some progress...

52b3b Joe

some pics of mine, the taillight wiress tuck down under the cab along the frame rail. there should be clips along the frame by the rear brake lines

2012-08-03084347.jpg

2012-08-03084336.jpg

That's exactly what I needed to see. Thanks for taking the time to take the picture and post it! I really appreciate it!

no problem, its what this place is for! :)

Here is a few progress pictures, getting most of the inside of the cab completed, and I have the front fenders on for good now (hopefully). Now I am going to start finishing the doors and the hood. I also FINALLY brought the bed home last weekend. I will also get the wiring finished soon I hope.

And I know there has been talk about the divider mounted mirror vs the cab mounted ones. What is the difference? Mine has a divider mounted on and no holes in the cab for the other style. Mine was missing the center divider bar when I bought it and the parts truck I use had a divider mounted one so I pulled it and put it in mine. Is there a right or wrong?

post-7184-13585371918701_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585371919542_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585371920243_thumb.jpg

post-7184-1358537192097_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585371921818_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b218

The main difference is did you have a factory depression for a square nut to hold the mirror or did somene just drill a hole in the divider bar and modify it.

There's a "more flat" area and there is an insert hex backed nut thats part of the divider. I looked factory to me, but I've never seen another one to compare to that's why I asked. Doesn't have a square nut, so maybe its not factory.

Here are a couple pictures of the factory DT-I guess USA only ( both mine are stamped for the mirror nut and stem) a optional mirror division bar as taken off one of my 1951 parts truck. US truck mirror heads are just like a P-15 Rear view mirror head, painted not chrome as our higher line chrysler cars use. There is a long thread on this DT inside mirror info. Expo trucks must be a different design..:)

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Here are a couple pictures of the factory DT-I guess USA only optional mirror division bar as taken off one of my 1951 parts truck. US truck mirror heads are just like a P-15 Rear view mirror head, painted not chrome as our higher line chrysler cars use. There already is a long thread on this DT inside mirror issue.

Bob

Thanks for the info. Mine is a fake! It will still serve its purpose I guess. Someone did a nice job making it though, centered nicely and they put an insert in with a hex backing.

Your truck is coming along real nice Joe. Love that blue (I'm just biased)!

I have attached a couple of photos of my mirror and original centre bar for you. I'm pretty sure that ours here in Oz were similar to yours over there.

Desotodav

Thanks! It will not be as nice as your truck, but hopefully a nice driver! I'm still learning a lot so the next project will have room for improvement as I will too. Who knows, I may be going through the truck again in 10-20 years and it will turn out better than this time. I restored my first Corvair 9 years ago already and it looks like it needs attention again. I drove it as my everyday for a year in snow and salt which turned into a few bubbles in the paint. The original interior is showing significant wear now too. I've put around 15,000 miles on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I put the truck next to the new desoto in the attached garage and made room to finish the doors and hood in the back garage. Things will pick up soon with the truck after next week when this semester of school is over, just have one more day of classes tomorrow and exams are next week, then TRUCK TIME! Its been long over due. I did start working on one of the doors though, just a start. Not much progress, but its a start to achieve more with an empty garage....

post-7184-13585372318296_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585372318488_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585372318733_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its been a little while since I updated...

I have the passenger door done and on the truck. I have 90% of the wiring done. The headlight buckets are done and installed with new bulbs. I finished the wood boards for the bed floor. For that I have ash with a walnut stain with 3 good coats of spar marine varnish over it. They came out good, you can see your reflection in them. I also spent a few nights restoring the steering wheel. I have almost all the parts to finish the truck now. So now its time to keep plugging away at the body work (hood, drivers door, and bed) and get this thing DONE so I can start the next project! I'll try to update this thread more often.

I am still learning as I go...today I realized I should have put in the front end filler panel/splash shield that goes on the front panel by the bottom of the radiator in prior to now. It looks like I need to take the radiator out again to install that. I am also battling getting the thermostat housing to seal. You win some and you lose some....

post-7184-13585373093609_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585373094546_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585373095534_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585373096382_thumb.jpg

post-7184-1358537309715_thumb.jpg

Its been a little while since I updated...

I have the passenger door done and on the truck. I have 90% of the wiring done. The headlight buckets are done and installed with new bulbs. I finished the wood boards for the bed floor. For that I have ash with a walnut stain with 3 good coats of spar marine varnish over it. They came out good, you can see your reflection in them. I also spent a few nights restoring the steering wheel. I have almost all the parts to finish the truck now. So now its time to keep plugging away at the body work (hood, drivers door, and bed) and get this thing DONE so I can start the next project! I'll try to update this thread more often.

I am still learning as I go...today I realized I should have put in the front end filler panel/splash shield that goes on the front panel by the bottom of the radiator in prior to now. It looks like I need to take the radiator out again to install that. I am also battling getting the thermostat housing to seal. You win some and you lose some....

looking good! A little high temp RTV sealed mine right down!

Ok, so my gas gauge has been my on going problem with the truck. It seems like its all or nothing, either full or empty. I cannot get it to work when in the truck, only on the bench and even then it will only read full or not. I have a brand new sending unit which when on the ohm meter works as should. The wiring on the truck is good and I added an extra ground directly to the sending unit. The sending unit is getting 4.2V and the battery is at 6.2V, which isn't making sense to me. When I run it on the bench (with the old and new sending unit) with direct six volts, the gauge will act the same except it will sometimes drop to 3/4 before it hits 0. What do you guys think? I'm thinking I need to get a new gauge.

Well, I have a little more done. I finished the exhaust, the air cleaner is on (finally), I got the gas gauge working, and I restored the front stainless DODGE script to my best ability. I am running a stock exhaust with a turbo muffler. It sounds nice and just has a little sound at idle. I also have the horn ring on now. Here are a few pictures of the script.

The first two pictures are of the new studs for mounting. I used stainless 1/4" screws and used a couple small tacks. Then the next two are before and after buffing. It isn't perfect but it is better than where it started with two missing studs and two holes in the piece where the studs were. I painted the red in tonight and put it on as seen in the last picture (poor quality picture) I'm happy with it though. 

post-3516-0-59802800-1358904966_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-34481300-1358905019_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-54827000-1358905216_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-71650900-1358905276_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-56662100-1358905641_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b218

Boy-that brings back some memories.  I think I used silver solder on the studs on mine.  That sure buffed up nice and the red really offsets the color of your truck.  Nice job!

Here's, the (almost) finished exhaust. I still have a leak near the engine that I need to seal up. I still haven't got the engine running as good as I'd like, but that will be done when I finish the body. Its also pretty cold outside here which didn't help. I will be taking the bed sides to a local place to have them acid dipped hopefully within a week. I have all of the wiring done expect for the parking light buckets and the panel light switch. I started putting the floor boards in and I have the pedals in and hooked up all the way. I learned today that I need to adjust the shift linkage better. I also need a stiffer throttle return spring. 

• Like 1