some progress...

52b3b Joe

good memory Joe, my 8 front are 5/16x 24x 1", 4 of the pockets are 3/8 x24x 1" and the 4 for the hinge holes are 3/8x 24x 1-1/4" . the 8 lower panel to brace are as Dave described 3/8 x1"

post-6005-0-29034800-1422589530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent B3B

Tail light I believe are held on with separate bolts into the front of the rear stake pocket. Should be two open holes. Head board to sides should be 1" long, 5/16? FEF is snoozing in storage or I could give you all your answers.

good memory Joe, my 8 front are 5/16x 24x 1", 4 of the pockets are 3/8 x24x 1" and the 4 for the hinge holes are 3/8x 24x 1-1/4" . the 8 lower panel to brace are as Dave described 3/8 x1"

attachicon.gifbed bolts.jpg

I noticed in you picture that there are still two bolts in you stake pocket. Are those for something too, or were they added? 

I noticed in you picture that there are still two bolts in you stake pocket. Are those for something too, or were they added? 

Joe, those appear to be the two upper bolts holding in the "L" bracket. Look close, there's still one in there. It appears that he has 2 left side "L" brackets in that picture. One in a side panel and one attached to the cross valance.

Joe, those appear to be the two upper bolts holding in the "L" bracket. Look close, there's still one in there. It appears that he has 2 left side "L" brackets in that picture. One in a side panel and one attached to the cross valance.

Exactly, I was trying to give a visual reference point.

Guess I could have explained it better :^)

I should have looked closer! Too early, and I was trying to sneak in the forum at work! Don't let the boss know...

Exactly, I was trying to give a visual reference point.

Guess I could have explained it better :^)

No, you did perfect. I really appreciate the picture that helps a lot. 

• 2 months later...

I have a pretty big update, at least in my book! I finally have the bed back from the body shop. Long story short, they were not going to get it done in time for my buddy's wedding on May 2nd, so I paid him for what he did, and I brought it home last weekend. He did get a lot done, but it still wasn't exactly where I wanted it. For the past week in all my free time (mainly late at night), I have been finishing the body work. All the body work is done now, I cut in the panels yesterday, and I assembled the bed (which is very exciting for me). Last night I hit a final coat of high build primer, and this upcoming week I am going to wet sand it. I leave next Sunday for work, so I might not have enough time to paint for two weeks. Once I paint it, it will go on the truck so I can fit the fenders and running boards. Then some minor details and the truck will finally be mainly done! Here are some pictures! 

The bed sure went together a lot easier than it came apart! 

The light is getting brighter in the tunnel! 

post-3516-0-04620100-1428248062_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-32842400-1428248104_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-24458400-1428248124_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-14010500-1428248139_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-67624600-1428248181_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-03287400-1428248193_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Or a semi...or better yet, the next project!

There are two more projects already behind it! The 48 Desoto that is partially done now (my Dad and me in collaboration), and the newest project I bought, a 65 Corvair two door hardtop.

Edited by 52b3b Joe

No COE?

Not yet...

I plan on taking my truck there when I get the box on for a test drive. Maybe he will be in the mood to sell it?

• Like 1

Well, here goes nothing. T-minus 1 hour until blue paint destroys my garage! Photos of the results will follow....good or bad....

post-3516-0-61874900-1428703774_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, here goes nothing. T-minus 1 hour until blue paint destroys my garage! Photos of the results will follow....good or bad....

good luck! fingers crossed :D

Everything went very well. I'm pretty happy with it and I can't wait to see it tomorrow in the daylight!

Tim, I did exactly like you said. A guy at my work owns a body shop and he gave me a lot of pointers since I last painted on the truck. I have also watched him spray a few times now which really helped. It isn't perfect but a huge improvement over before! I'm pretty darn happy!!!

post-3516-0-10665300-1428711338_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-04292000-1428711348_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-41177600-1428711367_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Turned out real nice..like you can't wait to see it in the daylight. What kind of paint did you use and how many coats do you intend to apply ?

Hank  :)

I have been using PPG DDC Concept, a single stage acrylic urethan. I put 4 good coats on it.

When you paint with Single Stage (SS) and you have more experience with Base coat/Clear coat (B/C)....the thinking is to spray SS as you would the Clear coat. It will cut and buff the same too. Traditionally, SS is thought to be harder to apply then B/C. Since you can stop in stages with B/C it is considered easier for the novice. However, classic paint jobs like our trucks were SS and have a different look then the B/C. The cost can be less for SS as well which is a serious consideration for anyone...lol.  

4 coats will give you plenty thickness for cuttin' and buffin'......good job my friend!

48D

I have a quick question on the running boards. Do they tuck under the bed sides or do they just go to the sides? I think I may need to shim the front of the bed higher so the boards slide under but I wa to make sure. I also assume the running boards and fenders are flush with each other. I have fiberglass fenders and boards so I have to fit them.

post-3516-0-61488800-1428852208_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-25821200-1428852222_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe

The bed does take a rubberized cloth square pad between the truck frame and the bed frame members. A good choice for a homemade use what you got solution would be square pads 2x2 or 1-1/2"sq maybe with a half inch hole in the middle. I do have the short side bed so I may not know what I'm talking about for the tallo box.

Hank  :)

• Like 1