I'm back

mrwrstory

Could someone kindly help me with a clearer picture or a drawing of the area where the steering column is mounted to the dash. I have a contoured aluminum "backer" plate that goes behind the dash. And I believe there is 'sposed to be a rubber pad on the outside where the column mount interfaces the dash.

Is the top half of the stock column mount contoured to match the under side of the dash or,.....is there some sort of spacer between the column mount and the dash sheet metal?

I have modified my column mount and am trying to understand if there is a stock part I need or,.....if I gotta make one.

Thanks for any/all input

aspurchased3a.jpgImg_0575aa.jpgHere's where I am now

• 2 weeks later...

So, I "rummage thru my stuff" and find this partially modified die-cast piece,...the top half of the Plymouth column mount. NOW I remember! :o As I'm using a modified 50 Ford column which has the shift column on top, I needed to match the Ford column drop to the curve on the bottom of the Plymouth dash. Within the interfacing spacer you see in the second photo is the Plymouth piece. I then modeled remaining transition with fiberglass reinforced Bondo.

Img_4056.jpg

I'll fill that hole and use a polished SS button head in place of that hex bolt.

Img_4100.jpg

Also, since last posting, I managed to fish the battery cables, mount the fuse panel and figure out a remote

master cylinder reservoir.

Img_4080.jpg

This is a Corvette M/C. Anything I could find with an integral reservoir would have required a hump in the floor.

All this plumbing seems a little fussy but it's all I could come up with giving consideration for brake lines pedals

and exhaust pipes. The filler tubes are virtually flush with the bottom of the floor.

Img_4083.jpg

The remote reservoir will be mounted on the firewall or inner fender panel.

Img_4091.jpg

I just like this pic. Kinda artsy! Shows the main ground connection which will terimate at the engine and the

drop-out crossmember which was conceived and fabricated 6 or 7 years ago.

Img_4085.jpg

found this plate along with the body number plate and I have no clue what it is. I kissed it lightly with Scotchbrite. No numbers or copy showed on either side. I'm pretty sure it was riveted to the firewall. It's 4.25" long

Any ideas

Img_4101.jpg

Looks like this (grabbed it off eBay).

post-309-13585362818357_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It took me forever to rediscover how the cool shift mechanism I conceived, years ago, went back together.

Thank goodness for copious digital pics.

Img_0620a.jpg

Img_0580a.jpg

I then had to fine tune the R&P mounting tab on the cross member to get a good angle and

simple connection between the steering rack and the steering shaft

Img_4180.jpg

Good clearance now for the starter (whose idea was it to put the starter on that side anyway?)

Img_4176.jpg

Img_4192.jpg

Now all I gotta do is figger how to get four exhaust pipes through there.:confused:

Zoomies?

I was thinkin 'bout something like that,...like, an exhaust dump at the lower portion of the front fender near the cowl. Do a baloney cut on the pipe flush with the surface of the fender. The bigger challenge is to get a block-off plate and headpipe route to the muffler stuffed into the space that already looks tight.

Haven't given up on that idea just yet 'tho.

Lotsa smaller incidentals and then the next BIG step is to pull the engine and trans to install new trans seals, install the torque conv. and paint the engine/trans package.

• 2 months later...

Okay fellers, here you go. I have not been sleepin but I've suffered from believing I could get things done sooner.

One excuse is I organized a trip to the Reno Air Races in late Sept. and that took away from my Plymouth ProJect.

Check the thread "Reno Air Races" if you'd like to ride along from So Cal to Reno for the best Motorsports action you'll ever experienced.

The dash is finally done ,...but for instruments.

Img_5569-14.jpg

-

Img_5534.jpg

-

The front suspension was done some time ago. However, I have just cleaned up the firewall, note the modifications

for the V8. Also installed the coil overs.

Img_5497.jpg

-

Installed a diff. cam, buttoned up the bottom end and painted the the engine and trans.

Planning to install the engine for the last time next week.

IMG_5334.jpg

-

Img_5565.jpg

I'm getting pretty excited for how this is all coming together!

Curious??? You kept the clutch pedal with the A500 trans? Really nice job A-1

It's a foot rest. Intertained my self with the idea that folks would stick their head in the window and figger it was a manual trans. :D

• Like 1

looks really good! What paint did you use for the firewall?

It's satin black bumper and trim paint. Available in both quarts and aerosol cans. Very close to Rustoleum satin black which is a quick and easy touchup also.

Starting to get exciting!!!!!

The painted engine and trans w/torque conv. installed,... drops in place as planned

Img_5656.jpg

-

Img_5680-14.jpg

-

Img_5675-14.jpg

-

Although the long range plan is to build headers, I went to the wrecking yard last week for exhaust manifolds to use

for the initial startup. Scored these really nice ones from a van that someone had removed in order to get to

the heads. Didn't even get my hands dirty.:P How often does that happen in a wrecking yard? The passenger side worked

better than expected. Note the engine is mounted high in the chassis,... for pan clearance. The car is really low.

Img_5687.jpg

-

Unfortunatelly the driver side manifold, a mirror image of the passenger side, was a great fit for connecting the exhaust

to the steering column.:(

Img_5692-14.jpg

-

With uncharacteristic forethought, I paid an extra $5-$6 each for the manifolds for the privilige of exchanging them.

There were quite a few options to choose from so I'm off to the wrecking yard for a second try!

I believe some of the later small blocks came with shorty headers...say maybe look to the 5.9 Jeep or R/T series truck..I had my eye open for a set at the last swap meet..did not see any..but on the average not much Mopar shows up..it's a secret society complete with handshake and passwords