some progress...

52b3b Joe

Well...heres what I've been up to. Its a good feeling to have it sitting on its own feet again! I finished up the brakes and set the shoes, put the outer rear axle seals in and greased the outer bearings, rebuilt the master cylinder, finished the steering box put the column together, finished the king pins, put the steering together (drag link courtesy Dave Erb (grey beard)) and got the bell housing ready for paint. I think thats everything? I took the engine to have it rebuilt a couple weeks ago and I stopped in on Friday to see how it was going. It was in a pretty sad state. It needed everything you could think of. The owner of the shop then walked me down stairs and pointed out an already rebuilt 230 sitting under a shelf. Long story short, I ended up buying the 230 (the engine that I bought my truck with was already non-original to my truck otherwise I would have rebuilt it) with a warranty for half the cost of the rebuild he quoted me for the engine I walked in with. Now I need to get going on the body work and figure out what to do for the wiring harness. It’s getting there though...hopefully on the road this summer/fall!

p.s. the garage is a little messy

post-7184-13585359534101_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359534774_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359535441_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359536219_thumb.jpg

post-7184-1358535953701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great good deal on the engine too. Doing your own wiring is easy. I haven't done a pilot house but I did my p15 just using the originals as a pattern and you guys have a nice chart floating around somewhere. You can buy the OEM looking wire or just go plastic. Build it to 6v spec and then its good for 6 or 12. Oh and a messy garage is good means its being used!

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the engine today and dropped it in. It looks good! I can't wait to run it, I need to get a water pump, fuel pump, finish the distributer, fix/buy the heat riser spring, finish the oil fill tube and the breather cap, paint the trans, and I sent the clutch and fly wheel out to have rebuilt/resurfaced, and I'm thinking of having the generator rebuilt. I also made a temporary exhaust pipe to run it while I'm working on it. The engine is a 230ci chysler industrial.

post-7184-13585359806443_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359807239_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359834288_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585359835047_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you are doing a fine job. I remember that same feeling of excitement trying to breathe life back into my old truck. Maybe it won't be long before you'll be looking over a blue guard like me!

Desotodav

51 and 55 Desoto 108's

53 Dodge 108b coupe truck

56 Dodge 108 van

post-7583-13585359841436_thumb.jpg

is that an engine tag you have in picture #4 under the loom? If so....SOOOO jealous...no tag left onmine (if it ever had one).

No tags from the factory except for replacement blocks. Possibly on his industrial engine. Usually added by rebuilders.

good....I was wondering about that...on my block is an obvious drive screw with a small piece of metal remaining, thought maybe from a data plate.

No, your right, that is the engine ID tag. Ill try and get a picture of it tonight. It says Chrysler Industrial and has the serial #, Chrysler part # and Model #. There is also a re-builder tag behind the starter stating a .030 overbore, and the mains and rods are .010 under. Where is the engine tag supposed to be located on the block? Whats the difference between a 230 car engine and a 230 industrial internally? Is the cam different, is it lower compression? Thanks.

Heres a couple pictures of the tag.

I debate about having some made up. With some dimensions and clearer pictures the guy in Poland who made my geni and starter tags could make these EASY I'd bet.

thoughts?

I debate about having some made up. With some dimensions and clearer pictures the guy in Poland who made my geni and starter tags could make these EASY I'd bet.

thoughts?

I'll try and get a better camera to take pictures with and I'll try and get the info you need when I get a little time this weekend.

sample of the Poland guy's work:

Looks almost perfect. I see an extra dot on the bottom line in font of CO

but other than that, it's really good

Are the letters raised and do you have the correct size letter and number stamps to finish them?

no, I think he direct prints these out, so the letters and such aren't embossed, but compared to the original, I am not going to complain, nor am I worried about the flaw by "CO"....

I'm taking all my tags to an engraver and hopefully they will have the stamp sets, mine set the letters/numbers are too big.

I'll try and get a better camera to take pictures with and I'll try and get the info you need when I get a little time this weekend.

anything to share?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've finally got everything done thats need to be done to run it, and I can't get it to start. I've tried for two weekends now, and I can't get it to run. It has good spark (new points, plugs and wires), the carb is working good and a new fuel pump. The engine is firing, and it tries to run but it will never take off and keep running on its own. Once you let go of the starter it will die. The engine doesn't turn over very fast, do you think I should put a 12 volt battery up to it and see if it will go or is that not a great idea? What do you guys think?

I will put photos of the tags up tonight.

Edited by 52b3b218

I've adjusted the idle and that had no effect, and I have the timing set by the book, but I will try to advance it a little. I will try it tomorrow if the weather is good. I tried a little starting fluid (which I didn't want to use) and it didn't seem to make a big difference.

You may want to pull the plugs and pump a few shots of oil down each cyl. After repeated failed attempts at starting, the fuel mix will tend to wash the oil seal off the rings and drop compression to where it doesn't want to start.

I got it to run!!!!!! It sounds great!!!!! It ended up being the major adjustment for the distributor...the adjustment on the back. I don't know how that could have got messed up but it did. I can't wait to drive it once I finish the brakes!!!!

Heres a video of it from my cell phone, so its not a good quality video.

Edited by 52b3b218