I'm back

mrwrstory

There is an approximate 3 inch difference between the front and rear track widths.......

Broad hips on a fit woman works.  Fat however needs tasteful tayloring and decoration to divert attention.  :huh:  Am I profound or what?... :lol: 

[quote I'm trying to find the young man from the LA area who took the vent window hardware. Please contact me. I have more pieces I want to hand off. I'm on a garage cleaning mission.

Still tryin to find that young guy to hand off the vent window hardware. Please contact me.

Will you be opening the rear fender opening to the bar as the fronts are?  I have always felt that the rear fender openings were too small.  As I do not care for fender skirts on my cars or tail down profile prefer front lower profile like you are doing yours, I like it.

I don't think so. I tried that in this photo retouch and didn't like it. The rear fender started to look weak. Kissing the wheel rim with the opening (like the front)seemed to work best in this quick exploration. I will probably sketch full size on the car when getting ready to move metal.

• 2 months later...

Thot I'd give ya'll an update.....

Scanned what was covered since Jan. 1.  Ya, the wagon went,....and the 32 went too.    I'm asked often if I'm missing that beautiful wagon that I put so much work into,...NO!!!...it's Plop plop, fizz fiz, Oh what a relief it is!  :lol:  The first thought on that subject is always "RELIEF".  Got my life back w/o too much damage and smarter for the experience,...I hope.  The 32 sold in two weeks also, so I didn't have much time to get attached....Whew!

So,..back to Ol Faithful,...the one with the top, anyway.  My wife consented to join a weekend Winery Cruise next week.  Figgered I'd try to make the Plymouth a little more comfortable for her (and it needed to be done anyway).  Sound deadening mat is the first order of business.  It's a lot of cussin and scrapin to get to a good surface.  Of course I waited for hot weather so the job is even more miserable.

Here's a start,....

IMG_1843_zpsdba79702.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of starting the interior, I figger I gotta do something about a back seat.  Yes, I could adapt one from another car but figgered I'd check here first.  I HAVE checked the classifieds.

Does anyone, on the West coast, have one or have any tips on where to find one.  I'm recalling comments about wrecking yards in No Cal.

Another question is, "is the Club Coupe seat unique?"  Might a sedan seat be the same?

Edited by mrwrstory

Finked on the Winery Tour.  Was feelin punk.  Not a big deal for the wife 'cause she doesn't imbibe anyway.  I was disappointed 'tho because I was looking forward to sharing the fun of a cruise, in the Plymouth, with friends,... with her.

Scheese,....been a month already.  Back on the project.  Scored a rear seat which I will pick up the end of the week.  

In the meantime, I'm back on to the cleaner work.

IMG_1903_zps54fd0d7a.jpg

>

IMG_1902_zps6764aa7e.jpg

The black material is a lamination of butyl rubber, foil and a dense foam.  It's very effective.

IMG_1911_zps9f420329.jpg

>

IMG_1906_zps96d133b5.jpg

Made patterns from building construction paper for the mat which for the time being is cut from a Home Depot sourced $20.00 door mat.

IMG_1924_zps9d338a9b.jpg

Bill;

I dont remember, is that a dummy clutch pedal?

Yes, it's the stocker locked in place.  Now a footrest.

The idea gelled in the last century.  In my autoformative years, the '50s, automatic transmissions sucked.  Only manuals were fast.  We even developed a technique of driving automatics so it sounded like a manual shifting.  So, I imagined the ruse of a clutch pedal and the manual shifting column.  And, then when people looked in the car they would exclaim, "look, a manual tranny.   Most cars that old farts drive these days are automatics.  How cool is that!"  That was my fantasy anyway when I started the project.  Now I'm just another old fart with a footrest  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda got parallel projects goin on right now.

I scored a rear seat but decided the rebuilding of the frame and all those coils in little burlap baggies was either cost prohibitive or beyond my attention span.  I found a Vanagon fold down rear seat that provides springs and foam that I can modify with far less of a labor component.  Tomorrow I'll start the VW seat mod. and adaption to the P15 seat frame.  Check the beginnings,....

IMG_1979_zps572d044b.jpg

+

IMG_2042_zps53f8a619.jpg

The other project is the instrument cluster.  Tore into my dash stash and cleaned up everything I could disassemble.  Found a reasonable source for refurbing the speedo and another for converting the gauges to 12v, making the ammeter a voltmeter and making the fuel gauge to accept the signal from a Chevy sending unit.  That will certainly cost, dunno how much yet, but figgered it was beyond my expertise.

IMG_2036_zps3992583b.jpg

Couldn't resist putting it together just to see how it looks before sending it off for the modifications.

IMG_2040_zps418b1a3b.jpg

You are dead on about the 50's autos in the 50's. Sticks ruled. But now days my 1947 knee no longer works well clutchin. So I am looking for an auto swap. I dont think I could use the clutch pedal for a foot rest because I have been taught that riding the clutch is not good and old habits are very hard to break.

I remember well shifting an auto to make it sound like a stick. I sure miss the old days. Street racing will never be the same.

I used the stock seat frame as reference for modifying the Vanagon unit and building the remainder of the new seat.   

I took 7.5" outta the VW frame and foam.  The goal is to have the seating surfaces pretty much the same the as the original P15's. 

IMG_2078_zps26eed75f.jpg

-

IMG_2123_zpsf2e02a95.jpg

-

IMG_2109_zps2fa5e7dc.jpg

The void at the bottom of the backrest will be flushed out with new foam which also acts as a springy locater to keep

the seat base pushed forward and locked in.

IMG_2116_zpsa0305a53.jpg

• 1 month later...

Back to Ole Blue after the BC Boogie.

Still waiting on the converted gauges.  In the meantime I attacked the window regulator switch.  Didn't like the

little plastic switches provided with the window kit but they did the job initially.  On the wagon, I had electric

switches activated by the stock cranks.  Waaaay to 'spensive but I like the look.  I'll probably change the 

armrests which I installed near 10 years ago.  I'm now figgerin a more traditional looking interior,.... someday   :rolleyes: 

Picture001_zps718a6deb.jpg

^_^

Picture003_zps32773e0a.jpg