front shocks

ggdad1951

• 2 months later...

To address similar questions on another duplicate thread that overlooked the answers given here, as well as for another thread that had doubted the answers' authenticity, I dug up the original shocks to the '49 1 ton, and all were stamped "MADE IN MONROE" and had the DPCD Logo:

49Dodge1ton said:
My '48 B-1-B-108 & '49 B-1-D-126 both are sportin' Monroe -

Front: 31000

Rear: 32207

post-6555-13585361357326_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585361357624_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585361358016_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585361384365_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
added links

I dug up the original shocks to the '49 1 ton, and all were stamped "MADE IN MONROE" and had the DPCD Logo:

so extended they look to be about 21.25" on centers? Collapsed about 13" on centers?

but I think it was Merle that recommended AutoZone as a source for shocks for the B3B model. They were something like $20-$25 each and the real point being, even inexpensive gas-filled shocks of today are way better than anything that was OEM back in the day. It made a world of difference don't complicate matters just match the dimensions and load capacity and you'll be more than fine without spending a whole lot of cash.

Hank :)

Yup... I got my shocks at Auto Zone. I even shocked the counter kid. I had already done my research on their web site so I knew that they listed them for my truck. I told him I needed shocks for a 1950 Dodge 3/4 ton truck. He says something like, "Yea, we're not gonna have anything for that."

I say, "Go ahead and look it up anyway."

He looked it up and says, "Wow, we even have the rears in stock. I can have the fronts here in a day or two."

"Great, ring 'em up and I'll be back in a couple of days to pick up the other ones." He gets the 2 off the shelf and orders up the other 2 and I'm now running Gabriel shocks on my truck with no complaints.

However, I just checked and they don't list anything for the 1 ton trucks. I also checked my parts manual and they don't specify any p/n's per model. There is only 2 pages of shock part numbers with a list of rebuilding parts for each. It says to get the part number from the shock shell when ordering.

• 5 years later...

I'm running the new shocks that were on my 52 half ton parts truck on my 49 1 ton in the front.  I saved a bad one so that I could get the measurements in case I ever need to match them up if/when these fail.   You guys have eliminated the need to do that!  Thanks men.   Mike

On 4/21/2017 at 10:18 PM, tattooman43 said:

I lowered my 54 dodge truck about 3 to 4 inches front and back I'm looking new ones for mine there about 11 1/2 in front and 15 in back that level ground center to center mounts amy help what size I should get

Up front I used Monroe 5850's which are rear shocks for a 69 Vette. I had to use two of my old bushings up top since the Vette shocks have a smaller top bushing. Or, you could get replacement bushings at somewhere like Amazon for like $5 a set.

I have yet to replace the rears...

44 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

Up front I used Monroe 5850's which are rear shocks for a 69 Vette. I had to use two of my old bushings up top since the Vette shocks have a smaller top bushing. Or, you could get replacement bushings at somewhere like Amazon for like $5 a set.

I have yet to replace the rears...

I think they are all the same size all the way around

If you are lowered about the same all around, that would be perfect then. I will have to get another set for the back!

I still have a little work to do in the back like pull a leaf out to smooth the ride and install new shocks. So knowing they are the same length, makes it that much easier to just get it done.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

I am around 4.5" of drop up front in suspension alone.  3" axle drop and another 1.5" from removed leaf spring. 

With the lower profile tires over the 7.00-15's I got another 1+ inch which obviously doesn't have anything to do with shocks.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...