PART NUMBER Look-Up Thread.

Roadkingcoupe

Part Number Look-Up Thread

Received a request today from 49 Dodge Dude for a part number "look-up" for his 1949 Dodge. As an enthusiast I am happy to provide part number research. Instead of providing info through PM it would be beneficial to share the info with the forum. My parts books cover most years (1929-1961) but outside of 1937-1948 PDCD I am sure other forum members know more then me and have even more info to contribute. So, this is how I would hope to see this thread work.

Post your vehicle with Make, Model, Year and the exact part you request for info and part #. As time allows I will respond with info and hopefully include a page right out of the original parts books (when necessary). I invite other forum member with "accurate" info to answer parts request as well (probably difficult for one person but I will try). Will do my best to keep up with individual requests however this is NOT to become a part number look-up page for eBay vendors.

If anyone finds the parts book hard to read please feel free to ask for clarification or instructions how to read the parts book page.

Due to many minor variations in year make and model including different geographical manufacturing plants part #'s can vary. Please keep this in mind and also that one part can have many #'s including superseded #'s (which is quite common).

Request #1

"I know you've looked up part #'s for members before, and I wonder if you could help me out with something: I have a '49 Coronet that came with the horn guts missing. I have the horn ring & button, but the assembly to activate the horn isn't there. Could you tell me what the part #'s are so I'll know what to look for & order?

Thanks for any help!"

For a larger picture "click" on the enlarged thumbnail and then use "control Ctrl" and + for further enlarging.

post-165-13585359162637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

I've been doing the same type of thing, with a few of differences:

1) I stop at 1948. Mostly because I don't have parts books for anything newer.

2) I'm only covering Plymouth. Mostly because I don't have parts books for other Chrysler products.

3) I've put the results of my lookups on my web site: http://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric

By the way, I am open to giving others login in and editing privileges on that database...

Roadkingcoupe;

Very noble gesture on your part. Thanks. I would hope that you are not swamped with questions from folks who also own parts manuals but for what ever reason do not use them.

Also in case you or others are not aware forum member Chet has created a searchable parts manual on line covering the Plymouth years 1936 to 1948 at the following link. To access these documents the password is "password". Once again thanks to Chet for creating these documents on line.

http://chetscoins.com/1948p15/DocumentWeb/

• Like 1

I've been doing the same type of thing, with a few of differences:

1) I stop at 1948. Mostly because I don't have parts books for anything newer.

2) I'm only covering Plymouth. Mostly because I don't have parts books for other Chrysler products.

3) I've put the results of my lookups on my web site: http://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric

By the way, I am open to giving others login in and editing privileges on that database...

Hi Tod Fitch,

I am aware of your positive contribution on your website. Please feel free to suggest anyway to improve the idea and I need as much help as possible to make this work. Will take a closer look at your website and I will try to figure a way to equally contribute. A "wikipedia" of parts #'s that allows individuals to contribute and edit would be ideal (but I am not computer literate enough to put that together).

Thanks again for the info you have been providing for years. Happy motoring.....

roadkingcoupe

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

What I've done is go thru the Parts Manual and take pictures of the

exploded view pictures, then put them in a section of my PhotoBucket

album. The part numbers do not appear with those items, but are

listed in the book if needed. I think it's sometimes helpful to see

what the item you're dealing with looks like.

For example, here is a horn setup of a 46-48 Plymouth P15 Spec

Dlx. Maybe it's similar to the Dodge one of the inquiry. They used

this system for several years. (or maybe it's not the same)

Anyway, here's a pic to see if it helps.

100_1156.jpg

Here is the P15 Dlx setup......it has no horn ring, just the center

button.

100_1155.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea/thread. I have a Plymouth 1936-1942 master parts list book & will help out whenever possible, though, I'm not on as often as some of the regulars.

I see there is on ebay currently a reprint of the Dodge shop manual, by

Irv Bishko, with a buy it now of $32.50, a decent price.

Link to the ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-1950-1951-1952-DODGE-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-/230480076051?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item35a9aedd13

It also can be had on a CD for $25.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-1949-1952-Car-Shop-Manual-CD-49-52-/290463199209?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item43a0f4afe9

!BuMMgIgBWk~$(KGrHqUOKm4EvyFnjv)2BL+URmwjRg~~_12.JPG

DSM49C.jpg

There was also a Parts Manual = a bit higher price from this seller....

$58.99. I would watch for a period of time to see if one appeared

at less cost. Then again, this may be a going price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-Dodge-D29-D30-Factory-Parts-Manual-/370133361152?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item562daae200

!B)y)TBQB2k~$(KGrHqF,!g8Ew5G0+mC,BMO+TzEM-w~~_35.JPG

Great thread. I'm quite sure it will be of great help to folks like me who don't have a parts book.

Follow the link given by Don Coatney and use the password he helpfully provided and you will have your own copy of the 1936-48 parts book for a very reasonable price (free if you don't print it or the cost of paper and printer ink if you do).

Chet has provided a wonderful service by scanning the entire book. And Don has provided a great reminder that it is there.

• 1 month later...

More identification later today.

1065511 - 1946 -1948 Dodge D24 Right side front fender

1065339 possibly 889

1494304 - 1953 Dodge D43 D48 D49 D53 Left side Front

Not sure of the following fender numbers:

the last two #'s look like they are missing a digit on the end?

the unidentified ones might be truck?

Please give a little more info....side? shape? front? back? etc. to make the I.D. easier. Thanks

I am trying to ID these fender part numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1065339 possibly 1065889

Not sure of the following fender numbers:

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

• 2 weeks later...

Fw: Part #796814

"I have found a latch with a broken button.My orig one has a broken latch and a good knob.I don't know if exchangeable.

