door edge weatherstripping

geopcanuk

Trying to find a source for the door edge and lower door weatherstrip.Chesters has the lower door(without tacks) but they are not sure that the door edge weather/s is part of their kit. Rest Spec are not sure until they order the kit in(what's with that?).Question is:Is there one good source that anyone has used that has both parts?VPW has the lower door but they are on backorder for now.Does VPW carry a decent door edge and lower door weatherstrip?What is the best way to fasten the weatherstripping...are the tacks still used or is an adhesive the preferred method now?

Is that the one that is tubular like windlacing around old car doors ? If so you could make that by wrapping some rubber gas line with black vinyl. Just an idea.

Like this ?

MVC-025F.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

New car door weatherstripping uses plastic tacks that may work well for you if you can't get the original style. They slip into holes in the back side of the molding and aren't seen from the front. Black weatherstrip adhesive is used on the corners to hold them accurately in position. Adhesive was used on most of the door stripping, at least over the top.

I used the rubber door strip for 48-53 Dodge Truck from clestersauto.com and it worked very well. They do sell just the door strips and not part of another larger kit. No nails, screws, or tacks, just glued it on.

Jeff

I used the rubber door strip for 48-53 Dodge Truck from clestersauto.com and it worked very well. They do sell just the door strips and not part of another larger kit. No nails' date=' screws, or tacks, just glued it on.

Jeff[/quote']

Thanks Jeff,do Chester's also carry the door "edge" rubber as shown in the pic?VPW,Roberts and RSSI says they don't.

George

George I think he was talking about Clester's not chesters and the part # for the door seal kit is 8225-6-7 for the 1948 to 1953 it uses Glue. Hope this helps Carl

Thanks Carl,I have talked to the people at CLesters and they are not sure whayt I am talking about,so I'll send them off a picture today.Have you ordered this kit and does it include the verticle piece that no one seems to have?

A company called Spaenaur in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada sells the product shown in the picture with blue background. They call it Windcord, it is on page H42. They sell it by the foot. It is used on the back edge of the front fender between the fender support and the cab. It is also on the edges of the small triangular piece of sheet metal the attaches to the inner fender liners at the rear below the front of the cab. It was also used in the door opening of the cab at the bottom where the filler sheet metal panel is screwed on. Sorry I could not find any pictures to clarify my descriptions. I used split copper rivets to install it.

Jim

A company called Spaenaur in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada sells the product shown in the picture with blue background. They call it Windcord, it is on page H42. They sell it by the foot. It is used on the back edge of the front fender between the fender support and the cab. It is also on the edges of the small triangular piece of sheet metal the attaches to the inner fender liners at the rear below the front of the cab. It was also used in the door opening of the cab at the bottom where the filler sheet metal panel is screwed on. Sorry I could not find any pictures to clarify my descriptions. I used split copper rivets to install it.

Jim

Thanks Jim...I have the Spaenaur catalog and know what you are referring to....great resource!I agree that in some trucks it was secured to the filler plate panel,but in this particular year the rubber was secured to the door and not the cab/filler plate.If you look at my pictures,you can see that the blue door has a groove and holes where I removed the old rubber.I can get that stuff from Clesters,my big hunt is on for the door edge rubber as shown on the red truck pic that Dennis_M(thx Dennis) provided in a previous post.He bought the truck with the rubber installed and was unable to help.So....the hunt is still on...won't give up easy.:cool:

thanks again,

George