Vintage picture thread

coW52Dodge

• 2 weeks later...

That boy is holding a double barrel shot gun! And he looks like he knows how to shoot it. Don corrects this in the following post. Still a great picture.

Edited by pflaming

Great photo.

I would be interetsed in a POLL that asked everyone that has a dodge pick up "Do you own a gun".

I am guessing it would be somewhere near 100% in USA. :o

But maybe I have I have a corrupted view of you gun toting cowboys :D

Of course, here in down town Australia, it would be closer to 0%. :rolleyes:

Not judging of course, just saying. :P

• Like 2

Geekay;

There is at least one of us that doesn't have any guns. But I am more than a fair shot with a wrist rocket. And they don't make any noise. ;)

Jeff

Heh?  What's a "wrist rocket"???

I think a wrist rockey was formerly caled a sling shot. Find a good "Y" branch, cut a couple strips of rubber from an inner tube, make a leather sock, assemble, then look for nice round stones.

Jeff Balazs, on 12 Feb 2015 - 6:33 PM, said:

Geekay;

There is at least one of us that doesn't have any guns. But I am more than a fair shot with a wrist rocket. And they don't make any noise. ;)

Jeff

I suppose you know Rufus Hussey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

• Like 1

Great photo.

I would be interetsed in a POLL that asked everyone that has a dodge pick up "Do you own a gun".

I am guessing it would be somewhere near 100% in USA. :o

But maybe I have I have a corrupted view of you gun toting cowboys :D

Of course, here in down town Australia, it would be closer to 0%. :rolleyes:

Not judging of course, just saying. :P

Of course not,,,cause then we gun toters would have to form up an Aussie Posse..lol

Geekay;

A real wrist rocket is a weapon made with a metal tube frame and uses surgical tubing for the oomph. Ammo is 30 cal ball bearings and yes they can be deadly out to about 30 to 40 yards. I've dropped many a rabbit with one and bigger game is possible. Once you have some confidence in your skills they are far more fun than a gun. And because they are silent you often get a second shot while your prey is trying to figure out what just whistled past it's head

Have wrist rocket.....will travel.

Jeff

Don;

No just a Richard Boone fan. :) Gotta love some of that vintage of TV production. Caught an episode of Ben Gazzara in "Run for your life" the other day. I had forgotten the opening and closing scenes for that shows. View from a streamliner blasting across the Bonneville Salt flats. Very...very cool vintage footage Seeing it reminded me of a Scout trip back in the 60s where we went wind sailing on one of the dry lake beds out in the Mojave. There is nothing like traveling at speed a few inches above the ground  The only sound was a sail flapping and us screaming at the top of our lungs.

Americana at it's best..

Jeff

• Like 2

Geekay;

A real wrist rocket is a weapon made with a metal tube frame and uses surgical tubing for the oomph. Ammo is 30 cal ball bearings and yes they can be deadly out to about 30 to 40 yards. I've dropped many a rabbit with one and bigger game is possible. Once you have some confidence in your skills they are far more fun than a gun. And because they are silent you often get a second shot while your prey is trying to figure out what just whistled past it's head

Have wrist rocket.....will travel.

Jeff

Now I am interested as we go hunting rabbits with our ferrets.

I gather your sling shot is the serious users slingshot, what we call a shanghai.

I have seen them in hunting stores, with a wrist brace etc.  Might be just the bees knees to pop off some of the bunnies around here where a gun is not welcome.

Had thought of a slug gun as low noise but still need a gun licence to buy one.  Getting a gun licence here is about as easy as getting to the moon.

A slingshot, or shaghai as we call them, I get.....

Yep......that be the thing. And a wicked thing it is. Some even have a dispenser in the hand grip for the ammo. At 10 to 50 or so yards with ball shot they are quite lethal. If you hit a rabbit on the run you will be amazed at how far it will throw them off course.

You do need a fair amount of practice to become proficient. Make yourself a practice target out of a small heavy card board box with some foam and a piece of heavy plywood as a stop inside. That way you can collect and recycle some of your ammo. 20 yards is a good distance to work on getting off snap shots. When you can start grouping them in a 5" circle you are ready to go hunting for wabbits. I would think a 3/8" to 1/2" ball bearing would drop a 'Roo if you were so inclined. I would however stay away from Croc's as you might just make them angry. ;)

Jeff