Thanks Jim C

Part # 796814 is the Glove Box Door Latch (Button type, non locking) for 1939 DeSoto S6 ONLY

Looks to be different then the one on a 1939 Plymouth which is part # 796623

roadkingcoupe

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

• 2 years later...

I am going to stick my neck out on this topic. If you are going to own an antique car or truck one of the first things that you should get for your car or truck is the appropriate parts manual for your car.  Most of these are being reproduced at some very resonable costs.  The second reference should be the appropriate service or repair manual for your car. 

These are some of the most important piece fo literature that you will need.  These are being lsited on EBAy quite regularyary.  I have been in this hobby for over 25+ years and when going to swap meets and I know that some members are not close to swap meet because of where they live I alway look for literature and cross reference catalogs.  I have scanned these into PDF formated CD's and the cost of the various CD is very reasonable, especially when you think about the time I spend going to and from a swap meet and the time to buy them and then scan them.

I do not mind looking up part numbers for the members but the services that are being provided by the members that have the information should not be taken for granted.  If you want to play inthe game of restoing an antique car or truck that you also have to do some of the leg work on your own.  SOmetimes the parts cross over to multiple years on some items so the x-ref is also important. But take some of the responsibility of at least trying to get the appropriate books for your own library.

The Cds that I have will help everyone but there also only so much that certain people can do and then you get tired of asking and answere questions on parts.

Before the internet you had to do your own leg work or beoing a member of a local club and then may you would get the info via another member and now we have forums like this one whihc is great.  But take the time to learn and get the appropriate manauls.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 6

Maybe if the folks who don't want to buy the manuals were to donate a certain $ figure to the forum. The adm. folks might be able to purchase the cd's. Put a link on the sight and charge a small fee to use it. Might bring in some $ for the forum. First thing I bought were the proper manuals.

• Like 1

I thought this group is about helping folks and sharing info about these old MOPARs. If I can help any of you with what I've learned its free (granted I'm still new but I'm learning a lot about a D11). To those that feel I need a lecture on importance of manuals, I know! I want this part number now and if it puts you out too much to look it up and help or you need a dollar then please don't bother, if you can help me I would appreciate it.

post-5430-0-50664400-1391533108_thumb.jpg

I am not stating that I would not help anyone. What I am stating is that there are manuals that you should have for your car as the basic information that you will need to keep your car running.

It not like you can go down to the local garage and ask them to just fix the car and expect them to know what parts you need and to get them for you.

I was taught this by my fater in-law that has had several Model A's.  You need the manuals to know what you are doing and for some assistance.

If you can go out a spend the money for the car then spend some money to pick up a parts manual at the same time. 

For you answer to the Headlight switch do a search on Ebay for 1939 Dodge Headlight switch and you will find several.  The next question that you will ask is how do i take the knob off the shaft.  Look under the knob there is a slot that has a spring flat blade. Insert a small flat jewelers screwdriver and push the spring clip forward. This then removes the tension on the spring and the rod. WHile doing this pull the knob off the shaft.

Then remove the chrome nut that holds the switch onto the dash. Pull out the switch and then transfer the appropriate wires to the corresponding connections on the new switch.

Also you will find out that the 39 Dodge/ Chrylser and Desoto share alot of the same components.  I know this becasue I have been collecting these parts over the past 25 years so I am very knowledgeable on the 39's

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

I agree with the above...you should have the books to support the ongoing maintenance that comes with ownership.  I have pushed this from the very get go.  I have books on about every car I own and that is quite a library.  In this day and age we have so many that think they are entitled to everything the other man has worked hard to obtain.  There  is at this very minute a post from GTK, the forum owner, that does show how to do a search on Google that is a direct link to the P15/D24 forum and will fill the gap that is still not quite working right with the forum search.  Ownership and repairs, obtaining parts means you should be proactive to some degree.  Asking for help is being proactive...answers showing alternative means, sites, and methods to get this info is very much a direct answer to your question. 

http://p15-d24.com/topic/35331-using-google-to-search-the-site/#entry358996

• Like 1

I've taken my dash completely apart to rewire it. What I found is that I don't have a stock headlight switch and it doesn't work properly (probably the reason why I needed a relay That's another thread).

First thing I did was search Ebay but none of the switches that come up look like mine, (again it's not stock) and the ones listing  that if works for a 39 dodge will have a part number that  another will have that same part number and say it's for a 40 or newer. 

I also looked at parts suppliers and found that http://www.atlaschrys.com/Early/Electrical/EarlyHeadlightSwitches.html which makes the 39 seems to be the rare switch for only dodge and Desoto but the number it listed 838-142 did not come up in any Ebay searches. So looking for a little help. 

Many of those switches can be dismantled, cleaned and put back in functioning order. There is also the possibility of the switch being the same for a number of years and the only changes were the knob. It was an easy way to change the looks of an interior without redesigning every piece, along with relocating them. The other point to remember is the lighting system wasn't set up to function the same way our newer vehicles do so it may have been correct. Since you found a reproduction switch source, why not get that one.

• Like 1

while your switch is not exactly part for pin-out..the functions will be the same for the most part.  Without that exact application or the supplier of the part offering a mechanical drawing, most here would be at a total loss to advise.  In situations like this, the use of an ohm meter will probably be your best method of discovering the pin-out and thus wiring their post/studs to imitate the stock switch.  Locating a stock switch may or may not always be effective...finding a part number on the piece may or may not be available to inspect also.  Dealing with a person that has physically removed a used item is/my be your better bet and NOS in original package is the dream most chase.  I also highly recommend any older original lighting switch to be wired to operate a relay for the headlamps so to remove all the high current from the inner contacts of the switch..this relay and proper placement between the supply voltage and the input to the headlight dimmer will allows for use of only one relay and give the switch an extended life..

• Like 1