#1 ggdad1951

ggdad1951

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

• Moderators
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

ok, I admit it, I have a spring problem.....:o

I cut off the springs for the rear of the gas tank, but can't find the leavings to find replacements...any help?

PS....still looking for the e-brake spring....:(

restored great granddad's B-3-D: were did my money go?  It's now going into TODD and the COE!

FEF  ||  TODD Build  ||  COE Project  ||  Building a Wood Bed  || Setting Split Rivets  ||  Caboose Project  ||  Door Lock Mount Rebuild  ||  Rebuilding Control Cables

#2 Desotodav

Desotodav

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

I took my old ones to a local spring maker here in Oz and had some stainless ones made. They only cost a couple of dollars each. Here is a photo in case it helps...

Attached Files

#3 ggdad1951

ggdad1951

• Moderators
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:21 AM

thanks, can you get a wire diameter and do you rememner how stiff they were?

restored great granddad's B-3-D: were did my money go?  It's now going into TODD and the COE!

FEF  ||  TODD Build  ||  COE Project  ||  Building a Wood Bed  || Setting Split Rivets  ||  Caboose Project  ||  Door Lock Mount Rebuild  ||  Rebuilding Control Cables

#4 HanksB3B

HanksB3B

• Members
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

I took my old ones to a local spring maker here in Oz and had some stainless ones made. They only cost a couple of dollars each. Here is a photo in case it helps...

Those look super nice! Wonder if he still has the specs as I plan on dropping my tank this summer to fix or install a new gas gauge.

Please PM me I know shipping will be pricey. Could probably throw in a jar of Vegimite and it'd be the same.

Hank :)

#5 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN
  • My Project Cars:40 Plymouth PT105 1/2ton, 46 Dodge WC 1/2 ton, 48 Plymouth club coupe

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

thanks, can you get a wire diameter and do you rememner how stiff they were?

I THINK I have a gas tank with the springs hanging off it. If they aren't too much I'd be interested in a couple new ones. Also the hardware store my buddy works at has a couple racks of springs and might have some off the shelf close ones.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." Captain Lance Murdock
Ed J

#6 HanksB3B

HanksB3B

• Members
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

I especially like that they are stainless steel and by the look of them the spring manufacturer knows what he is doing. I forget how many springs are used on each gas tank. Wonder just how much an order of 24 would cost from Down Under to Up Over?

#7 ggdad1951

ggdad1951

• Moderators
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

I THINK I have a gas tank with the springs hanging off it. If they aren't too much I'd be interested in a couple new ones. Also the hardware store my buddy works at has a couple racks of springs and might have some off the shelf close ones.

ok, stainless sounds like a good idea!

I especially like that they are stainless steel and by the look of them the spring manufacturer knows what he is doing. I forget how many springs are used on each gas tank. Wonder just how much an order of 24 would cost from Down Under to Up Over?

YAH!

#8 Desotodav

Desotodav

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

I will drop down and see the local spring maker tomorrow for the specs. There are 2 springs at the rear of each of my tanks and the front is hard-mounted. The photo is of the rear of the old tank under my 55 Desoto 108c truck which is next in line for restoration. The fuel tank is not as good as I remembered it. The hornet nest and cobwebs give it that old 'rustic' look! I have found that freight is pricey between Oz and the States.

Attached Files

#9 ggdad1951

ggdad1951

• Moderators
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

get us what specs you can and I'm sure we can find a "up over" vendor! Biggest thing is the wire diameter, uncompresed length and srping rate (k-factor).

#10 Desotodav

Desotodav

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

I dropped in on our local spring maker today. I should have the stats that you gents require for the springs on Monday.
I asked him to make me a couple of other stainless steel springs for my throttle body while I was there.
I believe stainless is the way to go. I have also used stainless inside my external door handles and inside my brake cylinders (see photo). The minimal additional cost is well worth it for something that should last forever. There is no substitute for quality!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users