some progress...

52b3b Joe

It seems that I never took a photo of the firewall on the outside of the cab when I took it appart. Now I have a lot of clips and dont know where to put them. Does anyone have a picture of the firewall with everything running through it and everything that bolts to it. I know where most of it mounts but I cant remember where the small little details go. Thanks!

I'll post some of my rebuild after I get home with my bed wood....photobucket is loading SLOWLY the pictures I took.

as promised:

2012-08-03084347.jpg

2012-08-03084336.jpg

2012-08-03084244.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

I'll post some of my rebuild after I get home with my bed wood....photobucket is loading SLOWLY the pictures I took.

Ok thanks, that will help me out a lot!

Are you using the bulk uploader? It works much faster than the other way.

Are you using the bulk uploader? It works much faster than the other way.

off my phone...super slow this AM. they are in my post below.

Edited by ggdad1951

Thanks for all the pictures, it helps to keep me from looking at things and trying to get it all right with out knowing. I thought I took a lot of pictures, but I still didn't take enough, probably in too much of a hurry. I have the wipers in, the firewall pad and insulation, the steering column, starter pedal, and parking brake handle in. Its getting there. The firewall pad and insulation was more of a project than I thought it would be. I still don't have all the clips in yet. This weekend I hope to get everything ran through the firewall and get my fuel line ran so I can get going on painting the front clip and doors.

post-7184-1358537002508_thumb.jpg

I've got a few extra holes. So they need to be 'plugged' if I want the engine aroma to stay out! The inside insulation will not be sufficient? Good to know.

post-23-13585370064802_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Thanks for all the photos, they helped a lot! Yesterday I finally ran my fuel line and I put the parking brake cable in. Now I'm going to start running the wiring so I can just get in and go without hot wiring it to the battery when I need to move it. Before I put it away yesterday, I did sneak a few cruises down the driveway before me and my buddy took his restored 14' lyman out on lake erie for the night. It was a pretty good day. Now I'm thinking about driving it down the road to a family party this evening, its about 1/2 mile away but I don't think the law would like it if they saw me, so it will probably rest in the garage.

Thanks for all the photos, they helped a lot! Yesterday I finally ran my fuel line and I put the parking brake cable in. Now I'm going to start running the wiring so I can just get in and go without hot wiring it to the battery when I need to move it. Before I put it away yesterday, I did sneak a few cruises down the driveway before me and my buddy took his restored 14' lyman out on lake erie for the night. It was a pretty good day. Now I'm thinking about driving it down the road to a family party this evening, its about 1/2 mile away but I don't think the law would like it if they saw me, so it will probably rest in the garage.

bah! go for it!

Closing off the firewall does more than divert the aroma. Engine failure can occur sending hot water, oil, gas, smoke and fire right into the driver's face hands and feet. Pulling over safely goes out the window when you can't see, breathe or keep your hands and feet on the controls.

48D

48': Thus the term "FIREWALL"! Makes sense, got some holes to attend to. Can one find hole plugging 'grommets'? Its too late for me to weld them shut.

Your local Hardware Store (mine's ACE) should have a bunch of items some plastic some metal (like the one in the floor over the gas tank but smaller). I wouldn't be welding anything even if my truck was down to bare metal.

I'd be surprised if this part of the project costs more than 5 bucks.

Hank :)

heh, now that I look at your phote of your firewall, makes me think of what mine looked like over by the heater box area...multiple holes punched thru for various trys and refits of heater boxes....

This was my step by step. I am going to make a plate to cover that 'square' once I decide on a heater. I have one and the fan works, haven't tried the radiator but it looks ok. Been thinking of putting in two heaters, one for the defrost (original location) and the second behind the steering post. Winter work.

Edit: Can't afford that fancy one, so will put into service the one I have. It's nice an compact, would like to find a mate for it.

post-23-13585370101986_thumb.jpg

post-23-1358537010229_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585370102558_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585370112208_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585370112491_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

This was my step by step. I am going to make a plate to cover that 'square' once I decide on a heater. I have one and the fan works, haven't tried the radiator but it looks ok. Been thinking of putting in two heaters, one for the defrost (original location) and the second behind the steering post. Winter work.

I got a completly restored Mopar Model 65 I'll let you have for a good price.

How much, 20 bushels of corn at '52 prices? :D

What does that heater look like? Mine is a square box with little doors and one port to the defrost ducts.

Edited by pflaming

How much, 20 bushels of corn at '52 prices? :D

What does that heater look like? Mine is a square box with little doors and one port to the defrost ducts.

yep the Mopar Truck Master Models...

here is a picture. Completely stripped down, blasted, primed and color matched to stock colors. Motor rewired with new wires, tested and works great. All new grommets and motor cork gasket. Core tested and repainted. I've got $150 into it w/o counting my time for the restoration...let me know if you are interested. I'd LIKE to get $50 for my hours of work, so $200 total.

2012-08-06203351.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been getting more done on the truck, and its starting to look like a truck now too. I got the front panel painted and put back on, I've started the wiring, and I painted the seat frame today along with the inside of the fenders. The fenders will be finished today. I really have the hang of this paint finally too. I also had my glass made, which was more than I had planned....the best price anyone could do around here was $500 for all the glass....I'm not too happy about it, but its done. Here are some pictures, one is of the hood ordinate I got very cheap on ebay, not a single flaw in it. I've been trying to get as much as I can done before fall semester starts up tomorrow!

post-7184-13585370362449_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370363234_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370363951_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370364752_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370365729_thumb.jpg

Here are the finished fenders, they came out pretty good. I am happy with the quality and fit of the fiberglass, all you need to do is carefully measure and drill all the mounting holes, prime and paint. They line up and fit very well.

post-7184-13585370372795_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370373677_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585370374504_thumb.jpg

man you work fast, Wish I could keep up that pace, but its been a pretty consistant 3 digit temp lately and I have to keep it slow.

Its nicely been in the upper 70s to low 80s this week with nothing but clear sunny skies...perfect weather for this stuff!

• 2 months later...

Well I've got a couple more things on the truck done, I have the front and rear glass in, the windshield molding and center bar, and a few other thinks I can't remember. I used Steele rubber for everything.

I do have a question though, and I did try to search it with no luck probably the wrong search words.

The rear wiring harness for the tail lights, sending unit, etc, how does it route into the engine compartment? My truck was pretty hacked up when I got it, and the wiring was all messed with. Does it run in between the floor boards and the rear engine mounts, or under the engine mount up by the master cylinder/steering column? My guess is under, and does it go to any looms on the inner fender first or what? I'm lost on this one. A picture could help.

Heres a few pictures, and one of my new toy for when the truck is done!

Thanks

-Joe

post-7184-13585371753927_thumb.jpg

post-7184-1358537175479_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585371755679_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585371756355_thumb.jpg

The wires came out of a common 'hole' and then start branching out along the firewall. I took what seemed to be the cleanest route from there, down towards the MC then followed the frame back. Mine had these little "m" clips and I used those again. The attached picture may be more helpful. I'm not sure whose it is: Merles or Greybeards maybe.

post-23-13585371756824_thumb.jpg