Brake Issues

TimStatelman

On my 47 plymouth im having three major brake problems...

1) is when i step on the brakes the first time the pedal goes down pretty far but if i pump it once right after it stays further up...

2) i have pulsation in my brakes which im guess its a warped drum

3) when i apply the brakes it pulls to the right...

hope someone can help me

Thanks,

Tim

1) is when i step on the brakes the first time the pedal goes down pretty far but if i pump it once right after it stays further up...

Tim

The way you describe the problem above is a classic example of having air in the lines. I think you need to bleed your brakes again.

When you have the wheel off the ground and spin the wheel do you hear any dragging of the shoe against the drum. You should have a little drag. You might have to readjust you brakes. Refer to the tech section regarding the ammco brake tool and the adjustments of brakes.

I did the presentation at the AACA convention in Philadelphia. I have the AAMCO brake grage but require a deposti onthe tool when I loan the tool.

If you are interested then contact me.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

valley Forge PA

Guest P15-D24

2) i have pulsation in my brakes which im guess its a warped drum

3) when i apply the brakes it pulls to the right...

hope someone can help me

Thanks,

Tim

1) Air in the system, needs to be bled.

2) Drum needs to be turned (You will not be able to get the shoes adjusted correct if the drums needs to be turned)

3) Assuming no fluid leaks or contamination on the shoes, you ned to do a full brake shoe adjustment.

Thank you everyone....I my shoe is contaminated or have a bad drum is there any placce where i can get a replacement?

Take the shoes, to a brake shop for re-lining or contact Kanters, NAPA to see about replacements.

Have your drum measured/inspected and machined if possible in a brake shop. If they are 10 inch drums, they can be machined out .030 for a total increase to 10.060. Good luck, if the drum is toast, you should be able to locate 1 on here perhaps someone has an extra, is it a front or rear drum.....

As far a brake shoe contamination is concerned- if the contamination is recent then you could take lacquer thinner or carb cleaner and spray the shoe and wipe it off then heat it with a torch some - not to on fire but where the fluid still in or on the shoe will smoke and be evaporated. I have done this several time with on ill effects. Also find a place that re lines turk and bus brakes. they can usually reline the shoes for you at about 10 bucks a shoe- either glued or riveted.

Also remember to tell the guy regular or over sized(thicker) shoe- I always get regular because there is plenty of adjustment in Plymouth's.

As to the drum that same shop can probably turn the drum.

Lou