping) is that as far as I know no one else North of the Equator (probably presumptuous) has a Spring Maker capable of one-off springs.

Everyone that has a MOPAR sub-assembly that requires the correct spring would benefit by being able to replace a broken spring with a bona-fide remanufactured spring instead of a Mickey-Mouse local hardware store solution that I personally end up with in most cases.

I'd like to start a list of Springs (that I can think of off-hand)

Brake and Clutch Pedal Return Spring

Throttle Return Spring

Gas Tank Springs

Door Mechanism Springs

Emergency Brake Springs

Glove Box Flat Spring

What I'm trying to say is that I believe there is a market both at the P15-D24 level and to those suppliers that we usually go to for parts.

I'm attaching a 100% scan of a couple of impossible to find springs from our door mechanisms.

DoorLatchSprings.jpg

I suggest (if you would be so kind to volunteer) that (and I'll share in the responsibility in the USA) that we collectively gather sample springs for re-manufacture if you and your spring maker would be interested.

What do you think?

post-2934-135853598512_thumb.jpg

I'd be only too happy to help out Hank.

The spring maker spends most of his time watching his large machine work whilst it makes handles for plastic buckets. He seems to make a lot of tent rope springs too. He makes all of the smaller one-off springs by hand to the exact specs of anything that he receives. He works some odd hours so he can be a little hard to catch at times. I will be seeing him again on Monday so I will run the idea past him. I think that he would be happy to take on the challenge.

I am sure that I could take on the freight forwarding job. I don't think that freight costs would be too high for forwarding on small springs. I could probably have a dozen or so of each spring made to start with rather than re-inventing the wheel (so to speak) each time he receives a spring. I suppose the quantities will depend on demand. He could probably make steel rather than stainless for those that don't want to "cheat". He told me that there was a technique in making stainless springs as opposed to metal ones as the metals react oppositely when baked. I personally prefer stainless as I know I won't have problems with them rusting in years to come.

I have only worked on 108 trucks and I don't have a lot of knowledge with regards to the passenger vehicles discussed on this forum. I still have a lot to catch up on with a birth year of 1967! I am sure that we could work wonders if we have samples of the required springs to present to the spring maker to start with.

Let me know your thoughts and I will work something out with him.

p.s.. are the scanned ones that you have shown flat with rounded edges?

you don't ship freight ship parcel post and declare it as gift for customs I have shipped stuff back and forth between there and here.

How much would 4 of those springs cost me?

Bryan

I will drop down and see the local spring maker tomorrow for the specs. There are 2 springs at the rear of each of my tanks and the front is hard-mounted. The photo is of the rear of the old tank under my 55 Desoto 108c truck which is next in line for restoration. The fuel tank is not as good as I remembered it. The hornet nest and cobwebs give it that old 'rustic' look! I have found that freight is pricey between Oz and the States.

but would like some help from anyone on the boards so inclined to be part of this effort. Although I managed to get my door mechanisms working properly by a little amateur blacksmithing I've used everything I had so I don't any physical samples. Dave it's my understanding you did go have the door mechanism springs fabricated but I'd bet you don't have extras. Will the scans and your spring guy's memory be enough for a small quantity run-off?

You have the Gas Tank springs. Not sure of a quantity needed but we should think in 12, 24, 48 etc. I'd think.

I will do some photo work but as you suggested it would really help to supply samples.

Thanks,

sorry, I had it wrong, but I had no spacers...just bolts and springs, my memory had the tank between the springs and bracket.

Yes, the bracket supports the weight of the tank and the bolts come up from underneith. The spacers (as shown in Desotodav's post) should go through the bracket and tighten against the tank. They allow the bolts to be tight against the tank and the springs will compress against the bracket. The tank does bolt to the bottom of the cross member at the front, but it just has bolts up there without springs.

Desotodav, since my "samples" have gone the way of the dodo, do you, or anyone else have the specs for the bolt and spacer (I assume we'll get springs set up from our down under friends)?